The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Being a student at the University of Exeter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bananabrain
The clubs we do have are really good anyway so it's all good
Yeah imperial is the nicest wetherspoons in Exeter, full of students during fresher's week :smile:

Brilliant! :biggrin:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 41
Original post by Thomas...
Wow you sound like you do a lot!! No I didn't take a gap year, just I had one UCAS option open because you're only allowed to apply to 4 for Medicine for some reason, so I used that for Exeter. I then rang up me other unis that rejected me for Medicine and asked if they would consider me for Law, only Sheffield was still open for admissions.

I think I'm going to apply to Nash Grove, Birks Grange and Rowe House. What about you? :smile:

lol, thats the Ib for you :frown: a really evil course:biggrin:

medicine is really difficult, I've got two friends who didn't even get interviews and they had decent marks and everything.

I think I like Mardon, and then probably one of the Exeter Halls, but as they seem to be quiete over subscribed, I might choose Birks Grange or something. :smile: Apparently theres an accomadation guide somewhere on the website, so I'll take a look at that first :smile: So many decisions!:biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by nuttynatz
lol, thats the Ib for you :frown: a really evil course:biggrin:

medicine is really difficult, I've got two friends who didn't even get interviews and they had decent marks and everything.

I think I like Mardon, and then probably one of the Exeter Halls, but as they seem to be quiete over subscribed, I might choose Birks Grange or something. :smile: Apparently theres an accomadation guide somewhere on the website, so I'll take a look at that first :smile: So many decisions!:biggrin:

I know! So many, all seem to be on campus though. Yes I've seen the guide, it's quite helpful.
Reply 43
About to firm Exeter for Physics. Don't know what all the fuss is about the lack of night-life there tbh. All the people who I know there seem to have crazy nights out more often than most other unis, although that might be more to do with the company rather than facilities.

As for accommodation - Holland hall all the way. I've got a good friend there - ensuite and double bed is a must for me, although apparently most other halls hate them because they're seen slightly as the 'rich kids'. Seemed to me more like a hotel than a hall of residence though!
Ok I've been at Exeter for (almost) 4 years now, it's lovely :smile: Nightlife isn't a problem for me at all but then I'm not much of a clubber. There are a few clubs- Arena, Timepiece, Mosaic, Rococo's etc. There are looads of pubs too and of course the legendary Firehouse.

RE: accommodation. I went self-catered and very glad I did. A few of my friends were in Holland and the food often looked a bit suspect. They served shark steak once! Holland and Birks are the no.1 hall for rahs, I'd avoid if possible! Completely disagree with the poster above en-suite and double bed are not necessities :P You don't have an en-suite in a normal house! Lafrowda is fine, apart from the lack of a TV. I'd choose low-price accommodation every time, save the money and spend it on something else!

OP what do you mean by socials? There are hundreds of societies/sports clubs and each have socials so they are whatever you want them to be. Then if you're in catered halls there are halls formals plus subject-wide/University-wide balls throughout the year. First one obviously being the Freshers' Ball, then there's the SSB (Safer Sex Ball), the Powderham Ball (although that's been cancelled the last 3 years), the Summer Ball (not running at the mo because of building works, it goes on till 6am) and at the end of it all, the Grad Ball which I am soo excited for :biggrin:
What are the 'issues' with lafrowda mentioned in this thread? I was planning on going for there?
Reply 46
Original post by CarlyT
Oh dear.. I was planning on applying for Lafrowda :s What's the problems with it? Which accommodation would you recommend? :smile:

Nothings wrong with it its great the people are lovely, beds are a little uncomfortable but there is an attitude amongst the general student population that if your from Lafrowda your poor scum. I've been insulted in tutorials for where I'm living and literally had people that I was getting along with turn their backs on me because of it.

Unfortunately for a large percentage of Exeters population money wealth and so called status are everything.
Reply 47
Original post by chasing_dreams
Can you tell me about the Lafrowda issues please!

Hey I just answered this for someone else but to reiterate nothings wrong with it its great the people are lovely, beds are a little uncomfortable but there is an attitude amongst the general student population that if your from Lafrowda your poor scum. I've been insulted in tutorials for where I'm living and literally had people that I was getting along with turn their backs on me because of it.

Unfortunately for a large percentage of Exeters population money wealth and so called status are everything.
Original post by JoRowlingRocks
Lafrowda is fine, apart from the lack of a TV. I'd choose low-price accommodation every time, save the money and spend it on something else!

Which self catered did you go for?Lafrowda is obviously the cheapest but if it's going to make people hate me then it doesn't sound too good... which would you recommend?
Original post by sam8472
Hey I just answered this for someone else but to reiterate nothings wrong with it its great the people are lovely, beds are a little uncomfortable but there is an attitude amongst the general student population that if your from Lafrowda your poor scum. I've been insulted in tutorials for where I'm living and literally had people that I was getting along with turn their backs on me because of it.

So would you suggest not living in Lafrowda? Where would you recommend? It just seems quite stupid paying more just so you get a bigger bed / people like you but at the end of the day I don't want to be looked down on for living in Lafrowda.
Reply 50
Original post by chasing_dreams
So would you suggest not living in Lafrowda? Where would you recommend? It just seems quite stupid paying more just so you get a bigger bed / people like you but at the end of the day I don't want to be looked down on for living in Lafrowda.

No I'd sugest living there its a good location people are on the better side of Exeter's population. I have the attitude that if people are petty enough not to want to know me or insult me for where im living then **** them its their loss. I only brought it up because I feel people should at least have a heads up that this may happen before they get there if that makes sense.
Original post by sam8472
No I'd sugest living there its a good location people are on the better side of Exeter's population. I have the attitude that if people are petty enough not to want to know me or insult me for where im living then **** them its their loss. I only brought it up because I feel people should at least have a heads up that this may happen before they get there if that makes sense.

Yeah that's true. I'll take all that into consideration, thank you!
Original post by felixtang
i'm an international student and i'm not struggling to make friends with white people, but there is a point in saying Exeter is not as racially diverse as it could be

Because universities should be all about having lots of non-white people?

Give your head a shake.
Reply 53
Original post by FiveFiveSix
Because universities should be all about having lots of non-white people?

Give your head a shake.

no it shouldnt be but you could almost play a version of where's wally but with spot the black guy.
this may come across really irrelevant, but is the water in exeter hard or soft? xoxoxo
Reply 55
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
this may come across really irrelevant, but is the water in exeter hard or soft? xoxoxo

Depends if you keep it in the freezer or fridge. :wink:

But in all seriousness, it is soft. Good news for the kettles! Bad news for our teeth!
(edited 13 years ago)

Depends if you keep it in the freezer or fridge. :wink:

But in all seriousness, it is soft. Good news for the kettles! Bad news for our teeth!

haha, i was expecting someone to say that :wink:.
ahh, that's great! i can't stand the taste of hard water, ewwwww. xoxoxo
Reply 57
haha, i was expecting someone to say that :wink:.
ahh, that's great! i can't stand the taste of hard water, ewwwww. xoxoxo

Ha :smile:
I live in a hard water area so I don't really have a problem with it - in fact, I like it!

Ha :smile:
I live in a hard water area so I don't really have a problem with it - in fact, I like it!

really, warwickshire has hard water? i'm not far from where you live (birmingham) and the water's soft. xoxoxoxox
Reply 59
really, warwickshire has hard water? i'm not far from where you live (birmingham) and the water's soft. xoxoxoxox

Oh right. Hmmm. Well in my area the water is most definitley hard! The kettle has disgusting limescale all over it ha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending