The Student Room Group

Will there be less applicants for 2012 entry??

Kinda asks the question in the title, but anyway, what is everyone's opinions on the number of applicants that there will be this year?? Would the fact that tuition fee 'effect' would have worn off meaning students will go on gap years?....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes, but there will be also fewer places.
Reply 2
in terms of medicine? i honestly dont think their will be tbh, it should be quite close to the amount of applications this year. However you also have to take into account that ever year that has gone by their has been increase in applicants
Reply 3
In nursing, unless the NHS cuts funding (which would be a mistake given he current governments policy of reducing/restricting non-EU residents from working here, many of whom are currently helping to cover staff shortages) then I doubt there will be much less than say the 2010 applicants.

Applications for this year were extremely high (50 applicants for each nursing slot at Nottingham) as it is the last year that the (fully-funded, non-means tested bursary) nursing diploma is being run. As of 2012 the only access into nursing will be the (means tested) nursing degree.
Reply 4
Give me a minute.

Let me get out my crystal ball...
Reply 5
I doubt someone motivated to study medicine would be turned off by the fee tbh

e: thisismycatch22 wtf(what) have you negged me for?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dmz

why? i would be..
I don't understand the whole English fees thing when it concerns them applying to Scottish unis...but does the fee rise mean that there will be more competition for Scottish universities?
Original post by dmz

Me, too. Brother demi. Me iz poor, blood. :colone:
Original post by atomos
I don't understand the whole English fees thing when it concerns them applying to Scottish unis...but does the fee rise mean that there will be more competition for Scottish universities?

I believe that this will definitely happen, which will mean that Scottish applicants will have a tougher time getting in.

It's not fair, but hopefully something will be done regarding English students coming here.

I don't mind if 1 or 2 English students come. Demi(DMZ) is welcome as he is cool. :cool:, but nobody else. They must be Scottish or pledge their loyalty to Scotland and come over to the dark side. Lol. :eek:
Original post by Beska
Give me a minute.

what does the crystal ball say, beska. :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by firestar101
what does the crystal ball say, beska. :colondollar:

"Reply hazy, try again later."
Original post by John Locke
why? i would be..

Medicine applicants seem like the most motivated out of the lot to me, and if you're somebody willing to go through all the **** you have to do just to get accepted, the rise in fees probably wouldn't affect you as much as applicants for different subjects.
Plus, given that medicine has the highest employment rate, you're going to be able to go into a well payed job fairly swiftly.
Original post by firestar101
I believe that this will definitely happen, which will mean that Scottish applicants will have a tougher time getting in.

It's not fair, but hopefully something will be done regarding English students coming here.

I don't mind if 1 or 2 English students come. Demi(DMZ) is welcome as he is cool. :cool:, but nobody else. They must be Scottish or pledge their loyalty to Scotland and come over to the dark side. Lol. :eek:

Ah dear. I should probably start revising for my exams this year then so that I stand a chance next year reapplying!
see signature :wink:
you can't really tell. head of UCAS at my school thinks we will have it easier than last year's cohort (but last year was ridiculously competitive because of some people who were going to take a gap year not taking one).
Original post by Beska
Give me a minute.

While you're at it can you find out what grade my final year project will get?
Reply 17
I doubt it. With medicine, there is a career at the end, meaning you're more likely to be able to pay off your student debt than, for example, a Geography degree. And considering how harsh it is a career, I think anybody who wants to do it is unlikely to be deterred by the cost.
It's not just the increased tuition fees that should cause less applicants, it has a knock on effect to those on gap years, as 2011 applicants may be put off reapplying and instead take up their fifth option, with much lower tuition fees. But yes there will be less places too, so competition may rise/fall, it's unclear at the moment.
Reply 19
Original post by Normandy114
It's not just the increased tuition fees that should cause less applicants, it has a knock on effect to those on gap years, as 2011 applicants may be put off reapplying and instead take up their fifth option, with much lower tuition fees. But yes there will be less places too, so competition may rise/fall, it's unclear at the moment.

why would there be less places?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending