The Student Room Group

Two arrested in Paris for Burqa protests, as well as dozens of others

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mel20
I agree with the burqa ban. I wouldn't have agreed if it was a hijab (head covering only) ban. i don't understand why people are against it? A face should be visible and identifiable...

Would you bring in a balaclava ban, as well? And a bandana ban?
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
Nah, most of them are 17 year old yobs. But anyway, what are you expecting? Women to suddenly whip off their burkhas and pull out AK47s?

Wouldn't put it past them! But in all seriousness, if it's legal for some people to completely cover their faces, what right would anyone have to enforce a ban on hoodies, or people wearing balaclavas robbing banks. I'm not saying they'd do it, but people walking around with no identity have a licence to do as they please without chance of punishment just because their religion dictates they wear this; and, for the records, I could go on and on about burqas and the the social implication they have in this country as well as the security risks. The French have it right.
Reply 22
Would you bring in a balaclava ban, as well? And a bandana ban?

Are balaclavas legal in France?
Original post by hatemylife
Wouldn't put it past them! But in all seriousness, if it's legal for some people to completely cover their faces, what right would anyone have to enforce a ban on hoodies, or people wearing balaclavas robbing banks. I'm not saying they'd do it, but people walking around with no identity have a licence to do as they please without chance of punishment just because their religion dictates they wear this; and, for the records, I could go on and on about burqas and the the social implication they have in this country as well as the security risks. The French have it right.

If there were spates of burkha related crime, I might agree with you. But as it is, enforcing such a ban is pointless and infringes on our civil liberties.
The ban is hardly a new thing, it has just come into force today. If its something the French feel strongly about, they have every right to enforce it when it only affects 2000 people over half of whom are not french citizens. It just created a fuss because it involved Muslims, which means the UK are interested.
Reply 25
You can't walk around naked.

If you walk around in just a thong you get stopped. If you walk around all day in a Halloween mask you will, in all likelyhood be stopped by the Police.

It's not just a point about crime. Walking around with your face covered is not something that is done, or deemed acceptable in most Western society. It is part of our culture, there are few legitimate reasons to hide your face. Islam only calls for the hair to be covered, which is fine. There is no need for a full face coveering veil, and it doesn't fit in to our society. Not to mention the opressive conotations along with safety aspects.

Well done to France for having the backbone to make and enforce such a law. I do believe that the Qu'ran states that a Muslim must respect the laws of the country they are in. Surely if these Muslims think they are going to be eternally damned for showing more than their eyes in public they can make the move to any of the multitude of countries that don't have a ban?
If there were spates of burkha related crime, I might agree with you. But as it is, enforcing such a ban is pointless and infringes on our civil liberties.

Not really. This is a Christian country, say what you will about multiculturalism. I really cba to get into a debate atm, but is there really a place in modern Britain for a piece of clothing that has its roots in the suppression of women and all their rights? Read a book called A Thousand Splendid Suns.
Reply 27
Original post by Phantom_X
What France has done is that

1. It will create non-violent martyrs that purposely wear the burqa to piss the police off.

2. It has shot itself in the foot through means of imposing secularism, something that the whole notion of secularism was designed to counter.

And the best part is, Sarkozy wont fair any better in the elections.

But the far right nut jobs will.
Reply 28
Not really. This is a Christian country, say what you will about multiculturalism. I really cba to get into a debate atm, but is there really a place in modern Britain for a piece of clothing that has its roots in the suppression of women and all their rights? Read a book called A Thousand Splendid Suns.

The UK and France aren't officially Christian countries at all. France is secular, and the England is the only country in the UK with a state religion
Original post by Antonia87
Well its not just Islamic symbolism that has taken a battering... France does not really believe in any public religious symbolism. I believe the consensus is that you are French first and Muslim/Catholic/Hindu/Sikh/etc second.

One of the few things France is ahead of most countries on. *dreams of an entirely secular world*
Reply 30
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
People aren't allowed to run around with balaclavas on simply because if they committed a crime it would be almost impossible to catch them, endangering innocent civilians. .

talking about crime...
the countrys where the most number of women wear the burka have statistically the lowest number of crimes.

You can look at crime rates on from various sources yourself, the below pop up first when you google:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

Hmmm..interesting to see france, Uk and other countries come very high usually on crime rate charts....:rolleyes:
I would like to see arab countries such as Saudia arabia and Qatar at the top..

Sigh..having lived in very anti-burka country such as Uk and the very pro-Burka country such as Saudia Arabia, I know where I feel safest walking down the road alone. :smile:
Reply 31
Most of them are children wanting sweets, not followers of a militant religion.

Leave christians outta this
Original post by Aj12
But the far right nut jobs will.

Oh of course, and then hopefully we will have the realisation of what happens when the old romantic notions of nationalism crumble under inevitable globalisation- a lot of broken promises that go beyond opressing muslims, i imagine.
Reply 33
its roots in the suppression of women.

Oh..please.
People should be allowed to wear whatever they want!
That is freedom.
Forcing what not to wear is suppression however.
What do you have to say to women who wear it by personal choice and are not forced??

How about we listen to what the majority of Burka wearing women feel about suppression rather than us sitting here making judgments if they feel suppressed..
Original post by Lewis :D
The UK and France aren't officially Christian countries at all. France is secular, and the England is the only country in the UK with a state religion

I thought France was still Catholic and England/Britain Protestant, both Christians, really.
Reply 35
I thought everyone was all for freedom of speech on here yesterday, surely that includes the freedom to wear what you want.
Original post by pHneutral
Oh..please.
People should be allowed to wear whatever they want!
That is freedom.
Forcing what not to wear is suppression however.
What do you have to say to women who wear it by personal choice and are not forced??

How about we listen to what the majority of Burka wearing women feel about suppression rather than us sitting here making judgments if they feel suppressed..

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, so I won't waste my time. Don't wish to be rude, but....
Reply 37
Original post by doggyfizzel
it only affects 2000 .

Number should not matter. 2000 0r 20 people. Ban is talking their 'freedom' away and is suppressing them as they are noteven able to dress up how they want!
That is doing unjustice to the monority.
In history the monority has always suffered.:rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by moonkatt
I thought everyone was all for freedom of speech on here yesterday, surely that includes the freedom to wear what you want.

Yes thats what I though..:confused:
Original post by pHneutral
talking about crime...
the countrys where the most number of women wear the burka have statistically the lowest number of crimes.

You can look at crime rates on from various sources yourself, the below pop up first when you google:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

Hmmm..interesting to see france, Uk and other countries come very high usually on crime rate charts....:rolleyes:
I would like to see arab countries such as Saudia arabia and Qatar at the top..

Sigh..having lived in very anti-burka country such as Uk and the very pro-Burka country such as Saudia Arabia, I know where I feel safest walking down the road alone. :smile:

Sorry to pick up on this but, fundamental flaw here.... just because there is less crime in those countries and they wear burkas there, does not mean theres a causal connection between the two. Perhaps it is that in those countries people wear burkas because of their religion, but people (often not muslims) actually do wear them in non muslim countries to commit crime, to make it harder for them to be caught... how can anyone tell the difference between an ordinary woman and a criminal when they are both entirely covered by a veil? The only way you can identify a criminal is by seeing them do it, and if you cannot see them, criminals can't be identified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending