The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Accomodation in Durham?

I've got a conditional offer to do a Masters at Durham and I'm not sure what to do about accommodation. I've never actually visited Durham so advice would be much appreciated.

Do most students go for college accommodation? Would I be able to save a lot if I lived in a shared house? I also consider living in Newcastle, which is supposed to be very close.

I'd be glad if current/ former students could help me with this.
Reply 1
Your college provides accomodation for the first year and you live out for the second year. some colleges, like Castle, allow you to move back into college for 3rd year.

Living in Newcastle could work, but I think you'd miss out on college life a lot. :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by ginger.
I've got a conditional offer to do a Masters at Durham and I'm not sure what to do about accommodation. I've never actually visited Durham so advice would be much appreciated.

Do most students go for college accommodation? Would I be able to save a lot if I lived in a shared house? I also consider living in Newcastle, which is supposed to be very close.

Newcastle's not that close, and you'd miss out a lot on living in durham.

Live in college for first year, move out second year, then most have the option of moving back for third year.

Living in college is great, it's like halls in other universities, but you get to know everyone better because it's a community within a community
Reply 3
I think most colleges have postgrad accommodation, Grey certainly does. Would you prefer to be catred or selfcatered because you don't generally save that much money by going selfcatered. If you don't fancy college then one of my friends is leaving as he's got on an prestigious internship programme and I don't think he's found someone for his room in a private house, would you like contact details? Which college are you in?

EDIT: Sorry are you on an undergrad or postgrad masters? Because above posters are correct about arrangements for undergrads.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm going there as postgrad student and I think I would be entitled to college accommodation but the college hasn't contacted me yet. I like the idea if living in the college but I might have to go for a shared flat if it works out a lot cheaper (I might not be able to get funding for my Masters).
Reply 5
Original post by Number6
I think most colleges have postgrad accommodation, Grey certainly does. Would you prefer to be catred or selfcatered because you don't generally save that much money by going selfcatered. If you don't fancy college then one of my friends is leaving as he's got on an prestigious internship programme and I don't think he's found someone for his room in a private house, would you like contact details? Which college are you in?

EDIT: Sorry are you on an undergrad or postgrad masters? Because above posters are correct about arrangements for undergrads.

Postgrad. I'd prefer catered if I could afford it, I think. I don't know which college I'm going to be in because the college hasn't contacted me yet but I've applied for Ustinov.

Yes, it would helpful if you could give me his contact details.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ginger.
Postgrad. I'd prefer catered if I could afford it, I think. I don't know which college I'm going to be in because the college hasn't contacted me yet but I've applied for Ustinov.

Sent you a PM :smile: Catered is obviously more expensive than selfcatered but I have no idea if Ustinov even offers catered! There's a shop at either Ustinov or Josephine Butler, not sure, but failing that Tesco will deliver. But then it's worth thinking about how much you eat and whether you'd get your money's worth from going catered :smile:

EDIT: Apparently it's all self-catered at Ustinov.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Number6
Sent you a PM :smile: Catered is obviously more expensive than selfcatered but I have no idea if Ustinov even offers catered! There's a shop at either Ustinov or Josephine Butler, not sure, but failing that Tesco will deliver. But then it's worth thinking about how much you eat and whether you'd get your money's worth from going catered :smile:

Thanks! I don't really cook properly when I'm busy with uni or work so catered accommodation might be a good idea because I'd probably eat a lot healthier. Didn't go for catered halls in Liverpool though because it was too expensive.
Reply 8
I see. Thanks! I think I asked for catered but put down Ustinov as my choice. They might still ask me about that though.
Reply 9
Original post by ginger.

Original post by ginger.
I see. Thanks! I think I asked for catered but put down Ustinov as my choice. They might still ask me about that though.

yeah, if you want catered you'll have to go for a different college.
What's also worth thinking about is what you want from college. Ustinov is postgrad only, so that would limit who you'd be mixing with. If you go for a catered college you could be mixing with undergrads as well.
If you think you want to be at a different college, you should investigate into them and then contact them.
Reply 10
I've just been accepted into St Cuth's :smile:

I too am a postgraduate (PhD) and I can't decide whether I should live in college or not. College accommodation does come across as a little expensive, but one thing that really bothers me is the list of rules that is associated with living in college.

For the past 3 years I'd shared a private house and had to be accountable to nobody. It just seems like a step backwards moving into the college and having to ask permission to have people sleep the night and other such things.

It all seems like I'm 18 again and moving to uni for the first time....

Can anybody tell me if these rules are actually enforced (especially for postgraduates)?

Any additional info on St Cuths would be nice too,

Adam x
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ginger.

Don't live in Newcastle. It's about 15 miles by road, not close at all. Very quick by train, so if that's your thing then fair enough, you'll have to check the prices.

There are shared houses in Durham.

Anything else you need to know about the place, just ask.
I will be starting this year on a PGCE course. I'm going to be a member of JB college but have already decided not to live in. There seem to be quite a lot of houses left and some are very reasonably priced. My only issue now is who to live with - it is hard when you are going somewhere completely new. :smile:
Reply 13
I am also starting a PGCE in september and got in to Josephine Butler college. I'm not sure about living in their halls either, having spent 3 years living in shared houses in Sheffield I'm not sure I could go back to halls. But as I don't know anyone to live with I'm sort of stuck for any other options.

Also, my family live in Newcastle and from my experience of how long it has taken me to get to Durham from there I'm not sure I'd reccommend it if you have early starts, especially pgce students who may have schools miles away to travel to.

So I'm sort of stuck at the minute of what to do about accomodation for Sept - live in Newcastle and have a long journey to and from uni and whatever school I'm placed in, and I don't drive :frown: or live in quite overpriced halls with a completely random bunch of people as if I'm a first year all over again. Totally confused atm - any advice?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by acalow1989

I too am a postgraduate (PhD) and I can't decide whether I should live in college or not. College accommodation does come across as a little expensive, but one thing that really bothers me is the list of rules that is associated with living in college.

For the past 3 years I'd shared a private house and had to be accountable to nobody. It just seems like a step backwards moving into the college and having to ask permission to have people sleep the night and other such things.

Can anybody tell me if these rules are actually enforced (especially for postgraduates)?

Adam x

With respect to having people stay the night, I've never asked and haven't heard of anyone ever having an issue with not asking, so no need to worry about that. :smile: The only rule I've ever noticed being an issue is the "keep reasonably quiet between 11pm and 7am" and that depends on who's in your block and how ridiculously fussy they can be. I've only had a porter approach me about it when a group of friends I had over could be heard from outside the building.
Original post by ItsaBoo
With respect to having people stay the night, I've never asked and haven't heard of anyone ever having an issue with not asking, so no need to worry about that. :smile: The only rule I've ever noticed being an issue is the "keep reasonably quiet between 11pm and 7am" and that depends on who's in your block and how ridiculously fussy they can be. I've only had a porter approach me about it when a group of friends I had over could be heard from outside the building.

In Trevs, my landing once got 'Noiseline'd for playing Cluedo too loudly. :cool:
Reply 16
Original post by ginger.

Original post by ginger.

I also applied for Ustinov and have already been contacted and have put down my deposit. Maybe you should call them? The deadline to be guaranteed accommodation for Ustinov and to have paid your deposit is 1st July.
Reply 17
Original post by acalow1989

Adam x

I've got a place at St. Chad's for postgraduate study and I applied for Main College catered acomm. I kind of feel the same about the stringent rules but at the same I'm looking forward to college life (and to take a break from cooking all the time) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest