The Student Room Group

McGill vs UCL

Hey there :smile:

I'm an international student and have been accepted in both McGill and UCL for :

- Information Management for Business (UCL)
- McGill ( May choose economics and international development)

My main goal is to pursue my graduate studies in the US ( preferably an Ivy school) and work there. What would be the best option?

Where is the better place to live : London or Montreal ?

Does McGill < UCL ?

Thanks for your answers :wink:
Reply 1
Have been to both cities, it's a bit of a personal taste but in my opinion London is a far bigger and better city, also much more expensive of course. Also bear in mind that Montreal is a french-speaking city and not everyone over there can speak a very good English, although you probably will be fine. Just keep that in mind.

Both are really good universities with excellent reputation. I think UCL has a bit better ranking/reputation and I expect you'll finish faster in UCL as well. I would go for UCL if I were you mainly because of London.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm currently at McGill finishing my Bachelor's and going to Imperial for my Master's next year. I have lived in Montreal for almost 4 years now, and I've been to London many times, but not lived there permanently (yet).

I can tell you that both cities are awesome. I've also lived in Washington DC and Paris and I prefer living in Montreal by far. In both cities (London+MTL) you will have lots of fun and meet a bunch of great people. Both places are very "open" as in very multi-cultural, tolerant, cosmopolitan and just generally amazing in my opinion.

As I said, I haven't permanently lived in London yet, but I can tell you that next year I'll be paying double the rent that I'm paying here in Montreal, even though I now live right downtown, 5 minutes (walking) from McGill and next year I'll be living 30 minutes from Imperial by bus... So London is definitely more expensive.

In terms of school, both are great (as mentioned already). I don't know too much about UCL, I applied there because I knew it had an excellent reputation but can't really tell you about their Arts programs. I know that Econ at McGill is one of the best in Canada (the uni as a whole is considered in the top 3 with UofT and UBC).

To be honest, I think it depends on what you want to do later. US grad schools will know that both schools are top-notch. But for your career, it can play an important role:
If you see yourself developing a career in North America, I would say McGill definitely because even though UCL is an excellent school, not many people have heard of it here in Canada/USA.
And it's exactly the opposite if you want a career in Europe. How many people have heard of McGill in the UK/Europe? 1 in 10? Not even I bet...

In your case, I would go to McGill, but of course I'm completely biased because I'm there now and absolutely love it...

Good luck for you decision!

PS: yes, Montreal is bilingual, but McGill is an english-speaking university (one of the only ones in Quebec), so all the courses (other than language courses) are in english. Plus, the whole downtown area is considered the english "side" of Montreal so you will NEVER have any problems with language as everybody within a 20 km radius around McGill speaks english fluently. The only way you could find Canadians that only speak french is if you venture out in the suburbs off the island of Montreal... I know many Americans who don't speak a word of french (other than bonjour :biggrin:) and they've never had any trouble communicating outside the uni...
Reply 3
My mother is from Belgium, so I'm fluent in French :smile:

So McGill would be a better choice, considering that I want to work/study in the US?

How is McGill? (silly question maybe :tongue: )
Does the university offer many internship opportunities?

I've heard that the school's reputation is getting worse and worse and that McGill is completely broke !! Is that true ? Hope not...It would be risky to go there and then have a ''crappy/worthless'' degree :/
I don't know who's been telling you about McGill, but that's not really how it is over here..
That's the 1st time I hear McGill's rep has been on the decline.

And what does "McGill is completely broke" mean?? Obviously you have a very skewed view of McGill, so I don't really understand what attracts you to go there...

McGill is a publicly-funded university and is going through an economic recession, just like all the other unis. Recently, the provincial government cut a large part of its funding to Quebec universities and therefore McGill will raise tuition fees across the board during the next few years (progressive increase I think).

It's exactly the same situation as UK universities who will raise their fees starting in 2012... Does that mean UK universities are "completely broke"?

"Crappy worthless degree"??? WOW :confused: If that's how you see McGill in the near future, then I don't suggest you come to Canada because McGill is, and will remain, one of the best schools in the country.
Reply 5
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings in anyway but that's what an old student from my school said to me, so don't you think it's legitimate to ask for more feedback ? Especially when It turned out to be not true...
It's not how I see the university, I mean if I did why would I even apply there and consider
going ?!
No don't worry you didn't hurt my feelings. I was just really surprised by what you wrote.

I don't know where your friend got this information but I just wanted to reassure you that it's completely false. I don't know what else he/she told you, but I wouldn't trust those opinions too much...

In the end, McGill and UCL are both excellent schools so I'd suggest figuring out whether you'd rather go to London or Montreal.
Reply 7
Original post by chad_bro_chill
I'm currently at McGill finishing my Bachelor's and going to Imperial for my Master's next year. I have lived in Montreal for almost 4 years now, and I've been to London many times, but not lived there permanently (yet).

I can tell you that both cities are awesome. I've also lived in Washington DC and Paris and I prefer living in Montreal by far. In both cities (London+MTL) you will have lots of fun and meet a bunch of great people. Both places are very "open" as in very multi-cultural, tolerant, cosmopolitan and just generally amazing in my opinion.

As I said, I haven't permanently lived in London yet, but I can tell you that next year I'll be paying double the rent that I'm paying here in Montreal, even though I now live right downtown, 5 minutes (walking) from McGill and next year I'll be living 30 minutes from Imperial by bus... So London is definitely more expensive.

In terms of school, both are great (as mentioned already). I don't know too much about UCL, I applied there because I knew it had an excellent reputation but can't really tell you about their Arts programs. I know that Econ at McGill is one of the best in Canada (the uni as a whole is considered in the top 3 with UofT and UBC).

To be honest, I think it depends on what you want to do later. US grad schools will know that both schools are top-notch. But for your career, it can play an important role:
If you see yourself developing a career in North America, I would say McGill definitely because even though UCL is an excellent school, not many people have heard of it here in Canada/USA.
And it's exactly the opposite if you want a career in Europe. How many people have heard of McGill in the UK/Europe? 1 in 10? Not even I bet...

In your case, I would go to McGill, but of course I'm completely biased because I'm there now and absolutely love it...

Good luck for you decision!

PS: yes, Montreal is bilingual, but McGill is an english-speaking university (one of the only ones in Quebec), so all the courses (other than language courses) are in english. Plus, the whole downtown area is considered the english "side" of Montreal so you will NEVER have any problems with language as everybody within a 20 km radius around McGill speaks english fluently. The only way you could find Canadians that only speak french is if you venture out in the suburbs off the island of Montreal... I know many Americans who don't speak a word of french (other than bonjour :biggrin:) and they've never had any trouble communicating outside the uni...

Interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending