The Student Room Group

Do you use your right or left brain? Take this test to find out

If you use your left you are: logical, look at the details, linear, analytical. If you are right brained, you work best with images, creative, intuitive and abstract.

We have our dominate hemisphere, either right or left. I was initially right but I can eventually get it to spin both ways. I was ashamed to be right brained because left brained people are cleverer but than I found out that Einstein was a right brain thinker so then I felt happy again.

What side are you and do you agree with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFV6h6MXQkI
Uh, actually that illusion is due to it being a completely ambiguous visual image. The information that you use to perceive depth has been removed and subsequently you are unable to decide which direction the image turns based on the relationship between her extended foot and her stable leg.

How you do see it says nothing about your personality. Papers that have used this image state that the direction initially observed is 50:50 with it being highly variable in the same individuals and most report being able to 'alter' the perceived direction.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Animae
If you use your left you are: logical, look at the details, linear, analytical. If you are right brained, you work best with images, creative, intuitive and abstract.

We have our dominate hemisphere, either right or left. I was initially right but I can eventually get it to spin both ways. I was ashamed to be right brained because left brained people are cleverer but than I found out that Einstein was a right brain thinker so then I felt happy again.

What side are you and do you agree with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFV6h6MXQkI

Left brain and I can't make her go right. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Uh, actually that illusion is due to it being a completely ambiguous visual image. The information that you use to perceive depth has been removed and subsequently you are unable to decide which direction the image turns based on the relationship between her extended foot and her stable leg.

How you do see it says nothing about your personality. Papers that have used this image state that the direction initially observed is 50:50 with it being highly variable in the same individuals and most report being able to 'alter' the perceived direction.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Why does it spin aniticloackwise when I think about maths and physics and clockwise when I think about pieces of music I play on the piano.

It must have some element of truth surely?
Isn't use of a certain part linked to gender anyway.... but yeah I'm not interested enough to enquire rite nw
Original post by Animae
Why does it spin aniticloackwise when I think about maths and physics and clockwise when I think about pieces of music I play on the piano.

It must have some element of truth surely?

Because you're making it do that.

Left brain right brain personality theories are just complete nonsense.
I can choose which way to see it turning :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Because you're making it do that.

Or my right brain is making it spin clockwise and my left brain anticlockwise?
Reply 8
"The Spinning dancer" is an optical illusion, not a brain test. It has nothing to do with "left or right" side of the brain.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/the-truth-about-the-spinning-dancer/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Magical Moogles
I can't make seem to make it go anti-clockwise, not without really trying. :s-smilie:

Because when you attend to a perceptual feature you have a cortical top-down enhancing of the baseline neural activity associated with perceiving that visual feature. When that feature is essentially ambiguous, as in this case, the increasing of the baseline activity makes it an up-hill struggle to change the percept. You essentially have to overcome the bias by breaking attention to stop top-down modulation and 're-perceive' the image to get back to the 50:50 stage of left vs right movement perception.

That's why looking away for a period or attending to another aspect of the scene helps you to change the perceived direction.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't understand that - I can't change it at all but every so often the image stops, and she changes direction - and its definitely not me doing that?
I'm a right sider.
Reply 12
Lol this is soo stupid, anyone who knows about the brain or does psychology know that the brain has different functions. Therefore you use your entire brain, you need it. :biggrin:
I made her breakdance! I'm super the besterest!!11!!
Reply 14
I see the bitch going clockwise - which means i use the left side of my brain, yet my favourite subject is maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
A more interesting question is: Are zombies more partial to eating the left side of the brain or the right side? :eyebrow:
Reply 16
She was going left for me, I looked away, and started doing maths (doubling numbers from 2 :P) Looked back and she was going right! After that I could kinda make her switch, but she kept going left again
Reply 17
Original post by daisydaffodil
I don't understand that - I can't change it at all but every so often the image stops, and she changes direction - and its definitely not me doing that?

That happened to me, then she started rotating the oposite way to before :]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending