The Student Room Group

Adult student and cooking

Just thought I'd give a bit of background here:
So, I'm 25, graduated from uni two years ago and lived at home with my mum (I still live at home). Now, I'm in my second year of a two year level 5 college course, whilst also on a placement once a week and also volunteering.

However, there is one thing that has come to my mind and it's that I can't cook. Yes, I'm 25 and can't cook. The list of what I'm able to cook is so limited you guys would be shocked. Here are the things I can cook:

- eggs- scrambled or omelette
- steak
- peas and corn
- broccoli
- spinach

Is this normal or is anyone else my age still in this situation? And is there anyone else out there perhaps studying or living alone and cannot cook. I just worry how I'll do it as I'm useless in the kitchen. Any experiences would be extremely helpful
Original post by Gabriela555
So, I'm 25, graduated from uni two years ago and lived at home with my mum (I still live at home). Now, I'm in my second year of a two year level 5 college course, whilst also on a placement once a week and also volunteering.

However, there is one thing that has come to my mind and it's that I can't cook. Yes, I'm 25 and can't cook. The list of what I'm able to cook is so limited you guys would be shocked. Here are the things I can cook:

- steak
- peas and corn
- broccoli
- spinach

Is this normal or is anyone else my age still in this situation? And is there anyone else out there perhaps studying or living alone and cannot cook. I just worry how I'll do it as I'm useless in the kitchen. Any experiences would be extremely helpful

Hiya,

When I first moved out and went to Uni, I didn't know how to cook. All I knew was how to boil pasta and use a store bought sauce and that's pretty much what I relied on during my first term.

What really helped me was watching cooking videos on Youtube and learning new and easy recipes to start off, before moving onto more complicated recipes. I would recommend searching Laura Vitale on Youtube and watching her cooking videos; Her videos are easy to follow and she has recipes for beginners and all her recipes turn out amazing. Cooking isn't easy but finding recipes that make cooking easy is the way to go if you want to start learning and becoming more confident, think about some of your favourite meals and maybe try recreating them using a recipe you found.

Hope this helps and best of luck :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

- steak
- peas and corn
- broccoli
- spinach

Hi there

Yes, it is normal not to know how to cook, and I know people around the same age who have never cooked before.

Since you already know how to cook a few things, that is already a good start. (I think most things can be cooked in the same way and using the same sauces etc.) But if you would like more certainty or to discover new recipes, I found Youtube tutorials really helped me out during University.

I think after a while of following tutorials you would learn the process of cooking, and you can start to come up with some recipes yourself. Take your time to learn and good luck! :smile:

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

- steak
- peas and corn
- broccoli
- spinach

Hey there,

Yes, it is completely normal :smile:

Especially if you are living a very busy life full activities and you simply do not have enough time to learn this skill (and after a working day there is no desire to learn it). I have found myself in the same situation recently, and I understand how you feel.

However, my best advice is to dedicate a day or two on your weekend and google some cooking videos on youtube. As for me, I was really surprised hw relaxing and calming cooking actually is. Now I am constantly trying to find some time during the day to cook even a simple meal (like porridge with eggs for example) and it makes me feel really good :colondollar:

So, do not worry about not having the skill yet. However, remember that it is never late to learn something new!

Take care,
- Ilya:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending