The Student Room Group

higher english folio, hows it going?

Scroll to see replies

Almost finished mine: I've handed all the necessary essays in and such but my argumentative essay needs shortened and my teacher didn't know which parts to take out so has given it to the English Head... whom hasn't given it back yet... this was a while ago...

My teacher thinks both my argumentative essay (about the taxpayers funding the Pope's UK visit last year :biggrin:) and my short story are both A's so I'm very happy :smile:
Almost done. Just have to redraft them for a final time before submitting. I did a discursive and I'm predicted 21 and I'll be submitting that. I also did a creative but I don't know the mark on that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
im completely panicking haven't got either pieces done to be honest i have barely even started my creative - imaginative writing is really not my thing. So yeah pretty much freaking out right now :eek:
Reply 23
I believed the deadline was the start of this year as we did all ours before Christmas!
Reply 24
my creative is alright. it just needs some minor corrections. However, my discursive essay is still 200 words too long, and I don't know what else I should take out...
Happy with my discursive (Are men more intelligent than women?), my teacher gave it a 23 because apparently the SQA don't ever give folio's 25's because they're miserable, fun-hating tools, but there you go. Just wrote a whole new creative piece, and I think this one is much better than my old one. My old one was really boring. This one's about domestic abuse so I'm hoping it'll be better.
Reply 26
Handed mine in last week, I was forced to do a short story though which was an absolute nightmare for me, it's definitely going to stop me getting an A. Hoping for 15 for creative and 21 for discursive overall though:smile:
Reply 27
for the guys that unwillingly did a creative, you could have done a reflective instead :L
I've finally completely finished my folio. Now moving onto hardcore studying :smile:

My teacher gave me 38/50 for the folio, but she was tempted to give me 40/50 so I'm chuffed :smile:
Reply 29
so everyones done well
lets hope that its only the TSR lot that score high so the cut offs stay at 65% :L
Original post by rajveers
so everyones done well
lets hope that its only the TSR lot that score high so the cut offs stay at 65% :L

Yeah, I really hope the boundary stays at 64% I think it was *fingers crossed*. Also good luck with your exams in general :smile:
All done and submitted. YAYYY!!! =)
Reply 32
Compleated the flyleaf last week and now folios all out the way! :biggrin:

Only got 30/50 for the folio, I really struggled at the begining of the year so I'm happy with my score, I don't know how I managed to get ** B for the prelim but hope I can pull it off the real exam.
Reply 33
Original post by Quick-use

Close Reading = 40% - 50/50

Critical Essays = 40% - 50/50

Folio = 20% - 50/50

Formulas are, respectively:
Close Reading = X/50*40
Critical Essays = X/50*40
Folio = X/50*20

For example, imagine you got 40/50 for Close Reading, 42/50 for Critical Essays and 40/50 for Folio.

Close Reading = 40/50 = 0.8 --> 0.8*40 = 32/40
Critical Essays = 42/50 = 0.84 --> 0.84*40 = 33.6 = 34/40 (I rounded 33.6 to 34)
Folio = 40/50 = 0.8 --> 0.8*20 = 16/20

Overall: 32 + 34 + 16 = 82/100

I don't even study Maths this year so my formula may be flawed, but I got my geeky friend to check it, so it's all good. :biggrin:

Your grades look promising as it is, so suerte! :wink:

(Sorry didn't really understand that but I'll confirm the formulas>>>)

There's a page on the sqa website where you can input "what if" scores to work out your overall english mark. I cba linking the page but the definite formula is as follows;

Close Reading Mark x 0.8
Critical Essays Total Mark x 0.8
Folio Total Mark x 0.4

Add up all those and you get a total percentage mark for higher english :smile:

Not bragging or anything but I got 50/50 in my folio, so it can be done:cool:
But I'm the world's worst at critical essays so it balances out...:s-smilie:
Reply 34
Original post by Arianto
(Sorry didn't really understand that but I'll confirm the formulas>>>)

There's a page on the sqa website where you can input "what if" scores to work out your overall english mark. I cba linking the page but the definite formula is as follows;

Close Reading Mark x 0.8
Critical Essays Total Mark x 0.8
Folio Total Mark x 0.4

Add up all those and you get a total percentage mark for higher english :smile:

:eek:Wow, how on earth did you get that? I've been a total idiot with my folio and left it to the last minute, ours are getting sent away next Friday and im still trying to finish my story :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Original post by beth..
:eek:Wow, how on earth did you get that? I've been a total idiot with my folio and left it to the last minute, ours are getting sent away next Friday and im still trying to finish my story :s-smilie:

Theoretically you have all the time in the world to do it, then edit it and edit it again so it just sounds mature and glossy :cool: (doing it on the computer)

For my folio I did persuasive against faith schools (which I'm quite passionate about) and for the creative a personal experience of a backpacking trip I was on.

You doing a short story for the creative then?
Reply 36
Original post by Arianto

I take it that's your teachers mark not the actual final mark for the folio? Because if it is that's annoying.
Reply 37
Original post by soup
I take it that's your teachers mark not the actual final mark for the folio? Because if it is that's annoying.

Yeah it's my teachers, and I'm pretty sure she won't overmark it (that'd be so annoying); she said the SQA probably won't mark it down...
It's impossible to get the actual mark just now. Actually, it is said that people won't know what their marks are for the Folio unless the teacher enquires after the results.

People in my class were given 23s for their writing pieces; however, the teacher gave us 'safe' marks just incase the marker is harsh. Therefore, people who should get 23s were given 17s as a safe mark: thus, no-one is particularly safe even if one is given a 23 or a 25 by their teacher.
Reply 39
Original post by Arianto
Theoretically you have all the time in the world to do it, then edit it and edit it again so it just sounds mature and glossy :cool: (doing it on the computer)

For my folio I did persuasive against faith schools (which I'm quite passionate about) and for the creative a personal experience of a backpacking trip I was on.

You doing a short story for the creative then?

Yeah im writing a story about a teacher's first day which is extremely boring and currently doesnt have a title or and an ending for that matter.
I wish i'd been as organised as you, i did a couple of drafts of my persuasive about abolishing the monarchy but i've left it far too late for my creative :frown: Hopefully i'l be able to scrape a 17 for it if the marker's feeling generous :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending