The Student Room Group

Skirts and tights

So i want to start wearing more skirts in the summer cos all i ever wear are jeans and shorts.

Im fine wearing them on a night out but for some reason im not comfortable wearing the ones ive just bought for everyday wear (come to about an inch above the knee).

I feel like i cant relax cos im always worried about keeping myself covered up in case anyone can see up it, so i always have to think about how im sitting etc

Anyway i thought about buying some tights (cos all i have for going out are stockings) either plain ones or patterned to help me feel more covered with being so.

What do you guys think about patterned tights, so they look good or ridiculous? Also what about when it gets to summer and really really hot, and too hot for tights? Aaahh!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My boyfriend dislikes patterned/coloured tights because he says they make my legs look weird and diseased!?
I wear them anyway.

In summer, I don't bother wearing tights. Unless you sit like a man, you should be fine reagrding the modesty issue so either deal with it, or wear longer skirts in summer.
Reply 2
I guess the type of tights you wear depends on the skirt, for instance don't wear patterened tights with an overly patterned skirt?

Anyway I like some patterened tights, and for the summer :dontknow: wear longer skirts then? Althought there'll be plenty of girls wearing skirts without tights and you might just get used to the feeling.
Wear without tights?
Reply 4
No tights, become more clumsy, so you have to bend down lots.
Well I LOVE tights and skirts!

They do make me feel better about my legs as the cold make them look like corned beef (lol). I am a lil obsessed with tights that look like suspenders..like the Henry Holland ones you can get in River Island. These ARE pricey for tights but you can get cheaper imitations on ASOS and New Look.

In the summer I bare all...but make sure obviously that if I bend over my bum is not exposed to all and sundry.
Reply 6
Original post by I<3LAMP

They do make me feel better about my legs as the cold make them look like corned beef (lol). I am a lil obsessed with tights that look like suspenders..like the Henry Holland ones you can get in River Island. These ARE pricey for tights but you can get cheaper imitations on ASOS and New Look.

In the summer I bare all...but make sure obviously that if I bend over my bum is not exposed to all and sundry.

Yea I'll just have to do this. I got a skirt from New Look today and got one coming in the post from laredoute, both plain, one black, one red, im just worried they're too short thats all.
Original post by Lexi99
Yea I'll just have to do this. I got a skirt from New Look today and got one coming in the post from laredoute, both plain, one black, one red, im just worried they're too short thats all.

Well tights always make me feel less naked and exposed, but yknow just remember to not sit with your legs open and not bend down all the time. I bend with the knees just in case. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Lexi99
So i want to start wearing more skirts in the summer cos all i ever wear are jeans and shorts.

Im fine wearing them on a night out but for some reason im not comfortable wearing the ones ive just bought for everyday wear (come to about an inch above the knee).
I feel like i cant relax cos im always worried about keeping myself covered up in case anyone can see up it, so i always have to think about how im sitting etc

Anyway i thought about buying some tights (cos all i have for going out are stockings) either plain ones or patterned to help me feel more covered with being so.

What do you guys think about patterned tights, so they look good or ridiculous? Also what about when it gets to summer and really really hot, and too hot for tights? Aaahh!

If you've already got stockings, and your new everyday skirts are about an inch above the knee then why bother with buying tights - why not just keep wearing your stockings? They'd be fine with a skirt that length - and much cooler than tights in the summer!
Reply 9
Wear knee high socks, in fashion atm (I think).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by paula1287
If you've already got stockings, and your new everyday skirts are about an inch above the knee then why bother with buying tights - why not just keep wearing your stockings? They'd be fine with a skirt that length - and much cooler than tights in the summer!

Yea i might do, depending on how easy the skirt rides up!
Reply 11
Also stockings would be just as hot as tights anyway
Reply 12
I always wear tights even during the summer. I would never go out without tights!
Tights are a good option to wear with skirts particularly at this time of the year. You can't go wrong with black tights as they go with everything so I would advise you invest in some. Otherwise, patterned tights can be nice with a plain skirt but I wouldn't advise wearing patterned tights with a patterned skirt as it may be a bit much! In the summer it may get more difficult although knowing this country it's never that warm anyway! If you're not happy with going with just bare legs then opt for stockings or long socks :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Lexi99
Also stockings would be just as hot as tights anyway

On the legs maybe, but not further up :smile:
Reply 15
Skirts and tights :drool:
Reply 16
Original post by Lexi99

I'm not allowed to be bear legged at work and so wear stockings all year round, thicker deniers in the winter and thinner ones in the summer months (can't stand tights). My dresses are about knee length (or just above) and I've never had a problem with feeling exposed or thinking anyone can see up my dress even though I'm on my feet all day and running about like a blue arsed fly!

If you've already got stockings, I don't see the point of buying tights as they just do the same job anyway.
Reply 17
too hot for tights... maybe leggings? they look more summery to me + cooler, especially if they're 3/4/crop length and in white as well

your length is fine ! but I get the whole sitting thing, leggings help with that - loads of girl wear just leggings with short tops!!

I would always go for a plain colour of leggings/tights - probably not too bright either - black/white/grey
Patterned tight look better with certain skirts than other skirts, basically what Uzzy? said. The more you wear the skirts without the tights the more comfortable you will be wearing them. So what if people manage to see up your skirt as long as you wearing panties is better and as long as your not doing it on purpose then is ok it happens to mostly everyone and lots of other girls will be wearing shorter skirts without tights and probably not flashing.

If your not comfortable wearing the length of skirts that you have without tights buy some longer skirts which you don't need to wear tights with as will be really hot wearing tights in the summer
Original post by I<3LAMP

OMG Yes someone after my own heart!!!!! Cant beat skirts and tights I hate trousers and havent worn them for literally two years or so. An yes, those suspender-tights are awesome, actually started wearing a pair to school. Still think that real suspenders are better tho :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest