The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by im so academic
For Swansea? Well, if you're happy...

Please, could you go at least twenty seconds without disparaging any university that isn't Oxford or Cambridge?
Original post by TheSownRose
The fear of it probably keeps them awake at night.

oh you.
One thing I can't get my head around is people who regard anything that isn't oxbridge as not worth going to. So what, if someone wants to study at Lancaster instead of Cambridge, who is anyone to judge them for it?

I'm not applying to oxbridge purely because I won't get the grades lol. But on a lesser scale, I've been to visit MANY different universities, some of which are "prestigious", yet Reading is my favourite. I like their links with industry, their campus and the general vibe of the place. I would pick there over anywhere else - it makes me laugh how some people cannot comprehend this, university status is NOT the be all and end all.

If people want to go to Oxbridge and get in, very very well done. But it really isn't for everyone. Deal with it.

Edit - whoever negged me, you're a ****
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by booksnob
Not exactly as you described in the OP (did they even have UCAS in the eighties?) but my uncle got into Oxford but dropped out in the first term and went to Swansea instead.

I can see why. :awesome:
Original post by juzjump
lad in my school rejected oxford as he got another offer from MIT in america, physics i think he did

sheldon cooper?
i imagine a lot of medics do as the course is so different to other med schools
Original post by mazzie111
I did at first. But then i realised what if doesn't matter because it wasn't what i wanted. :smile:

So you're perfectly fine about everything then?

In that case, good luck. :smile:
Original post by im so academic
So you're perfectly fine about everything then?

In that case, good luck. :smile:

yep i am
Reply 228
I don't think anyone would reject oxbridge except for America e.g. Harvard, Brown, Yale.

Those 3 are juggernaut educational institutions.
Original post by David9
I don't think anyone would reject oxbridge except for America e.g. Harvard, Brown, Yale.

Those 3 are juggernaut educational institutions.

Brown?! I thought it was good, but not on a par with Harvard or Cambridge.
Yeah, girl went to my college who was crazily intelligent, and only applied to reject it, because she hated Oxford Uni and everything it stood for.
Original post by harrietta
Yeah, girl went to my college who was crazily intelligent, and only applied to reject it, because she hated Oxford Uni and everything it stood for.

What does it stand for?
Original post by dnumberwang
What does it stand for?

Obvious X-Rays Fight Or Rape Doctors, Unashamedly Nor Innocently
Original post by dnumberwang
What does it stand for?

Well, you better ask her that. To be fair she was this african girl and was pretty sure she wouldn't fit in and just didn't like Oxford. Not everyone does you know.
Cambridge to go to Imperial. Wanted to stay in London being the main reason.
Reply 235
I rejected Cambridge to go to Durham.
Durham has a much better archaeology department and you don't have to do anthropology for the first year.
I rejected an Oxford offer if anyone cares
Reply 237
my friend did because oxford don't offer an opportunity to stay abroad on a language course more than one semester when he wants to spend atleast a year studying abroad!but hes going to a different Russel group Uni (Leeds) :smile:

hey why am i being neg rated for this? :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mabelbarc
my friend did because oxford don't offer an opportunity to stay abroad on a language course more than one semester when he wants to spend atleast a year studying abroad!but hes going to a different Russel group Uni (Leeds) :smile:

:lolwut:

Your friend is either lying, can't read or is seriously misinformed :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Your friend is either lying, can't read or is seriously misinformed :yes:

Agreed, I swear you go on a year abroad for one year. Plus, Oxford has long holidays = more time abroad.

I call bull****.

Latest

Trending

Trending