The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Being a student at the University of Exeter?

Hey all. I've firmed Exeter for law, and just want to know what is it like to be a student there?
I loved the campus and the feel of it, type of people etc..
What are the socials like and how lively is Exeter itself?

This is s thread for current and prospective students for 2011, what does everyone think? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I've firmed PPE there so I'd like to know all this too :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by chasing_dreams
I've firmed PPE there so I'd like to know all this too :smile:

What accommodation are you looking at? Seeing as not many others are posting ha.
Original post by Thomas...
What accommodation are you looking at? Seeing as not many others are posting ha.

Probably lafrowda. I want self catered and on campus and although Rowe/St Germans/BGV etc. look lovely I think I'd rather spend the extra £30 a week on going out/food/clothes! What about you? And what's your insurance?
Reply 4
Original post by chasing_dreams
Probably lafrowda. I want self catered and on campus and although Rowe/St Germans/BGV etc. look lovely I think I'd rather spend the extra £30 a week on going out/food/clothes! What about you? And what's your insurance?

Ha yeah, not a bad idea. I definitely want self catered, catered seems too strict and I don't much like mardon or holland anyway. I was looking at Nash grove and birks but not decided yet.
My insurance is Sheffield, although it has the same offer :s-smilie:
What about you?
Isn't Nash Grove just postgrads? I don't know I just never knew that was an option for undergrads. Mine's UEA which is ABB (Exeter's AAA) but I would much prefer Exeter!
Reply 6
Oh is it? Oops ha.
I so hope o get 3 As, Sheffield has NOTHING on Exeter!
Reply 7

Oh is it? Oops ha.
I so hope o get 3 As, Sheffield has NOTHING on Exeter!

I do live in Exeter, and i can tell you the night life is pretty good and its a good city, not as good imo as London but there you go. :biggrin:

EDIT : Cheaper though, not as racially diverse either, we are quite monolithically white down in the 'shire. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Ocassus
I do live in Exeter, and i can tell you the night life is pretty good and its a good city, not as good imo as London but there you go. :biggrin:

EDIT : Cheaper though, not as racially diverse either, we are quite monolithically white down in the 'shire. :biggrin:

Ok thanks for the reply :smile: yeah I don't think I saw any non white people there on the open day. Glad to know the night life is good I've heard from a few that it is pretty dead sometimes.
I'm at Exeter. The nightlife isn't ahmazing, but you can have a fun night. Don't go to the lemmy. ever. Just. don't do it to yourself.

Really sweet little city i really enjoy being there. erm... is there anything in particular you want to know?
Reply 10
Original post by Paper_planes
I'm at Exeter. The nightlife isn't ahmazing, but you can have a fun night. Don't go to the lemmy. ever. Just. don't do it to yourself.

Really sweet little city i really enjoy being there. erm... is there anything in particular you want to know?

Ok thanks. What are the people like there in general? I've been once and really liked the people but when I got back people were telling me how snobby a lot of people are. When I was there I felt i fitted in, I mean I'm White, middle class, go to a private school etc (not that state schooled people are at any disadvantage, it's just what Ive heard the stereotype is) but from what people are saying it sounds like half the students are landed and titled! How do you feel about it?
Thanks.
Ok thanks. What are the people like there in general? I've been once and really liked the people but when I got back people were telling me how snobby a lot of people are. When I was there I felt i fitted in, I mean I'm White, middle class, go to a private school etc (not that state schooled people are at any disadvantage, it's just what Ive heard the stereotype is) but from what people are saying it sounds like half the students are landed and titled! How do you feel about it?
Thanks.

nah nothing like that at all where i am. in a flat of 8 there are 3 of us who are privately educated, but noone cares where you went to school, i've not been asked except for icebreaking/finding out you live in the same area as someone. Not met anyone outlandishly rich at all! Where it is in the world means it's going to be mostly white, but the large amount of internationals esp. in the business school means it's pretty ethinically diverse.

Also, where it is means it's not cheap, so there is that, but really, i don't think anyone really cares. Not heard anyone bragging about school/titles etc. Most people there just seem to want to have a good time, get a degree and meet new people. I've heard horror stories about Holland Hall and Birks being like that, but then all the halls have horror stories about other places being horrible for xyz reasons.

I think you'd really struggle to go there from any background and not make friends! It's really friendly. love it :smile:
Reply 12
i'm an international student and i'm not struggling to make friends with white people, but there is a point in saying Exeter is not as racially diverse as it could be
Reply 13
I hate to say it if you've lived anywhere with things to do Bristol, Nottingham, London etc... your going to be seriously let down Exeter’s night life that being said its peaceful pretty and a nice place to live the people are okish although if you live in Lafrowda your going to be seriously handicapped in social circles. Some people say that there is no elitism or snobbery at Exeter but these tend to be the people that are the worse offenders.

*edit*

wow I like that I get negged for pointing out that Exeter lives up entirely to its reputation, well you'll discover that when you get there.
(edited 13 years ago)
i firmed exeter last week, i'll be applying for halls within the next 2 weeks or so. :smile: aaaaaah, i just hope i get the grades needed, i loved exeter when i went for my interview!
and as for this apparent lack of ethnicty, i will be adding to the diversity seeing how i'm half indian and half pakistani :P

xoxoxoxo
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by sam8472
I hate to say it if you've lived anywhere with things to do Bristol, Nottingham, London etc... your going to be seriously let down Exeter’s night life that being said its peaceful pretty and a nice place to live the people are okish although if you live in Lafrowda your going to be seriously handicapped in social circles. Some people say that there is no elitism or snobbery at Exeter but these tend to be the people that are the worse offenders.

Yeah, I've heard this about Lafrowda too, I don't think I'll be applying there anyway, I don't much like the look of it. But everyone's view is different.
Reply 16
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
i firmed exeter last week, i'll be applying for halls within the next 2 weeks or so. :smile: aaaaaah, i just hope i get the grades needed, i loved exeter when i went for my interview!
and as for this apparent lack of ethnicty, i will be adding to the diversity seeing how i'm half indian and half pakistani :P

xoxoxoxo

Glad that you weren't put off by the lack of diversity. One of my Asian friends has been completely put off by that after going to a post offer open day. What course are you doing?

Glad that you weren't put off by the lack of diversity. One of my Asian friends has been completely put off by that after going to a post offer open day. What course are you doing?

i did see a few brown faces haha, but as long i make some good friends i'm not fussed how ethnic or unethic the place is :smile:. oh dear, that's unfortunate to hear. is he still thinking of coming to exeter?
i have an offer from medical imaging/diagnostic radiography.

yourself? :smile: xoxoxoxox
Reply 18
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
i did see a few brown faces haha, but as long i make some good friends i'm not fussed how ethnic or unethic the place is :smile:. oh dear, that's unfortunate to hear. is he still thinking of coming to exeter?
i have an offer from medical imaging/diagnostic radiography.

yourself? :smile: xoxoxoxox

No, he's been completley put off, and is now going to London.
Ok nice. I'm doing Law.

No, he's been completley put off, and is now going to London.
Ok nice. I'm doing Law.

kool beanzzzz, catcha in october hopefully xoxoxo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending