The Student Room Group

Does anyone have a recipe for diabetic shortbread?

We really want to make some shortbread but we can't use sugar seen as my dad is diabetic so does anyone know a diabetic version? Other diabetic recipes are welcome as well :biggrin:
Reply 1
Just use sugar and divide it into smaller portions or do some extra insulin.
Reply 2
Shortbread uses very little sugar, are you sure your dad wouldn't be able to just eat the normal version? Here's the recipe I use, the only thing I change is that it comes out too dry, so I add a bit of milk to bind it together.
Original post by beccac94
We really want to make some shortbread but we can't use sugar seen as my dad is diabetic so does anyone know a diabetic version? Other diabetic recipes are welcome as well :biggrin:

As other people have said, there is not much sugar in shortbread, surely he can have it after a meal or something?
Reply 4
Just use an ordinary shortbread recipe and when it comes to putting the sugar in, just don't add it.

And there we have it.
Reply 5
I read the title and was like :confused: How does shortbread get diabetes?

Then I read the post and realised you meant shortbread for diabetic humans.

I need more sleep :colondollar:
yeah, repeating what people above said, just make normal shortbread and have more insulin or eat it with a meal. I'm diabetic, and can eat shortbread, the likelihood is that the 'diabetic version' you make will have just as much carbohydrate in it as the ordinary stuff, so it doesn't really make that much difference.
I'm diabetic and the advice that Diabetes UK give is to not eat products made for diabetics as they contain the same amount of carbs as normal products.
However, if you really want to make a 'diabetic' shortbread, why not replace the sugar with splenda? It'll taste ridiculously sweet though. :tongue:
Reply 8
if your dad is type 2 and doesnt use insulin then he'll need to avoid the flour as well. If he uses insulin he should be able to adjust for the carbs by taking the apropriate amount of insulin with normal shortbread.

Try using ground almonds and splenda. you wont need the same weight of splenda - its very sweet!
Reply 9
He can eat sugar but just wants to avoid eating it whenever possible seen as like not just for diabetic people but its bad for everyone.
There is a sugar that is called rapadua sugar, my little brother is a type 1 diabetic and also has many allergies. Rapadua sugar I perfect because it won't send his levels high. I know exactly how you feel, hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest