The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Being a student at the University of Exeter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
kool beanzzzz, catcha in october hopefully xoxoxo

Woo yeah hopefully we get the grades! Good Luck with your exams. xx
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Original post by Paper_planes
nah nothing like that at all where i am. in a flat of 8 there are 3 of us who are privately educated, but noone cares where you went to school, i've not been asked except for icebreaking/finding out you live in the same area as someone. Not met anyone outlandishly rich at all! Where it is in the world means it's going to be mostly white, but the large amount of internationals esp. in the business school means it's pretty ethinically diverse.

Also, where it is means it's not cheap, so there is that, but really, i don't think anyone really cares. Not heard anyone bragging about school/titles etc. Most people there just seem to want to have a good time, get a degree and meet new people. I've heard horror stories about Holland Hall and Birks being like that, but then all the halls have horror stories about other places being horrible for xyz reasons.

I think you'd really struggle to go there from any background and not make friends! It's really friendly. love it :smile:

Thanks a lot
I firmed exeter last week i am so excitted! Although i am slightly worried about my decision to go for holland hall (i know its a long shot that i would even get it as it is so oversubscribed) but all the other catered accomodation have a chance of shared rooms and i really would not like that.. of course there is birks but i wasnt keen on it when i saw it. Its the snobby aspect i am worried about... i am from a middle class background but i am keen to branch out and meet people from all spectrums not just people with lots of money who i cant keep up with, im from st.andrews so i pretty much live with these people. I am not saying they are bad people most of them are lovely its just the issue that i cant keep up with the money spending. Its probably a stupid worry anyway every year is different, i know i will love exeter whatever!
September seems so far away...!
Reply 23
Original post by Thomas...
No, he's been completley put off, and is now going to London.
Ok nice. I'm doing Law.

Im doing law too :smile: r u just doing straight LLB?
Reply 24
Original post by nuttynatz
Im doing law too :smile: r u just doing straight LLB?

Yes, just straight LLB :smile: what about you? My offer is AAA.
I love Exeter, the uni, the people, the city - such a lovely change from London (just can't wait to leave)

Im going for self catered residence, hopefully James Owen Court, i heard it's one of the really nice ones.

Now to get the grades...
Reply 26
Yes, just straight LLB :smile: what about you? My offer is AAA.

yeah same :smile:- though I might try for the year abroad, but thats still a long way off :smile: I do the IB, and my offer is 36 points (with a 4 at HL english- don't really know why)

Getting quiet excited now- looks like an awesome course and university- was a little scary declining other offers though on UCAS- but I'm glad about Exeter :smile: what subjects do you do?
Reply 27
Original post by xxcloseyoureyesxx
I firmed exeter last week i am so excitted! Although i am slightly worried about my decision to go for holland hall (i know its a long shot that i would even get it as it is so oversubscribed) but all the other catered accomodation have a chance of shared rooms and i really would not like that.. of course there is birks but i wasnt keen on it when i saw it. Its the snobby aspect i am worried about... i am from a middle class background but i am keen to branch out and meet people from all spectrums not just people with lots of money who i cant keep up with, im from st.andrews so i pretty much live with these people. I am not saying they are bad people most of them are lovely its just the issue that i cant keep up with the money spending. Its probably a stupid worry anyway every year is different, i know i will love exeter whatever!
September seems so far away...!

This is why I decided to go for self catered, I don't want to share a room with a stranger from the off. I'm also from a very middle class background and even so I don't want the pressure of holland to keep up and spend spend spend. I can't wait for Exeter!
Reply 28
Yeah, I've heard this about Lafrowda too, I don't think I'll be applying there anyway, I don't much like the look of it. But everyone's view is different.

The new Lafrowda looks really nice, and unless I'm wrong they're knocking down the old blocks this year.
Reply 29
yeah same :smile:- though I might try for the year abroad, but thats still a long way off :smile: I do the IB, and my offer is 36 points (with a 4 at HL english- don't really know why)

Getting quiet excited now- looks like an awesome course and university- was a little scary declining other offers though on UCAS- but I'm glad about Exeter :smile: what subjects do you do?

:smile: I can't wait for Exeter either!
I did History, Chemistry, Biology and Maths for AS and then dropped History for A2. Long story, got rejected from medicine this year, then changed to law etc etc.. So I've only got offers from Exeter and Sheffield anyway. But completely happy with Exeter, and I would apply to it next year too if I had to.
What about you?
Reply 30
Original post by jodiemarie
The new Lafrowda looks really nice, and unless I'm wrong they're knocking down the old blocks this year.

No, yes they are changing it. Most of it was scaffolded while I was there visitning though anyway.
Reply 31
I don't go to Exeter but my best friend does and I've been to visit her quite often. The nightlife is not great at all as there are very few clubs but that is from someone coming from London :tongue: I've always had a good night there, though. What I liked about it is the lovely city. It's actually really pretty and feels so safe and welcoming. It has really nice shops and everything you need, nice architecture (the cathedral is lovely) and yes there is a ratio of people in normal clothes to people in Jack Wills gilets of 2:3 but you say you're from a middle class background so I'm sure you'll blend in :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Arielle
I don't go to Exeter but my best friend does and I've been to visit her quite often. The nightlife is not great at all as there are very few clubs but that is from someone coming from London :tongue: I've always had a good night there, though. What I liked about it is the lovely city. It's actually really pretty and feels so safe and welcoming. It has really nice shops and everything you need, nice architecture (the cathedral is lovely) and yes there is a ratio of people in normal clothes to people in Jack Wills gilets of 2:3 but you say you're from a middle class background so I'm sure you'll blend in :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile: This has made me feel even better about Exeter!
Original post by sam8472
I hate to say it if you've lived anywhere with things to do Bristol, Nottingham, London etc... your going to be seriously let down Exeter’s night life that being said its peaceful pretty and a nice place to live the people are okish although if you live in Lafrowda your going to be seriously handicapped in social circles. Some people say that there is no elitism or snobbery at Exeter but these tend to be the people that are the worse offenders.

Can you tell me about the Lafrowda issues please!
Reply 34

:smile: I can't wait for Exeter either!
I did History, Chemistry, Biology and Maths for AS and then dropped History for A2. Long story, got rejected from medicine this year, then changed to law etc etc.. So I've only got offers from Exeter and Sheffield anyway. But completely happy with Exeter, and I would apply to it next year too if I had to.
What about you?

wow, thats quiet a career change! Still, law is awesome does that mean you did a gap year?:smile::smile: 2 offers is better than none! and Exeter and Sheffield aren't bad unis to get offers from! :smile::smile: I also got an offer from Warwick, but couldn't even consider it as they had a problem with my fee status- anyway, I prefer Exeter :smile:

I do History, Economics and English higher level and Biology, maths studies and spanish at a standard level. (Don't know even where to begin studying- and exams start in less than a month!)

which residence r u applying to?
Reply 35
Original post by sam8472

Original post by sam8472
I hate to say it if you've lived anywhere with things to do Bristol, Nottingham, London etc... your going to be seriously let down Exeter’s night life that being said its peaceful pretty and a nice place to live the people are okish although if you live in Lafrowda your going to be seriously handicapped in social circles. Some people say that there is no elitism or snobbery at Exeter but these tend to be the people that are the worse offenders.

Oh dear.. I was planning on applying for Lafrowda :s What's the problems with it? Which accommodation would you recommend? :smile:
Hey all. I've firmed Exeter for law, and just want to know what is it like to be a student there?
I loved the campus and the feel of it, type of people etc..
What are the socials like and how lively is Exeter itself?

This is s thread for current and prospective students for 2011, what does everyone think? :biggrin:

i'm not a student but have lived here for 12 years :biggrin:
The city itself is quite nice, not too big, but it's big enough :biggrin:
Nightlife is alright but not amazing- there aren't many clubs but the student nights are always pretty decent.
Shopping is ok, we have a lot of the high street stores and also some smaller shops too (check out a great poster shop called athena :wink: )
Tbh if I didn't already live here (I really want to move away for uni) I definitely would have applied, it's a nice place.
Reply 37
wow, thats quiet a career change! Still, law is awesome does that mean you did a gap year?:smile::smile: 2 offers is better than none! and Exeter and Sheffield aren't bad unis to get offers from! :smile::smile: I also got an offer from Warwick, but couldn't even consider it as they had a problem with my fee status- anyway, I prefer Exeter :smile:

I do History, Economics and English higher level and Biology, maths studies and spanish at a standard level. (Don't know even where to begin studying- and exams start in less than a month!)

which residence r u applying to?

Wow you sound like you do a lot!! No I didn't take a gap year, just I had one UCAS option open because you're only allowed to apply to 4 for Medicine for some reason, so I used that for Exeter. I then rang up me other unis that rejected me for Medicine and asked if they would consider me for Law, only Sheffield was still open for admissions.

I think I'm going to apply to Nash Grove, Birks Grange and Rowe House. What about you? :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by bananabrain
i'm not a student but have lived here for 12 years :biggrin:
The city itself is quite nice, not too big, but it's big enough :biggrin:
Nightlife is alright but not amazing- there aren't many clubs but the student nights are always pretty decent.
Shopping is ok, we have a lot of the high street stores and also some smaller shops too (check out a great poster shop called athena :wink: )
Tbh if I didn't already live here (I really want to move away for uni) I definitely would have applied, it's a nice place.

Thanks for the info. Tbh I'm not too fussed about having large clubs, it just allows a haven for chavs and oddballs anyway. As long as there is somewhere to get smashed with decent people, then I'm up for it! I also LOVED the Weatherspoons just outside campus, I think it was called The Imperial? Great pub, it helped that it was full of 'rowdy' students too, shows that you don't need nightclubs to have fun!
I can see your point of not wanting to apply to Exeter, University is about moving away and experiencing new things! Good Luck :smile:
Thanks for the info. Tbh I'm not too fussed about having large clubs, it just allows a haven for chavs and oddballs anyway. As long as there is somewhere to get smashed with decent people, then I'm up for it! I also LOVED the Weatherspoons just outside campus, I think it was called The Imperial? Great pub, it helped that it was full of 'rowdy' students too, shows that you don't need nightclubs to have fun!
I can see your point of not wanting to apply to Exeter, University is about moving away and experiencing new things! Good Luck :smile:

The clubs we do have are really good anyway so it's all good
Yeah imperial is the nicest wetherspoons in Exeter, full of students during fresher's week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending