The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluesky42
So I was looking through my accommodation pack today, and I have a couple of questions:

1) The only halls which specified individual internet access were Holbein, Falmouth and Selkirk. Does this mean that none of the other halls have internet in rooms?

2) Holbein doesn't specify "safe bike storage" like some of the others do. Is there somewhere I can keep a bike anyway?

Shock horror what accommodation pack is this? :eek: Where did you get it from I mean because I would love one myself :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 221
Original post by nikita_atikin
Shock horror what accommodation pack is this? :eek: Where did you get it from I mean because I would love one myself :smile:

I thought this accommodation pack thing was a rumour too!
Original post by Zottula

Kita wants. :frown:
Reply 223

Kita can't have.
Original post by Zottula
Kita can't have.

Kita can has if she asks Imperial nicely :yep:

Original post by Zottula

Haha, it's not really a pack. More a booklet. I got it at my interview (which freaked me because I thought it was tempting fate :tongue:) but I think it's also available at open days.

Yeah I'm sure they can get you one if you ask!

This freaked me out so much. Mainly because my name is often shortened to "kita" and I thought I wrote that...strange times...
Reply 226
Haha, it's not really a pack. More a booklet. I got it at my interview (which freaked me because I thought it was tempting fate :tongue:) but I think it's also available at open days.

Yeah I'm sure they can get you one if you ask!

This freaked me out so much. Mainly because my name is often shortened to "kita" and I thought I wrote that...strange times...

Oooooooh. That's ok then. I got a little booklet from my interview as well. Although it doesn't have any more information than the website.
Original post by Zottula
Oooooooh. That's ok then. I got a little booklet from my interview as well. Although it doesn't have any more information than the website.

I know, but I'm really old-fashioned and I like turning pages and folding them down...

I really shouldn't be going to Imperial College of Science and Technology, should I? :ninja:
Reply 228
I know, but I'm really old-fashioned and I like turning pages and folding them down...

I really shouldn't be going to Imperial College of Science and Technology, should I? :ninja:

Hehe. I'm a bit old fashioned myself actually :colondollar:.
Must.have.booklet.now.

Aha really? :tongue: What is your name then? Because I am referred t0 as Kita or Keet-Keet a fair amount.

Original post by Zottula
Hehe. I'm a bit old fashioned myself actually :colondollar:.

I know what you mean by that though, it's totally different when you turn the pages in front of you! It must be a girl thing :colondollar:
Reply 231
So I was looking through my accommodation pack today, and I have a couple of questions:

1) The only halls which specified individual internet access were Holbein, Falmouth and Selkirk. Does this mean that none of the other halls have internet in rooms?

2) Holbein doesn't specify "safe bike storage" like some of the others do. Is there somewhere I can keep a bike anyway?

1) Every room in Imperial Halls of Residence have a phone socket and an internet socket. As Imperial is an ISP, it'd be silly not to roll out the service to all halls. They'd have to reduce the prices of the rooms without internet significantly. I've a feeling that the Holbein/Falmouth/Selkirk thing is to do with having a wireless connection to college. You're not allowed to use your own wireless router to connect to the internet in halls, due to security risks.

2) I know people who've kept bikes around Willis Jackson, so you shouldn't have a problem. I'm guessing the easiest place is on the railings outside/opposite, but I'm not sure on the security or legality of leaving them around. HWJ is close enough to not require a bike, unless you want to shorten your 20 minute journey that much.
Original post by Cyco
1) Every room in Imperial Halls of Residence have a phone socket and an internet socket. As Imperial is an ISP, it'd be silly not to roll out the service to all halls. They'd have to reduce the prices of the rooms without internet significantly. I've a feeling that the Holbein/Falmouth/Selkirk thing is to do with having a wireless connection to college. You're not allowed to use your own wireless router to connect to the internet in halls, due to security risks.

2) I know people who've kept bikes around Willis Jackson, so you shouldn't have a problem. I'm guessing the easiest place is on the railings outside/opposite, but I'm not sure on the security or legality of leaving them around. HWJ is close enough to not require a bike, unless you want to shorten your 20 minute journey that much.

Cyco, is it true that you're only allowed one wall socket and can't use a divider?
Reply 233
Original post by freefrag
Cyco, is it true that you're only allowed one wall socket and can't use a divider?

You're allowed to use as many sockets as you are originally given. You're officially not allowed to expand the number of power sockets in a room. You may think you can hide it somewhere, but remember that the cleaners have access to your room, on the designated cleaning day, so they might stumble across it, and report it (has happened before).

Normally, you'll get between 4-6 sockets per room - it depends on the room size, the location of the room, and the actual Hall. It's normally always enough, unless you plan on having every appliance you own, plugged in all at once.
Original post by Cyco
You're allowed to use as many sockets as you are originally given. You're officially not allowed to expand the number of power sockets in a room. You may think you can hide it somewhere, but remember that the cleaners have access to your room, on the designated cleaning day, so they might stumble across it, and report it (has happened before).

Normally, you'll get between 4-6 sockets per room - it depends on the room size, the location of the room, and the actual Hall. It's normally always enough, unless you plan on having every appliance you own, plugged in all at once.

Right, so if I want to use a surge protector - do I have to find one with only one socket? Or can I get one with a few sockets, then report that I'm only using it to power one device.
Reply 235
Original post by freefrag
Right, so if I want to use a surge protector - do I have to find one with only one socket? Or can I get one with a few sockets, then report that I'm only using it to power one device.

I'd check once you had gotten to halls. I know they've allowed surge protectors before, if you've got a desktop/monitor/psc setup. To be fair, if they find out you've got an extension within the first few weeks, and they're not happy, you'll just be warned not to do it again.
Original post by Cyco
I'd check once you had gotten to halls. I know they've allowed surge protectors before, if you've got a desktop/monitor/psc setup. To be fair, if they find out you've got an extension within the first few weeks, and they're not happy, you'll just be warned not to do it again.

So hang on a sec, I'm going to REALLY embarass myself here but I can only use the sockets on the actual walls yeah?
And I cant use one of these? (Sorry I don't know what they're called :s-smilie: - divider?)

Also, how exactly do you connect to the internet then? How does it work? :s-smilie: In simple terms please, because I kind of suck when it comes to hardware and fixing and stuff. Also, I take it there are dishwashers, washing machines (coin operated, I'm guessing) and tumble dryers around? And do most single rooms have a wash basin in them at least?

Sorry for all the questions and the blatant illiteracy I've managed to produce in this post. :s-smilie:
Original post by sydneysmith
What size bedding should one buy? Are the 'single' beds actually Twin XL size like they are in North America?

Single beds are like the ones 1 person sleeps on.
Original post by Cyco

Thank you! I thought it would be a bit strange to only have three halls with internet in rooms. Okay well this expands my options a lot so I can find other places with bike storage - I think I'll want it just for general getting to and from places, not just going to Imperial.

Sorry for all the questions and the blatant illiteracy I've managed to produce in this post. :s-smilie:

I'm so glad I won't be the only one who doesn't get this stuff!

Also, about the name thing, I swear you said somewhere your name isn't actually nikita... Yeah I have kita and keets mainly...I feel a bit strange divulging it on the internet, but it basically has an extra syllable before the kita lol :tongue:
Reply 239
So hang on a sec, I'm going to REALLY embarass myself here but I can only use the sockets on the actual walls yeah?
And I cant use one of these? (Sorry I don't know what they're called :s-smilie: - divider?)

Also, how exactly do you connect to the internet then? How does it work? :s-smilie: In simple terms please, because I kind of suck when it comes to hardware and fixing and stuff. Also, I take it there are dishwashers, washing machines (coin operated, I'm guessing) and tumble dryers around? And do most single rooms have a wash basin in them at least?

Yes, assuming the rules haven't changed, you can't use an extension (hint: the name's in the picture name :tongue:). I guess if you can make a good enough case for needing that many sockets, then talk to your Hall Wardening team.

As Imperial is the Internet Service Provider (ISP) you don't need a router to get onto the internet. You just need to go buy a cheap 'internet' cable, and plug one end into the internet socket (normally the socket that doesn't have a phone attached), and the other end into your computer. You'll be asked to log in with your Imperial ID, and then within the next 15 minutes you should be able to use that computer anywhere on campus.

If you're in Halls lucky enough to have a wireless connection, then it's roughly the same method - although I think they've streamlined it. There are instructions all over Halls as to how to connect anyway.

If your computer breaks, then the ICT help desk actually seems to know what they're doing most of the time, so you can always pester them, or befriend some DoC students, or become nerdier and do-it-yourself.

Hall kitchens all have sinks, and I'm pretty sure you're not given dish-washers, sorry :tongue:. Each Hall has got a laundry room, with coin operated washing machines, and tumble driers.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all rooms have a wash basin.

Illiteracy? By the end of a 4 year course where you use two letter abbreviations for everything, and whenever you type something out relating to your subject, it sounds like the title of a recently published paper - you lose the ability to read and write properly anyway.

Next!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending