The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spidergareth
4 x 3,500 if it is an integrated masters. If its a seperate postgrad thing it will be 9 grand.

Ohhh ok thanks!
Original post by River85
Postgrad fees are independent of undergrad fees and will vary according to university and programme. So, if by separate you mean master's on its own, then it won't necessarily be 9k.

But it this case it's an integrated masters, classed as an undergraduate for all four years, so yes, it will be 3.5k (or so) for all four years.

Yeah, that's what i meant to say. Although it should be in the region of 9k depending on the course.
Original post by woods.vanessa
I don't think the students were misinformed; just because it doesn't affect our year directly, it will still effect years to come.
So much for the gvt saying that most universities won't charge £9,000 when clearly most of them will (or at least the 'top' unis that alot of students aspire to go to).

In addition, a lot of students thought that the student loans would not cover the increase. The Oxford University Student Union president was extremely misleading over the proposals, especially in the early stages up to those student protests I don't know if he misunderstood it himself or whether he was deliberately trying to trick people, but the messages coming from them and NUS were full of misinformation - if that had been my only source i probably would have felt justified in smashing up London too!
Original post by nexttime
In addition, a lot of students thought that the student loans would not cover the increase. The Oxford University Student Union president was extremely misleading over the proposals, especially in the early stages up to those student protests I don't know if he misunderstood it himself or whether he was deliberately trying to trick people, but the messages coming from them and NUS were full of misinformation - if that had been my only source i probably would have felt justified in smashing up London too!

Yeah I guess the whole thing was confusing :s-smilie: Im just considering myself lucky that the fee increase doesn't affect me but my siblings aren't that fortunate!
Reply 164

Lets not forget the idiotic idea that seems to have gained some traction that you have to pay upfront and that poor students won't be able to go because of that. I've got no idea where that idea came from, especially since students don't even pay upfront now but for some reason it's gained some real traction amongst some. I've lost count of the amount of people I've seen on TSR believing this, when they of all people should know it's a bunch of rubbish.
Loughborough is going to charge £9,000 from 2012.
Original post by chrislpp
QUB is not worth £9000.

Dear god I absolutely loathe the place, the students around it and the businesses that treat you like **** even though the students bring them the majority of their income. There's like 3 decent clubs and bouncers can be hit and miss......

Hey thanks there, I go to QUB and I am pretty sure that this won't prove true given that I study biochemistry and the amount of Pharmacetical companies around. But yea it may prove true for many Arts students. However Im sure this is true for most universities. If you think it was crap why didn't you try and make it better. If you actually got involved in university life you would see that many people are doing just that.
How much of an idiot do you have to be to believe the fees were going up this year? It was clearly stated in all the articles and news programs I watched.

When you looked at the websites of the universities you were applying to , what numbers did you see in the fee section?

Common sense would tell you that they can't do that. It's a bit like applying to a uni that asked for AAB and then by January they change the requirement to AAA. Do you think that's possible? Of course not. If the unis want to change the entry requirements, they would have to wait until September, when the next lot apply. Same principle applies with fees.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cesar Lecat
How much of an idiot do you have to be to believe the fees were going up this year? It was clearly stated in all the articles and news programs I watched.

When you looked at the websites of the universities you were applying to , what numbers did you see in the fee section?

Common sense would tell you that they can't do that. It's a bit like applying to a uni that asked for AAB and then by January they change the requirement to AAA. Do you think that's possible? Of course not. If the unis want to change the entry requirements, they would have to wait until September, when the next lot apply. Same principle applies with fees.

Well it is possible because one of my universities did.
Original post by CharleyChester

Which uni is that? How is that even possible? It's clearly unfair.

You apply with the grades it asks you and then they suddenly change it January? That means they fooled you wasted a valuable choice. You could have picked another uni :s-smilie:

Yes please explain :smile: I thought one of the key things about UCAS is that once an offer is made it cannot be changed unless it is to lower grades. Or do you mean it changed compared to the prospectus?
Which uni is that? How is that even possible? It's clearly unfair.

You apply with the grades it asks you and then they suddenly change it January? That means they fooled you wasted a valuable choice. You could have picked another uni :s-smilie:

Yes please explain :smile: I thought one of the key things about UCAS is that once an offer is made it cannot be changed unless it is to lower grades. Or do you mean it changed compared to the prospectus?

Lancaster. They wrote a letter to everyone saying that due to a massive influx of applications they had to up the grade requirements from ABB to AAB. I didn't get my offer until after this point anyway. I didn't think it was unfair, as they told everyone the same thing anyway, i'd have been very angry if i'd got my offer and THEN had the grades go up. I didn't firm them in the end either, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me now xD
Lancaster. They wrote a letter to everyone saying that due to a massive influx of applications they had to up the grade requirements from ABB to AAB. I didn't get my offer until after this point anyway. I didn't think it was unfair, as they told everyone the same thing anyway, i'd have been very angry if i'd got my offer and THEN had the grades go up. I didn't firm them in the end either, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me now xD

It is, because if you know you can only get ABB, then it means you can't get into lancaster and it also means you can't replace lancaster as one of your choices on ucas and apply to another uni. Hence why I said it would mean a valuable place wasted.

Completely unfair. A massive influx doesn't justify it. If I was in that situation, I'd call ucas and complain.

ah ok - whilst pretty annoying, i thought you meant they changed it after the offer was made which would be a breach of a legal agreement between you and them. Beforehand... they can technically do what they want!
It is, because if you know you can only get ABB, then it means you can't get into lancaster and it also means you can't replace lancaster as one of your choices on ucas and apply to another uni. Hence why I said it would mean a valuable place wasted.

Completely unfair. A massive influx doesn't justify it. If I was in that situation, I'd call ucas and complain.

Nah lowe it. If you only know you can get ABB, you don't firm it if it goes up, it's quite a simple concept. Surely you'd apply to more ABB/lower universities you like the look of? UCAS wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway, you'd have to contact the institution in question.

Beforehand... they can technically do what they want!

Basically this. You don't enter into a contract with the University until they give you an offer. Before they can pretty much do what they want regarding their requirements.

However, i'm not getting into an argument about it, due to our differences in opinion. It would be a waste of both of our time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Nah lowe it. If you only know you can get ABB, you don't firm it if it goes up, it's quite a simple concept. Surely you'd apply to more ABB/lower universities you like the look of? UCAS wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway, you'd have to contact the institution in question.

Basically this. You don't enter into a contract with the University until they give you an offer. Before they can pretty much do what they want regarding their requirements.

However, i'm not getting into an argument about it, due to our differences in opinion. It would be a waste of both of our time.

That's beside the point. I applied to that place thinking it was asking for ABB. Had I known it was going to change, then I would have applied to another uni which was asking for ABB.

Can you see where I'm coming from? By changing the requirement so late on, they leave me stuck. Unable to cancel them as my choice on Ucas and replace them with another uni.
That's beside the point. I applied to that place thinking it was asking for ABB. Had I known it was going to change, then I would have applied to another uni which was asking for ABB.

Can you see where I'm coming from? By changing the requirement so late on, they leave me stuck. Unable to cancel them as my choice on Ucas and replace them with another uni.

Yes i do, but surely you'd apply to more than one ABB university in the first place?

Also by the same logic you could have said: If i applied to that place asking for ABB. Had i know It was going to reject me, then i would have applied to another University instead.

It's really not the end of the world! You'd get by and you'd work around it and pick somewhere else as your firm/insurance instead.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes i do, but surely you'd apply to more than one ABB university in the first place?

Okay, here's an illustration

This is how I would apply to uni places if the highest I could get was AAB

AAB
AAB

ABB
ABB

BBB

That is how I would fill my choices. Two high risk, two medium risk and one low risk. Now if Lancaster increased the requirement to AAB, then it means I have 3 high risks and only 1 medium risk and 1 low risk. Is that fair? Can I remove lancester from the UCAS choices I made? Of course not. Hence why I would be pissed off and compain to ucas.
Had I known it was going to change,

But you ought to have known that it might change. This is one of the inherent risks of the system and you should have acted knowing this risk existed.
Okay, here's an illustration

This is how I would apply to uni places if the highest I could get was AAB

AAB
AAB

ABB
ABB

BBB

That is how I would fill my choices. Two high risk, two medium risk and one low risk. Now if Lancaster increased the requirement to AAB, then it means I have 3 high risks and only 1 medium risk and 1 low risk. Is that fair? Can I remove lancester from the UCAS choices I made? Of course not. Hence why I would be pissed off and compain to ucas.

It's life.

Edit: Also if you'd know you'd only get ABB (as you keep saying) why would you apply to two universities who want AAB? Surely thats wasting two choices straight away.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending