The Student Room Group

Returning back to uni after dropping out

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what my financial position would be if I were to go back to university as a mature student,

I studied computer science from 2009-2012, and had tuition and maintance loans for those 3 years, but unfortunately due to a mixture of personal circumstances, mental health and learning difficulties, I never actually graduated, instead I failed my 2nd year twice and left with a "certificate of higher education".

These days I'm older and a bit wiser, and would love the opportunity to return to university and graduate this time, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to figure out what I may be eligible for in terms of student finance, if anything.

Would I be correct in thinking that I would have to self fund the first 2 years of any degree out of my own pocket?

Would it make a difference if I went back to the same course, or did something unrelated, and would my current personal income be used to calculate how much I get (I would have to more or less stop working to go back!)

Hope someone can help!
Original post by Azlan121
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what my financial position would be if I were to go back to university as a mature student,

I studied computer science from 2009-2012, and had tuition and maintance loans for those 3 years, but unfortunately due to a mixture of personal circumstances, mental health and learning difficulties, I never actually graduated, instead I failed my 2nd year twice and left with a "certificate of higher education".

These days I'm older and a bit wiser, and would love the opportunity to return to university and graduate this time, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to figure out what I may be eligible for in terms of student finance, if anything.

Would I be correct in thinking that I would have to self fund the first 2 years of any degree out of my own pocket?

Would it make a difference if I went back to the same course, or did something unrelated, and would my current personal income be used to calculate how much I get (I would have to more or less stop working to go back!)

Hope someone can help!

Hi there,

Is this for a full time course and what is the name of the university and course you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Is this for a full time course and what is the name of the university and course you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason

Yes, it would be full time, not 100% sure on the course yet, but possibly audiology at UCL
Yes, it would be full time, not 100% sure on the course yet, but possibly audiology at UCL

Thanks.

How many years will the course be or are you not sure yet and was it 3 years you previously studied? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Yes I studied for 3 years previously, new course would be 3 or 4 years depending on exactly which one I go for
Yes I studied for 3 years previously, new course would be 3 or 4 years depending on exactly which one I go for

Thank you and would this be full or part time? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Full time
Full time

Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if your new course is 3 years and you have done 3 year previous study the calculation would be 3+1=4-3=1 year of finance left given in the final year of your new course. This means in year 1 and 2 you wouldn't get Tuition Fees only Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable.

Do you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous course? If you do, can provide evidence of this, you may be eligible to get another year of finance. The evidence would be a letter on headed paper signed/stamped and dated from someone in profession i.e. Doctor/lecturer who knows the CPR. They must know how it affected your studies and the dates it affected you. Once received it will be up to the assessor if this will be accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending