The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for Work Placement

Year abroad is a 'mandatory' part of my course and I'm planning to do a work placement in Germany. It's a paid role (c. 900 Euro/month) but wondering what do I do re. maintenance loan? Do I receive it as normal on top of the salary or do they reduce/cut it (if they find out I'm taking paid work, do they even find out?). I'm pretty sure if it wasn't part of my course they'd just not pay it but as it's part of the course is it different?
Original post by hr27898
Year abroad is a 'mandatory' part of my course and I'm planning to do a work placement in Germany. It's a paid role (c. 900 Euro/month) but wondering what do I do re. maintenance loan? Do I receive it as normal on top of the salary or do they reduce/cut it (if they find out I'm taking paid work, do they even find out?). I'm pretty sure if it wasn't part of my course they'd just not pay it but as it's part of the course is it different?

Hi there, Are you dong a full year paid placement? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Are you dong a full year paid placement? Thanks, Angela

Hi,

It'll be around 9 months
Original post by hr27898
Hi,

It'll be around 9 months

Hi there, Will you be attending your university for 10 weeks or more during the academic year or less? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Will you be attending your university for 10 weeks or more during the academic year or less? Thanks, Angela

I would not as the placement is from October to June. Thanks
Original post by hr27898
I would not as the placement is from October to June. Thanks

Hi there, Just to confirm your university will be charging you a reduce fee amount for that year? Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Yes I believe it's around 15% of the usual £9000
Original post by hr27898
Yes I believe it's around 15% of the usual £9000

Hi there. In this case of a paid overseas placement, you would be entitled to the reduced rate of Maintenance Loan. The amount will depend on the Academic Year and is calculated using the household income. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 8
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. In this case of a paid overseas placement, you would be entitled to the reduced rate of Maintenance Loan. The amount will depend on the Academic Year and is calculated using the household income. Thanks, Leah.

Thank you, is there anywhere I can see a rough estimate on how much that would be?
Original post by hr27898
Thank you, is there anywhere I can see a rough estimate on how much that would be?

We don't have online resources for this, sorry. In the 23/24 Academic Year, the reduced rate Maintenance Loan for overseas students was £3022. Thanks, Leah.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending