The Student Room Group

Would you ever consider the street charitable jobs?

What I mean are the jobs where you are on the street in the charity uniform looking for people to donate or sign up. I'm thinking of taking one of these jobs but I know im going to annoy a lot of people in the high street and it might be a little embarrasing.:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

A Chugger? I knew someone who did this and said that the money was good. However she did get rather cold in the winter.
(edited 13 years ago)
I feel sorry for chuggers. Working for a good cause but must be pretty soul destroying to have people ignore you all day. Go for a call centre job instead, at least its warm
Reply 3
Original post by gallivandalf
I feel sorry for chuggers. Working for a good cause but must be pretty soul destroying to have people ignore you all day. Go for a call centre job instead, at least its warm

LOL i'l remember that tip, i don't think im too bothered about rejection though
ahaaa give it a go anyway. What charity is it for?
Yup, I've got an interview for one so fingers crossed! Not only is money good, but I'd feel good knowing I was helping people rather than an evil corporation! Plus after doing jailbreak I'm pretty used to people rejecting me even when it's for a good cause :smile:
Don't be a chugger! :frown: It'll destroy your self esteem
Reply 7
You're not doing it for a good cause. If you were you wouldn't be getting paid so much - you'd actually do something yourself. You're just pretending to try to make yourself feel better for having a **** job.
Reply 8
Did it, not worth it.
Annoying people. Especially when its some smarmy 'bohemian lad' (e.g. board shorts, neckercheif, backbrushed hair, aviators on top of head) that tries it on with every female with a pulse.
Reply 10
Original post by gallivandalf
ahaaa give it a go anyway. What charity is it for?

NSPCC, I think i will
Reply 11
Don't run over to me all happy and jolly at ****ing 7am on a monday morning. I am probably on my way for a coffee and I'm in no mood for the 'upbeat' crap you're about to spew at me. I am more likely to punch you than give money to whatever cause you're "representing".
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
You're not doing it for a good cause. If you were you wouldn't be getting paid so much - you'd actually do something yourself. You're just pretending to try to make yourself feel better for having a **** job.

Where did you see that I typed a soppy story about charity. I didn't. I just need a job, i'm not trying to make myself feel better about it, I just want opinions.
Reply 13
Original post by wavey93

Original post by wavey93
Where did you see that I typed a soppy story about charity. I didn't. I just need a job, i'm not trying to make myself feel better about it, I just want opinions.

You might not be but you're not the only one on this thread
Original post by Juno

Personally I'd rather make money for charity than for Primark (one of my other job options)

Yes, I need a job so in that way, I'm doing it for myself. But no, I don't see it as a **** job so why would I need to make myself feel better? The reason I will choose this job over others (if I get through the interview) is when I work, I like to work for something I believe in, and helping others is something I believe in!
Reply 15
Original post by greeneyedgirl

Personally I'd rather make money for charity than for Primark (one of my other job options)

Yes, I need a job so in that way, I'm doing it for myself. But no, I don't see it as a **** job so why would I need to make myself feel better? The reason I will choose this job over others (if I get through the interview) is when I work, I like to work for something I believe in, and helping others is something I believe in!

Most of the money raised goes on your wages and other admin costs - I can't remember, but people need to sign up for 3 or 4 months for any of it to go to the charity. The first few months does not benefit them. So if you actually wanted to raise money for charity you'd do something more worthwhile that is more likely to benefit them. You don't; you just want to eearn money yourself whilst kidding yourself its ok.
Original post by Juno
Most of the money raised goes on your wages and other admin costs - I can't remember, but people need to sign up for 3 or 4 months for any of it to go to the charity. The first few months does not benefit them. So if you actually wanted to raise money for charity you'd do something more worthwhile that is more likely to benefit them. You don't; you just want to eearn money yourself whilst kidding yourself its ok.

I actually do lots of other stuff for charity as well so please don't insinuate I don't want to raise money for charity :hand:

It depends who you do it with as to what percentage of money goes towards the charity, and it's a question I will be asking at my interview! I know the company is commission free which I like :smile:

When is earning money ever NOT okay? I could get a job at Primark and that would be okay and I wouldn't mind at all! Just I would prefer to be doing something where (however small a difference it may make) it is making a positive difference to the world.
Reply 17
Original post by Juno

Oh my miss prissy high and mighty here aren't we.
Reply 18

I actually do lots of other stuff for charity as well so please don't insinuate I don't want to raise money for charity :hand:

Well, you'll be making the same assumptions about anyone who you ask to sign up as if you thought they did charity stuff you wouldn't be asking :rolleyes:
Couldn't do, same as I couldn't do a call centre job. I get annoyed by the people who do those jobs and I don't ever see myself as the pushy salesperson.

And aye, it might be for charity, but if folk want to donate they will (and probably do).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending