The Student Room Group

Cardiff Vs Southampton

Hi guys..I got offer from both medical school..however, the problem is that i'm stuck between these two..Any suggestion which one is better in terms of:

*Students Life
*Living Cost
*Students Accomodations
*The City

p/s: tq for sharing n helping especially to those who're already in the course
Reply 1
Reputation doesn't matter at all.
Course structure wise they are pretty similar, apart from Cardiff does dissection. They are both very integrated and use the same level of lectures.
Only thing about Cardiff is that they have lower student satisfaction rates.
Student life; Cardiff is meant to be absolutely amazing!! Amazing nightlife, shopping, bars. Ice heard good things about Southampton as well but I don't think it's as good at cardiff.
Living cost; Southampton will be more expensive because it's south England and in Hampshire! Cardiff is generally cheaper in every area.
I think accommodation wise they will be the same, I've never heard complaints about either.
City >> Cardiff wind for me. But they are both great cities!! One thing to remember Cardiff puts you on placements all over Wales, so you can be placed right up in northern Wales. Southampton keep you closer to home.

Here's a link to a site which talks about both med schools, pros and cons etc.

Link
I think cardiff has a great student life rating as in the nightlife bars cafes ect are pretty amazing apparently. Southampton is also ok but not as good from what i have heard. I tbh would go to southampton, dunno why but i would. Tbh course structure is pretty similair. Goood luck :wink::biggrin::smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mclovin123
I think cardiff has a great student life rating as in the nightlife bars cafes ect are pretty amazing apparently. Southampton is also ok but not as good from what i have heard. I tbh would go to southampton, dunno why but i would. Tbh course structure is pretty similair. Goood luck :wink::biggrin::smile:

That's what I was thinking, although I think cardiff is a way better city and the courses are similar I would still choose southampton, how bizarre.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ryan118244
That's what I was thinking, although I tho aeries is a way better city and the courses are sinilar I would still choose southampton, how bizarre.

lol, i know ifanct i am actually applying their, seems to be one of two places i can unfortnitly. damn gcses and as levels :frown:
Reply 5
Reputation doesn't matter at all.
Course structure wise they are pretty similar, apart from Cardiff does dissection. They are both very integrated and use the same level of lectures.
Only thing about Cardiff is that they have lower student satisfaction rates.
Student life; Cardiff is meant to be absolutely amazing!! Amazing nightlife, shopping, bars. Ice heard good things about Southampton as well but I don't think it's as good at cardiff.
Living cost; Southampton will be more expensive because it's south England and in Hampshire! Cardiff is generally cheaper in every area.
I think accommodation wise they will be the same, I've never heard complaints about either.
City >> Cardiff wind for me. But they are both great cities!! One thing to remember Cardiff puts you on placements all over Wales, so you can be placed right up in northern Wales. Southampton keep you closer to home.

Here's a link to a site which talks about both med schools, pros and cons etc.

Link

since i'm international student, could you briefly explain how the city of southampton would look like?

and the living cost, is it too expensive?
Reply 6
It depends what you are comparing it to. Compared to London, Southampton is cheaper. Compared to Cardiff it is probably more expensive.

Cardiff is ag reat city, probably better than Southampton (although I go to Southampton). But Southampton has lots of great areas nearby, and is close to London if that is important to you.

I don't know enough about the Cardiff course to comment but our course has recently been restructured and is apparently a lot stronger than it previously was.
Reply 7
Original post by dugeunx2
since i'm international student, could you briefly explain how the city of southampton would look like?

and the living cost, is it too expensive?

It's very much a southern city, it's quite nice, upmarket. You should just google it.
In general living wise it is expensive, but as it's a student town I'm sure there are deals and cheap accommodation.
Reply 8
It's very much a southern city, it's quite nice, upmarket. You should just google it.
In general living wise it is expensive, but as it's a student town I'm sure there are deals and cheap accommodation.

any nice attraction in soton?
Reply 9
Original post by dugeunx2
any nice attraction in soton?

I dont really know tbh. I don't live their so I don't have the most knowledge of the place. They have good shopping, and a coastline haha and more sun :smile:
It's the largest city on the south coast though so I would imagine there's a lot to do, it's also right by Portsmouth and Bournemouth which are also cities and they have some pretty awesome beaches!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Southampton, IMO.
Reply 11
I guess I'm well positioned to answer this question. I live in cardiff and study medicine in Southampton.
Reputation wise about the same.
Course structure: about the same. Only major difference, as someone else pointed out, is that Cardiff do dissection while we do prosection. Although apparently Cardiff have decreased the amount of dissection they do: they now use prosection for head+neck etc.
Student Life: Student life is what you make of it really.
Student accom: Both have good/new halls of residences. For later years in private accommodation: cardiff generally is cheaper~ £10-15 a week cheaper.
City: Cardiff is a great place to live generally but I think southampton is a great place to spend 5 years as a student.
Reply 12
Original post by Phryx
I guess I'm well positioned to answer this question. I live in cardiff and study medicine in Southampton.
Reputation wise about the same.
Course structure: about the same. Only major difference, as someone else pointed out, is that Cardiff do dissection while we do prosection. Although apparently Cardiff have decreased the amount of dissection they do: they now use prosection for head+neck etc.
Student Life: Student life is what you make of it really.
Student accom: Both have good/new halls of residences. For later years in private accommodation: cardiff generally is cheaper~ £10-15 a week cheaper.
City: Cardiff is a great place to live generally but I think southampton is a great place to spend 5 years as a student.

what do you mean by "southampton is a great place to spend 5 years as a student"??
Reply 13
lol, i know ifanct i am actually applying their, seems to be one of two places i can unfortnitly. damn gcses and as levels :frown:

Southamtpon looks great, I kinda wished I applied there now.

Where else are you thinking of applying to?
Southamtpon looks great, I kinda wished I applied there now.

Where else are you thinking of applying to?

Well i am only in my AS Level year, i am doing biology, psychology, and english lit but was forced to give chem up as i bombed my jan modual :frown:. i am going to do the AS of chemistry during my a2 year lol then take a year out and do experience ect then apply. I will apply for a foundation year at southamptom. Its pretty much the only place i can apply as my gcses are AABBBBBBBCC. its my dream so im am gonna try till i get in no matter how long it takes :redface:. Any advice? god knows i need it :colondollar:.
Reply 15
Well i am only in my AS Level year, i am doing biology, psychology, and english lit but was forced to give chem up as i bombed my jan modual :frown:. i am going to do the AS of chemistry during my a2 year lol then take a year out and do experience ect then apply. I will apply for a foundation year at southamptom. Its pretty much the only place i can apply as my gcses are AABBBBBBBCC. its my dream so im am gonna try till i get in no matter how long it takes :redface:. Any advice? god knows i need it :colondollar:.

Ahh that's sucks. But I'm glad your not giving up!
All I can say is get tonnes of work experience and volunteering and make sure you PS is amazing!! Also practice your interview skills.
If you want any help with your PS I'm happy to help you :smile:
Reply 16

There are LOADS of deals in the city of SOTON. If you buy all your stuff there etc I've heard from the students it's really cheap!
I've found that Southampton isn't that expensive if you go to the right places to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending