The Student Room Group

How to calculate how much I need to get a first?

Ok, im a bit confused on how to calculate what percentage I need in my final exam to get a first in my first year of my degree?

Basically I have done coursework, which is worth 40% of the overall grade and I got 70% in it.

The exam is worth 60%.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
try 70%
What is the grade boundary for a first?

If it is 70% then you need 70% on the exam too!
So far you've got 70% of 40%, so you've got 28% of your final grade. It's easier to work out since you got right on the boundary for a 1st, but that's generally how i'd work it out. But if you're having trouble working that out you may want to rethink your degree choice?
Reply 4
Lol....yea i'm not doing a maths degree, i'm doing Business. I hate maths, as you can see :tongue:

The boundary is 70% to get a first.

This is how i'd work it out, im pretty sure its not correct.

so i have 28% of my overall grade for my coursework, so

70-28= 42

so i need 42% in my exam???....lol
Reply 5
I hope you're not doing maths.
Let me get this straight. Here we have someone who thinks she may be good enough to get a top grade in degree-level mathematics. Yet she is incapable of calculating a simple percentage, which is something that most people learn at primary school. Standards must seriously be falling.
Original post by hdin1
Lol....yea i'm not doing a maths degree, i'm doing Business. I hate maths, as you can see :tongue:

70-28= 42

so i need 42%???....lol

You need to score 70%.

So far you have scored 70% - right on target.

This means you need to score 70% on the examination component.
Reply 8
Original post by hdin1

70-28= 42

so i need 42% in my exam???....lol

No, it means you need 42 out of 60 marks, which is 70%.
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
Let me get this straight. Here we have someone who thinks she may be good enough to get a top grade in degree-level mathematics. Yet she is incapable of calculating a simple percentage, which is something that most people learn at primary school. Standards must seriously be falling.

Lol..im not doing maths. But its because my teacher was working it out a different way, so I got a little confused.

She's reading Business but your point still stands.
Reply 11
lol...ok thanks everyone I get it now! :smile:
Original post by hdin1
Lol..im not doing maths. But its because my teacher was working it out a different way, so I got a little confused.

It is still primary school maths. :biggrin:
40(%) divided by 100 = 0.4
0.4 multipled by 70 (your grade) = 28% (overall)

0.6 (weighting) multplied by 70 (exam grade) = 42%

28+42=70%
Original post by Mr M
She's reading Business

That almost makes it worse! I wonder how many percentage profit/loss calculations she'll have to perform before her employer goes out of business on the basis of duff calculation?
Reply 15
It is still primary school maths. :biggrin:

Lol...yea maths was always my worse subject :tongue:
Reply 16
That almost makes it worse! I wonder how many percentage profit/loss calculations she'll have to perform before her employer goes out of business on the basis of duff calculation?

Seconded

I mean seriously, good troll but kinda **** at the same time

Numeracy seems to be optional in some Business courses.
Original post by Mr M
Numeracy seems to be optional in some Business courses.

Yup. Even to dignify such a calculation with the name mathematics is an insult to arithmetic!

Let me get this straight. Here we have someone who thinks he may be smart enough to wade into an argument with a snide comment. Yet he is incapable of basic logic, something most people learn at primary school. No conclusions about standards can be drawn from this incident.

Quick Reply

Latest