The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
I wasted no time typing it, actually :wink:
Of course it is, because you are the one and only person reading this thread, therefore you are the one and only person whose viewpoint is valid :rolleyes:
You're actually responsible for making it successful. Discussion makes for an interesting read, thanks!! :biggrin:

This isn't a discussion. This is everyone on TSR telling you your advice is rubbish. There's nothing to discuss.
Of course it doesn't make me superior - more sensible, yes - and neither did I imply that :rolleyes:

Self-respect goes further than being married - it's a shame very few ppl exercise it :smile:

I fail to see how someone who doesn't have sex before marriage is more sensible than someone who has careful, protected pre-marital sex.
Of course, they are both more sensible than somebody who shags everything that moves without thinking of the consequences.
Original post by RightSaidJames
And this is why threads like this don't work. One person can't give the answers to all the problems because they are inherently biased.

Because the people who take the time to offer their own personal advice may find it offensive for someone to come along claiming to have definitively solved all of the problems. To take your own argument and throw it back at you; no one forces you to read the "boring, moany threads"; if you wanted to you could just read the interesting, non-moany ones.

Very true. :wink:
Reply 43
Original post by py0alb
This isn't a discussion. This is everyone on TSR telling you your advice is rubbish. There's nothing to discuss.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

:hmmm:
I see your point but complaining about ppl trying to help others does not make you any more or less right than me :smile:

That's not what I said or meant. What I do mean is that your advice is either common sense, overly simplified, opinion disguised as fact, or just plain wrong.

Who cares if it's inherently biased, or if some ppl dont like it - it's interesting, it's created discussion, therefore it has been a success :biggrin:

Advice that comes across as authoritative or definitive should not be inherently biased.
Original post by aeterno
If it didn't work then, it's not going to work now.

It worked, better than it has now :smile:
I made the mistake of going Anon though :tongue:
Reply 46
It worked, better than it has now :smile:
I made the mistake of going Anon though :tongue:

Tbf, it didn't work for long. Those threads were back within no time. :p:
Original post by py0alb

If my advice is so 'rubbish', why did you 'waste your time' reading it??
And if you didn't read it, then why did you waste your time complaining about something you have no idea you're complaining about??
Original post by aeterno
Tbf, it didn't work for long. Those threads were back within no time. :p:

In which case, why don't you make an effort :tongue:
I thought it'd be interesting and different - I've seen it work for others yet something about the way I type gets ppl all het up :confused:
I guess I just have the gift of being able to make something out of nothing :tongue: lol.
And if you didn't read it, then why did you waste your time complaining about something you have no idea you're complaining about??

Because people who give bad or biased advice shouldn't go unchallenged.
Reply 50

Well I didn't know it was rubbish until after I read it, did I? :rolleyes:

And yes, the reason I am taking the time to tell you it was rubbish is so a) other people realise this and seek better advice elsewhere, and b) you realise it and perhaps re-assess your position.
Reply 51

Do you think I give a sh... toss :wink:
I am making an effort- which is more than can be said for most TSRers :smile:

You replace one swearword with another? Why?
Reply 52
In which case, why don't you make an effort :tongue:
I thought it'd be interesting and different - I've seen it work for others yet something about the way I type gets ppl all het up :confused:
I guess I just have the gift of being able to make something out of nothing :tongue: lol.

Meh, I quite enjoy taking the piss out of some of the more stupid threads. Gives me a sense of entitlement or whatnot. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic) :colonhash:
I don't think it's the way you type so much as people believing your views are wasted. It's not going to stop people and even if it does temporarily, newbies will bring them back in no time.
Reply 53
* There is this magical thing call will power, use it. You may think me patronising for making out ppl who have sex outside of Marriage are wrong, but they are. Not only wrong, but selfish - the possibility of creating a new life and then teaching them the wrong way of acting in life is disgusting.

Yes. Because obviously if you have sex, you will get pregnant, and if you get pregnant outside of marriage, there is a 100% chance that the baby's life will be ****ed. Obviously contraception does not exist, unmarried people are dreadful parents, and everybody who is married is automatically going to be fantastic at childrearing.

* If nothing helps you get out of a cycle of depression, see your GP or a Counsellor - there's no need for depression when there's so many good things to enjoy in Life!!
* DO NOT result to drinking, self-harming or drugs - they will only make the cycle worse and lead to further depression, exercise will power!!

Because obviously people who have problems with alcohol, self-harm or drugs are just weak and lack willpower. And obviously they've chosen to ignore all the 'good things' in life and be depressed.

* Have a bath, change your style and get on with life.
* You ARE NOT the only person on the planet - deal.with.it.

Evidently, if you hate how you look, spending time in the bath, in which you're pretty much forced to look at your own body for a prolonged period of time, is not going to help at all :rolleyes: And telling people who hate themselves that they're totally insignificant is pretty damned counterproductive.

It must be nice to be you and live in a world where every problem is so easily solved.
Sorry for this reply, but I honestly don't think you can reduce every problem to a single generic response, which in some cases is clearly biased to your way of thinking.

H&R is here for a reason, people will still post those threads, and people will still offer different perspectives and sources of help (as well as the unevitable wisecracks).
Now you've solved the H&R forum's problems can you tackle the financial crisis, the situation in the middle east, the Japan earthquake and world poverty? Oh, and pull your head out of your arse. Cheers.
(edited 13 years ago)
You've gone about it the wrong way again.

This isn't how you post motivational/helpful posts.

"Get over it"? Isn't really a nice thing to say nor realistic either.

Improved over the last one though.
I'm sorry but... you seem quite bossy and seem to act as though you know everything, when really, you can't.
Firstly, you started off your thread saying you hate reading those kinds of thread you described, then you said people aren't obliged to read this or reply to it... surely you are reading and replying to their threads right now?
And secondly, no you don't know everything about everyones problems. People need reassurance from people with genuine experiences, and when you have problems of your own it often makes you feel a little better to see other people have the same issues.
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
I'm sorry but... you seem quite bossy and seem to act as though you know everything, when really, you can't.
Firstly, you started off your thread saying you hate reading those kinds of thread you described, then you said people aren't obliged to read this or reply to it... surely you are reading and replying to their threads right now?
And secondly, no you don't know everything about everyones problems. People need reassurance from people with genuine experiences, and when you have problems of your own it often makes you feel a little better to see other people have the same issues.

I am quite bossy though I don't pretend to know everything :smile:
I don't know everything about everyone's problems, neither did I claim to, but I thought it'd be nice to post this again because the response I had last time was ok :smile:
I got some fantastic msgs from ppl thanking me, so I thought it might be a good idea to help newer TSR H&R Forum posters :tongue:
I am quite bossy though I don't pretend to know everything :smile:
I don't know everything about everyone's problems, neither did I claim to, but I thought it'd be nice to post this again because the response I had last time was ok :smile:
I got some fantastic msgs from ppl thanking me, so I thought it might be a good idea to help newer TSR H&R Forum posters :tongue:

alright...
:creep:

Latest

Trending

Trending