The Student Room Group

Ratio of people who get in

im really sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how many people get an offer from any medical school out of everyone who applies? so basically the ratio of people who get in to who don't? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I read somewhere that 60% of people end up with four rejections. So that must mean 40% of people get an offer from somewhere? Hope that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if not! :smile:
Original post by Smelly Ellie
I read somewhere that 60% of people end up with four rejections. So that must mean 40% of people get an offer from somewhere? Hope that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if not! :smile:

This is generally true, though the thinking is that it may be higher this year for four rejections due to the increase in fees...
60% get 4 rejections....

this year will be higher as those normally taking gap years would apply
Reply 4
I see...thank you! :smile:
Original post by infernalcradle
60% get 4 rejections....

this year will be higher as those normally taking gap years would apply

Yeah i know somone with the best academia you could imagine.... he took a gap year of 5 years!!

He's trying to apply to KCL for Medicine this year.
UCAS statistics show that for medicine for 2010 entry there were 20,938 applications for 7,947 places.
Original post by IAmMclovin
I see...thank you! :smile:

Manchester are telling people that nationally it has increased to 80% of people receiving 4 rejections :s-smilie: Someone said it in another thread so I don't have a link.

It is impossible to get truly 'accurate' figures, since you only apply to 4 unis and they will have their own odds. Aberdeen for example (2010 entry) received 11 applications for every place.

Most people get rejected. That's the gist of it :frown:
Reply 8
for UCL i think its 80% rejection
Reply 9
most uni tell u that kind of stuff on their opendays
Reply 10
this isnt really important.

most of the peopel applying dont have a clue. They are school children with no idea how to work out what they want,, never mind how to apply for it.

You however likely really want your place, and that means you will go for it more than half heartted applyers, and this means you will get your place, perhaps not in this application but at some point soon YES.

Please dont listen to any medics who want to big themselves up with ridiculous figures, they arent even 1/10th as important and acheiving as they think they are. The odds are far worse for most job applications.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Each year there are about 20-25K applicants chasing around 8K-ish places, so in sheer numbers about 40% of people get a place. But I wouldn't read very much into it, since you can interpret that as both more and less encouraging than it probably is like Gizmo said.

I'm not sure where those Manchester and UCL statistics have come from but they are wrong. If you look on UCAS Statistics Online you can see that 24,354 people applied for all A*** course codes (both medicine and dentistry) and 9246 people got a place. Dentistry only makes up about 5-10% of that so you can essentially ignore it.

If you look at UCL specifically you can see there were 2394 applications for 352 places - so about 15% of applications got a place. HOWEVER - everyone gets 4 applications so I think somewhere along the line someone has crossed applications and places over. About 40-45% of all people get a place, but an indidivual application (of which everyone has up to 4) has about a 15-20% chance of being sucessful.

Which is why most people who get a place in theory only get one. Although what I have noticed (totally anecdotally) is that one group of medical schools seem to have a lot of single-offer students and another group have a lot of 2-3 offer students. I'm not sure if other people would agree with that though - it might just be the people I've met?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah, if you go to a uni open day they will tell you the latest figures. For example, at the BSMS one, we were treated to a thoroughly confidence-slashing line graph of success rates and available places etc. :smile:
Reply 13
Look at this:
http://www.ucas.com/about_us/stat_services/stats_online/data_tables/hesubject

24,354 Applicants (for med + den) and 9,246 offers.

Approx 2.6 applicants per place, so roughly 1 in 3. 66% rejections.

Although here at Eton, its 10 out of 10 get in.
Reply 14
Original post by Nation

Lucky for some.
Reply 15
Original post by adamtian

Original post by adamtian
for UCL i think its 80% rejection

That is actually terrifying.
Original post by Nation

Not first time around. I know that for certain.
Reply 17
Original post by Gizmo!
this isnt really important.

most of the peopel applying dont have a clue. They are school children with no idea how to work out what they want,, never mind how to apply for it.

You however likely really want your place, and that means you will go for it more than half heartted applyers, and this means you will get your place, perhaps not in this application but at some point soon YES.

Please dont listen to any medics who want to big themselves up with ridiculous figures, they arent even 1/10th as important and acheiving as they think they are. The odds are far worse for most job applications.

Yeah, thanks, i see where you're coming from.....

but regardless, its still pretty daunting/confusing with so many people coming out with different figures etc. :/
Reply 18
Original post by Nation
Look at this:
http://www.ucas.com/about_us/stat_se...bles/hesubject

24,354 Applicants (for med + den) and 9,246 offers.

It's actually 24,354 applicants for medicine and dentistry and 9,246 accepted places - not offers. 'Accepted places' refers to places that are firmed once all examination results are known; you can hold more than one offer but you can only take up one accepted place.

Original post by Nation

Original post by Nation
That guy hair is blughhhhh. Here at Eton, they wouldn't let you have that hair style.

Original post by Nation
You met him online, here at Eton, we'd get into lots of trouble for dating.

Original post by Nation
Ditch her, here at Eton we don't have gfs cause its a boys only school.

Original post by Nation
My friend here at Eton, yes im from Eton; said his dad sponsered the Channel 4 program, although now he regrets it.

Someone has an Eton fetish :rolleyes: You do realise that people who did attend the school don't feel the need to name drop quite so often...
Reply 19
Original post by Nation

But thats wrong... Pretty much every one of the top public schools: eton, Westminster, Stowe, Harrow, Wellington college, rugby etc are all aver subscribed. I should know I recently applied to a few (got offers at all :-) ) and the applicants : places ratio ranged from 60:30 to 120:8
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending