The Student Room Group

Changing course

hi, is it possible that I can change course when I’m going into my third year and get into a course through clearing to go back to 1st year and restart university again because I am not interested in the course which I am doing and I feel like I have wasted a lot of time in the course that I’m doing .
Reply 1
Yes- can you afford the fees?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Yes- can you afford the fees?

will student finance not cover it?
Reply 3
Original post by python147816

In England I think you would need to fund the first year yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
In England I think you would need to fund the first year yourself.

how much will that cost
Reply 5
how much will that cost

For a UK student I think £9,250 a year plus you would need to cover your living costs.

Not usually. You normally get a fully time tuition fee entitlement of "length of degree + 1 year (gift year) - number of years HE previously". So if you are finishing your second year now and aiming to reapply to first year in a new 3 year degree, you would have 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years of entitlement and thus would need to self fund tuition fees for at least one year (which due to how SFE calculate your entitlement, is always the FIRST year(s) in the new course). Tutition fees are set by the unis and will usually be the maximum allowed (£9250 currently).

There are some full time exception courses that may not consider previous study in HE - like nursing or midwifery. I would suggest checking with SFE if the new course is an exception course in the specific situation you are in (explain exactly what your current situation is with regard to number of years of prior study, whether it was full time or part time etc). I believe it's mostly allied health professions courses currently though.

Note though that part-time study is calculated from a separate "pot" and so as long as you haven't earned any qualifications from your study so far, you would still have a full amount of funding for a part-time course. So that might be an option to explore as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending