The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial ISE VS Warwick MORSE

I have posted in another place but no one reply me. Please help me:frown:
My firm choice is JMC at Imperial.
However, I don't know which should be my insurance choice.
I love Maths and AI.
Warwick MORSE has the diversity and the exemption for the actuary exams.
Imperial ISE give me a chance to study AI, machine learning, robotics and computational finance which are all fantastic.
If I choose MORSE, I can study econometrics and operational researches too which may be useful for my future career.
If I choose ISE, it is a nice course but I have heard it is an unpopular course in Imperial while MORSE is the flagship course at Warwick.
I don't know how to choose. Please help me:s-smilie:
Quite a nice range of courses. Did you write a Maths PS then or a mix?

You don't appear to have any personal interest in MORSE. I wouldn't worry about ISE being "unpopular".
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by innerhollow
Quite a nice range of courses. Did you write a Maths PS then or a mix?

You don't appear to have any personal interest in MORSE. I wouldn't worry about ISE being "unpopular".

a MIX PS:smile: But tend to write a lot of engineering:s-smilie: and only a few maths@@
I like the contents of ISE, but I heard that they have only 35 places for a reason.
The course is so unpopular.:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lawwainam
a MIX PS:smile: But tend to write a lot of engineering:s-smilie: and only a few maths@@

Do you mean that as in Computer Science Engineering? What were the other two courses you applied for?

I like the contents of ISE, but I heard that they have only 35 places for a reason.
The course is so unpopular.:frown:

Seriously, who the hell cares that it's unpopular?! :lolwut: Just because other students don't want to study ISE doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy and benefit from doing so. You have an offer for a course that you really seem interested by. Why would you turn that down to go study a course which might help you with your future career as an actuary (assuming you don't change your mind). Would you really want to spend 3 years studying Econometrics and Statistical Theory, when you could be studying Robotics and AI and all these topics that clearly catch your interest? Education is such a privilege, and if you don't use this opportunity to study something you love, you may never be able to.

Still, I would focus on meeting your conditions for JMC. I assume you got the standard A*A*A offer? Sounds pretty manageable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Just so you know, it's the 4 year MMORSE at Warwick that can give you lots of actuarial exemptions (up to 7 of the CT subjects). I'm not sure how many you would get with just the 3yr MORSE degree. If it's just a couple, then that's not a massive advantage and can be made up in 1 exam sitting. I got into an actuarial career without any exemptions so I agree with the poster above, you should study what you have a passion for.
Reply 5
Do you mean that as in Computer Science Engineering? What were the other two courses you applied for?

Seriously, who the hell cares that it's unpopular?! :lolwut: Just because other students don't want to study ISE doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy and benefit from doing so. You have an offer for a course that you really seem interested by. Why would you turn that down to go study a course which might help you with your future career as an actuary (assuming you don't change your mind). Would you really want to spend 3 years studying Econometrics and Statistical Theory, when you could be studying Robotics and AI and all these topics that clearly catch your interest? Education is such a privilege, and if you don't use this opportunity to study something you love, you may never be able to.

Still, I would focus on meeting your conditions for JMC. I assume you got the standard A*A*A offer? Sounds pretty manageable.

You are right. I don't even know what the hell Econometrics is.
I have already finished all my A level exam in January.
To me, the JMC offer is just a Merit in AEA.:biggrin:
The other two courses is engineering in Oxford:mad: and SEF in UCL:colondollar:
Edit: My PS is about general engineering:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by m:)ckel
Just so you know, it's the 4 year MMORSE at Warwick that can give you lots of actuarial exemptions (up to 7 of the CT subjects). I'm not sure how many you would get with just the 3yr MORSE degree. If it's just a couple, then that's not a massive advantage and can be made up in 1 exam sitting. I got into an actuarial career without any exemptions so I agree with the poster above, you should study what you have a passion for.

Case 1. Study MEng ISE
1. I can still get into a finance career if I change my mind. ( Correct me if I am wrong)
2. I can have a engineer career too.
3. I can get into an actuarial career without any exemptions like you.:biggrin:
Case 2.Study MMORSE
1. I can get into a finance career or an actuarial career with lots of exemptions.
2. I can't have a engineer career.
3. I can't go to Imperial:mad:
Case 3. Study BEng ISE + Msc Actuarial Science if I want
Can I do that?:s-smilie:
1.I can still get into a finance career or an actuarial career with lots of exemptions if I change my mind.
2.I can have a engineer career too.
3.I can go to Imperial:headbang:
Case 4. Study MORSE + MEng ISE
Definitely impossible.
Combining all the cases, Case 3 should be the best choice.
Can I do that?:rolleyes: I mean can I study Msc Actuarial Science after BEng ISE if I change my mind? Thanks
You are right. I don't even know what the hell Econometrics is.
I have already finished all my A level exam in January.
To me, the JMC offer is just a Merit in AEA.:biggrin:
The other two courses is engineering in Oxford:mad: and SEF in UCL:colondollar:
Edit: My PS is about general engineering:biggrin:

Congratulations on your offers, but that was just stupid applying to various courses like that :s-smilie: AEA is a tough exam, best of luck.

Case 1. Study MEng ISE
1. I can still get into a finance career if I change my mind. ( Correct me if I am wrong)
2. I can have a engineer career too.
3. I can get into an actuarial career without any exemptions like you.:biggrin:
Case 2.Study MMORSE
1. I can get into a finance career or an actuarial career with lots of exemptions.
2. I can't have a engineer career.
3. I can't go to Imperial:mad:
Case 3. Study BEng ISE + Msc Actuarial Science if I want
Can I do that?:s-smilie:
1.I can still get into a finance career or an actuarial career with lots of exemptions if I change my mind.
2.I can have a engineer career too.
3.I can go to Imperial:headbang:
Case 4. Study MORSE + MEng ISE
Definitely impossible.
Combining all the cases, Case 3 should be the best choice.
Can I do that?:rolleyes: I mean can I study Msc Actuarial Science after BEng ISE if I change my mind? Thanks

Remember that it's generally quite easy to transfer between the BEng and MEng. If I remember correctly, if you don't maintain at least a 2:1 grade during your first two years they don't let you continue with the MEng and you are placed on the BEng. If you do maintain a 2:1 grade you have the choice.

(By the way, an MEng is an undergraduate degree. The post-graduate form of ISE is the MSc Information SYstem Engineering. And you're right that it would be impossible to do that with a bachelors in MORSE).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Congratulations on your offers, but that was just stupid applying to various courses like that :s-smilie: AEA is a tough exam, best of luck.

Thank you.
I am going to prepare my AEA exam in a few days.

Remember that it's generally quite easy to transfer between the BEng and MEng. If I remember correctly, if you don't maintain at least a 2:1 grade during your first two years they don't let you continue with the MEng and you are placed on the BEng. If you do maintain a 2:1 grade you have the choice.

(By the way, an MEng is an undergraduate degree. The post-graduate form of ISE is the MSc Information SYstem Engineering. And you're right that it would be impossible to do that with a bachelors in MORSE).

I am googleing to find out if it is possible to study Msc Actuarial Science afterward just in case I change my mind. I am thinking to self-teach the actuary exams too if I really want to do so.:colondollar:
Hi there!
I was once in your position (choosing between ISE and MMORSE) and this makes me really want to help! At the end I chose ISE as my firm, and MMORSE as my insurance. Of course I got into ISE, and I am very glad that I did.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my course so far. It might not be the best course you could find in Imperial, but I like its approach to both electronics and computing.
Regarding which course to choose - bear in mind that the nature of ISE and MMORSE are totally different! MMORSE is the study of applied mathematics in (mainly) economics, while ISE brings you the knowledge of computing systems in both hardware and software. It is only in your 3rd/ 4th year that you can choose to your option modules (which some are OR or computational finance).
Yes - ISE might not be the most popular course in Imperial, but because it is a small group, coursemates are very strongly bonded (okay that just gives more info about myself). And do not worry about the reputation of the course itself - the name of Imperial would impress a lot of employers.
Another point - in your 3rd/4th year in ISE, you can choose almost all your modules which are from Dept. of Computing.
I hope this helps, and PM me if you need any more info.
Reply 10
I think the "unpopularity" may have something to do with people not KNOWING that the course exists! lol. I'm in ISE, and I switched from EEE.

ISE is good, but I think the bond between years varies! I hear the current second years are pretty sick though :wink:.

FYI, loads of people from ISE / EEE in imperial go into financial careers, but neither those courses are easy routes to take (unless you're a prodigy). Considering you have offers everywhere, it sounds like you shouldn't have a problem in either case though.

What I would urge you to consider though, is the environment you want to be in. If you're in the UK (or plan a visit) why not tour both the unis see which fits you better? Its not a question of which /is/ better but which fits /you/ better. That's with reference to people in the uni as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
People don't know about ISE, but that doesn't make it a bad course.
On the contrary, we are a small community within the Imperial community. The 4 years of ISE (4*30 = 120 people), and some lecturers who specifically take care of us haha.

On a more serious note, ISE is an awesome course, especially if you get in now, they've just gone through re-arranging courses in different years so you get the very best from the beginning (unlike us who had to do Analogue in first year ugh).

If you tell most people at Imperial, "I'm doing ISE", people will first go "what is it", and once you explain they'll go "oh yeah, I know someone who does that". Seems annoying at first, but you realise that in fact, in spite of the small intake, ISE students are EVERYWHERE! We RULE Imperial :P

Jokes aside, we have a great course, broader than both EEE and Computing while still enabling you to go into more detail in either subject in the future. Turns out many ISE people also have "social" positions at Imperial. Quite a few of us work at the Union, are Hall Seniors, Presidents of Societies, are involved in humanitarian projects.

I'm not saying it's not the case of other students, but there is (at least in my year), this sort of spirit between us, that pushes us to take initiatives, in a way, to "do stuff", and I think it's very important.

Conclusion: great course, great opportunities to take initiatives, do extra-curricular stuff and amazing coursemates (I have to say, as much as I bitch about them most of the time, I never have more fun than when I'm with my course mates). Go for it.

Oh, and for finance, don't worry, ISE is all about computing and engineering, so banks will be chasing after you. And you can even do a 3-year BEng and do MSc Finance anywhere you want afterwards! (it doesn't matter if you apply for BEng or MEng, you get to choose at the beginning of your 3rd year).
Reply 12
Do ISE, I hear its pretty awesome.
Reply 13
That's what she said.
Reply 14
Warwick is grim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending