The Student Room Group

Leeds Met will not charge £9000, but £8,500 fees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diffusion
I laughed. Then I cried.

So I suppose that's the Coalition's claim that universities can only charge above £6000 in exceptional circumstances blown out of the water then eh.

Total bull****. Can't believe people actually believed that. It seems pretty obvious that more or less every university is going to charge above £6000.
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
This revelation isn't as funny as the one the Daily Mail claimed a while back that "The University of East London would need to charge the same as Imperial and UCL [£9,000] otherwise students would think it was a second rate university" :lolwut:

I've yet to read another tabloid sentence this year that made laugh as hard as that one

:rofl: Second rate?

They wish. :wink:
Original post by TikiTiki
I did my first degree at Leeds Met (hated it) and paid £2k a year - no way is my course worth £8.5k a year!! It was poor quality and the uni has a bad rep. Why not pay an extra £1500 and go to a university with better prospects and teaching? :confused:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/110315_1.html

Or go to a better university and get it for less. :ahee:
Original post by llys
Because many students won't have this option, either because they have to go to a local university (for personal reasons),

Tough.

because their course is not offered elsewhere,

Such as?

or because they don't meet the entry requirements for a "better" university.

Their own fault.
Reply 64
Original post by im so academic
Such as?

e.g. Primary Teaching, Furniture Design, some sandwich Engineering courses etc.

Tough.
Their own fault.

No, just life... some people do have "personal circumstances", and some people are less smart than others. It's just a fact of life, I don't see any reason to be snooty about it either way.

So, most of those students who currently go there will most probably still choose to go there, because they made that choice for a reason. Their personal circumstances are not suddenly going to change for the better, and/or they are not going to turn smart over night. Therefore, I think it is unlikely that Leeds Met is going to run out of students any time soon.

I'm not implying that this is a good or a bad thing. I don't particularly care.
(edited 13 years ago)
Leeds Met lol. :ahee:

But on a more serious note, the ex-polys are in a tricky situation here. If they don't charge a sufficiently high amount, they will reinforce the notion that they are not worth going to; if they charge too much then nobody will want to go since they could go to a more prestigious university for the same price.
Reply 66
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
nobody will want to go since they could go to a more prestigious university for the same price.

No, I think this is really not true. Many people will not be able to go to a prestigious university for the same reason that they currently don't: they won't get in. Leeds Met will always have a market.

+ I think that the government, or universities, or teachers (whose schools will soon be judged by how many pupils they get into universities...!* ) will eventually persuade students that the loan is not a debt but a graduate tax that they may not even have to pay back, the current fear of it will die down, I think, and students will choose pretty much as they do now.

*Gove's idea, not mine. :wink:
Original post by llys
e.g. Primary Teaching, Furniture Design, some sandwich Engineering courses etc.

Go to a better university, LOL - do you need a degree for that, go to an Engineering foundation course at a better university.

No, just life... some people do have "personal circumstances", and some people are less smart than others. It's just a fact of life, I don't see any reason to be snooty about it either way.

Well, if they want to pay £8.5k, let them. :dontknow:

So, most of those students who currently go there will most probably still choose to go there, because they made that choice for a reason. Their personal circumstances are not suddenly going to change for the better, and/or they are not going to turn smart over night. Therefore, I think it is unlikely that Leeds Met is going to run out of students any time soon.

So what is this bull**** about people saying the high fees will make poorer students less likely to apply to Oxbridge etc?

Leeds Met lol. :ahee:

But on a more serious note, the ex-polys are in a tricky situation here. If they don't charge a sufficiently high amount, they will reinforce the notion that they are not worth going to; if they charge too much then nobody will want to go since they could go to a more prestigious university for the same price.

Well it begs the question, ARE they worth going to?
Well it begs the question, ARE they worth going to?

Depends really.
If you can only get into a poor uni, then even that is better than not having a degree at all.
And as you have agreed before, it does depend on the course (what it is and if it is accredited etc).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by llys
No, I think this is really not true. Many people will not be able to go to a prestigious university for the same reason that they currently don't: they won't get in. Leeds Met will always have a market.

+ I think that the government, or universities, or teachers (whose schools will soon be judged by how many pupils they get into universities...!* ) will eventually persuade students that the loan is not a debt but a graduate tax that they may not even have to pay back, the current fear of it will die down, I think, and students will choose pretty much as they do now.

*Gove's idea, not mine. :wink:

Frankly, people who aren't able to get into a better university than Leeds Met and are willing to pay £8.5K a year (+ debt, + maintenance loan, + maintenance loan debt) for a course there, or at similar universities, really need to look at their priorities. I would have trouble justifying anything but an Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial or Durham degree for that kind of price tag. I wouldn't be on my course at Leicester now if a degree cost that much.
Reply 71
Leeds...met :lolwut: :no:
Original post by WelshBluebird
Depends really.
If you can only get into a poor uni, then even that is better than not having a degree at all.

Yes, a 3rd in Entertainment Management is definitely better than having no degree at all. :rolleyes:

And as you have agreed before, it does depend on the course (what it is and if it is accredited etc).

Yes, it does. :smile:
Reply 73
Frankly, people who aren't able to get into a better university than Leeds Met and are willing to pay £8.5K a year (+ debt, + maintenance loan, + maintenance loan debt) for a course there, or at similar universities, really need to look at their priorities. I would have trouble justifying anything but an Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial or Durham degree for that kind of price tag. I wouldn't be on my course at Leicester now if a degree cost that much.

That is you, today, and I think many 6th form pupils would agree with you today. But I honestly think that in three years nobody is going to give a ****.

im so academic
So what is this bull**** about people saying the high fees will make poorer students less likely to apply to Oxbridge etc?

It's just that, bull****. Oxbridge are not going to attract significantly more or fewer poor students than they are currently just because of tuition fees. (Likely more, in fact, assuming that a poor student smart enough to potentially get into Oxbridge will be able to figure out how bursaries and fee waivers work.)
Yes, a 3rd in Entertainment Management is definitely better than having no degree at all. :rolleyes:

But a 1st in politics or Law Or History etc etc would be better than having no degree at all. Again, it all depends on the course :smile:.
Original post by MM1234
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12879817

Leeds Metropolitan has become the first of the newer, less selective group of universities to officially announce its new fee level.

Announcing the fee level, the chair of the board at Leeds Metropolitan University, Lord Woolmer of Leeds, said: "We are totally committed to providing a high quality student experience.

Original post by should be revising
@18-02-2011: 02:05

Before you know it even the 'bad' universities will be raising fees to £9,000 to show that they 'are committed to providing high quality education' or some bulls*** like that.

Reply 76

I'm curious: what would be your alternative? An apprenticeship? Good luck with that!

Unless the government seriously expands - and I mean EXPANDS - apprenticeships, as in, 50% of 16-18 year olds can get apprenticeship places, degrees will always have more value than no degrees. Simply because businesses which currently don't offer apprenticeships ( = many) will hire graduates INSTEAD.

That also implies that at the moment (and in the future, if nothing changes in the apprenticeship market) a graduate applying for those jobs doesn't have to be particularly high quality at the moment. It would be different if those graduates had to compete with very well trained apprentices - but they don't because there are so FEW apprenticeships, that there essentially are no well trained apprentices to compete with!
Reply 77
Well, if they want to pay £8.5k, let them. :dontknow:

1. Ah, but they won't pay it. :wink: The government will.
2. They currently do not really have a better alternative.

Think about it. Yes, some people could go straight into a job instead (if they found one). But would that really make them better off? Really? Why?

You do not have to pay back the student loan if you don't earn more than the threshold. So you might as well go to university. You lose nothing at all by it! It does not matter what university you go to, or what you study. Leeds Met students on average will lose even less by it than Oxbridge students, because Leeds Met students will pay back much less over their life time! So they might as well go. I really do not see why people think they would be put off going provided that they understand that (and government, universities and teachers are going to make sure they will). :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Personally i think that this is a good thing for Leeds Met.

By charging these high fees and given the figures we have seen, they will likely make a bigger profit. Being in a city like Leeds, they will still be flooded with applicants and such in a few years may be able to raise the requirements and jump up the league tables.

For the currently 'poor' universities (although i have always thought of Leeds Met as average, it is just in the shadow of Leeds Uni), i think that if you can maintain applicant numbers then this is a good thing (Leeds Met also has a lot of international/mature/poor students already so minimal impact), it you are a por university and cannot maintain applicant numbers, then they are screwed.
Original post by theronkinator
Funniest joke so far this month.

I personally found essex charging 9000 to be funnier....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending