The Student Room Group

pleaseeee help me... difference in foundation degrees and honour degrees

whats exactly is a foundation degree?!?! Ive read online that "Foundation degrees are a new type of qualification that have been developed by the higher education sector in partnership with employers to ensure the skills they need are met" which is what employers want isn't it???

so what wrong with this??? Ive found one thats 2years in graphic design and advertising...with the opportunity to top up to a 3rd year for an honours degree with the awarding body Manchester Metropolitan University..... i don't fecking get it? if thats the case...why doesn't every1 do this??? :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

some one please enlighten me!!!:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Scroll to see replies

Foundation Degrees are basically the same as A Levels. They're just a course that lets you get into uni if you don't have A Levels.
Reply 2
I thought a foundation degree was basically the first 2 years of a normal degree.
Reply 3
i do have a levels tho?? its says..."Applicants should possess an A Level, a BTEC Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma or an equivalent level 3 qualification with art/design content. Qualifications should be accompanied by a portfolio of creative work. Minimum UCAS tariff points required: 160. and if you go onto a third year...you have a honours degree????
Reply 4
Original post by misscharli
I thought a foundation degree was basically the first 2 years of a normal degree.

What screenager said is correct. what you're thinking of is an ordinary degree.

No. Only in very specific circumstances, specific courses and uni's will let you finish the last year of a degree in the same subject at their uni once you've done their foundation degree.

For example: Manchester met does a foundation degree in Graphic Design. If you finish it with good marks they let you 'top up' into their Graphic Design degree. However, you won't be able to take that foundation degree and 'top up' at any other uni or on any other course unless it's exceptional circumstances.
Reply 6

this is what i thought?? soo would people recommend this? :confused:
Original post by cassidy1932
i do have a levels tho?? its says..."Applicants should possess an A Level, a BTEC Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma or an equivalent level 3 qualification with art/design content. Qualifications should be accompanied by a portfolio of creative work. Minimum UCAS tariff points required: 160. and if you go onto a third year...you have a honours degree????

Yeah, to get onto a foundation degree you need One A level.
You can't get onto a degree with one A level, you need Three.

Original post by py0alb
What screenager said is correct. what you're thinking of is an ordinary degree.

Ordinary degrees are the same as 3 year normal degrees except you've got a ridiculously bad score in it.
Reply 8
Original post by screenager2004

Ordinary degrees are the same as 3 year normal degrees except you've got a ridiculously bad score in it.

i got into salford unis advertising design course three year ago with a btek in art and design(M:M) i have about 180-200 ucas points i think!? been i while since i did all this! advice any1? :smile:
Reply 9

Well funny you should say that, what actually happens is that if the director of studies is worried that you're not even going to manage to get a 3rd class honours, rather than simply allow to to fail altogether, they intervene and switch you to an ordinary degree. This normally means that you abandon your 3rd year work and instead resit a couple of 2nd year modules and try to get your average grade up to something respectable. So in effect its a case of spending 3 years doing 2 years work, but at least you don't leave with nothing at all.
No. Only in very specific circumstances, specific courses and uni's will let you finish the last year of a degree in the same subject at their uni once you've done their foundation degree.

Depends on area and university actually. Quite a lot of foundation degrees are run through colleges and approved by universities. I did a two year foundation degree through a college with one university, but their ability to process ANYTHING paperwork wise sucked so badly I was desperate to go anywhere else. So, for my last year I transferred to Northumbria, no problem at all. They offer a lot of one year top up courses and the people taking mine vary from folks who did Foundation Degree to those who did a HND and come from as far afield as Leeds.
Reply 11
i appreciate every1s help! i want to do graphic design locally as im living at home...salford uni graphic design course is full! so i am looking else where! what would people do if they were me? go into the foundation n top up 3rd year? or try n find a normal degree locally that will let me in this September??x
A foundation degree is usually lower than an honours degree. Most of the time degrees might come with a foundation year - after that first year you would then go on into the first year of he honours degree and graduate with the same as someone who went straight into the 3 year course. Not sure about degrees which are purely foundation, seems pretty pointless to me unless they're vocational.
Reply 13
Original post by foreveranon
Depends on area and university actually. Quite a lot of foundation degrees are run through colleges and approved by universities. I did a two year foundation degree through a college with one university, but their ability to process ANYTHING paperwork wise sucked so badly I was desperate to go anywhere else. So, for my last year I transferred to Northumbria, no problem at all. They offer a lot of one year top up courses and the people taking mine vary from folks who did Foundation Degree to those who did a HND and come from as far afield as Leeds.

yeah this is what ive found...its the Manchester college and awarding body Manchester met uni.... wouldn't u recommend this?:confused:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
A foundation degree is usually lower than an honours degree. Most of the time degrees might come with a foundation year - after that first year you would then go on into the first year of he honours degree and graduate with the same as someone who went straight into the 3 year course. Not sure about degrees which are purely foundation, seems pretty pointless to me unless they're vocational.

Foundation degree is not the same as foundation year! They're named similarly because the government likes to confuse people ;-)
Reply 15
Original post by py0alb
Well funny you should say that, what actually happens is that if the director of studies is worried that you're not even going to manage to get a 3rd class honours, rather than simply allow to to fail altogether, they intervene and switch you to an ordinary degree. This normally means that you abandon your 3rd year work and instead resit a couple of 2nd year modules and try to get your average grade up to something respectable. So in effect its a case of spending 3 years doing 2 years work, but at least you don't leave with nothing at all.

ahh thats interesting...so if i completed to two years of a foundation....and did a top up 3rd year....would this equal a honours degree? how would employers see this?
yeah this is what ive found...its the Manchester college and awarding body Manchester met uni.... wouldn't u recommend this?:confused:

Very much depends on you, your lifestyle and what you're intending to do! In my case I worked fulltime while studying fulltime because my classes were evening ones so I COULD (Okay, so I didn't sleep for those two years but I still averaged over 60% \o/) Now I'm on my top-up, I'm doing my final year while not working and thanks to crazy time management skills picked up from doing that I'm a) heading for a good first, b) getting considered for some decent jobs. VERY worth it for me.. but that's me.

Have a search at the universities you might be looking at for your top-up year. See if they offer top-up courses first off, and see what their requirements are. If needs be, call the admissions guys, they are usually very helpful.
Reply 17
ahh thats interesting...so if i completed to two years of a foundation....and did a top up 3rd year....would this equal a honours degree? how would employers see this?

I'm not really sure what a "foundation degree" even is.

Edit: Apparently the answer to your question is "yes".
(edited 13 years ago)

Yes, it equals honours degree :-) How employers see it is dependent on employer --I got turned away by Accenture for example, but the Civil Service Fast Stream and a lot of smaller employers are fine with it.
Original post by py0alb
I don't think so, no. (I was talking about something else entirely) I'm pretty sure you still have to do a full honours degree after a foundation course if that is what you think you will require to get the job you're looking for. I'm not really sure what a "foundation degree" even is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_degree

That might help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending