The Student Room Group

Mature students 2011 entry

Hi,

Have any mature students applied for an undergraduate degree at Cambridge for 2011 entry? I'm sure there's many of you lurking, so let's introduce ourselves.

I've applied for English.

What about the rest of you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me, for theology, but I believe our paths have already crossed. They're either all hiding or it's just you and I, well, at least in the March round. There is TomU who has gained a place already, in the first round, and that is all I know of. How did you find your Lucy Cavendish interview?
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm going to be applying for architecture next October for the 2012 entry, at St Johns.
Reply 3
Original post by katee85
Me, for theology, but I believe our paths have already crossed. They're either all hiding or it's just you and I, well, at least in the March round. There is TomU who has gained a place already, in the first round, and that is all I know of. How did you find your Lucy Cavendish interview?

Hiya! Yes, I remember you from my travelling to Lucy thread. :smile:

My interview went quite well and was focused entirely on my Personal Statement. It was very academically rigorous. I believe there were four of us applying for English and probably only one place available. Do you know if they interviewed more people for the same subject the following day? Assuming they didn't, then I have a one in four chance of being accepted. I have the mighty UCL as my 'back up' choice (whose English department, incidently, is more sought after than Cambridge's). It's a valuable experience no matter what happens.
Reply 4
Original post by Eggs and Ham

My interview went quite well and was focused entirely on my Personal Statement. It was very academically rigorous. I believe there were four of us applying for English and probably only one place available. Do you know if they interviewed more people for the same subject the following day? Assuming they didn't, then I have a one in four chance of being accepted. I have the mighty UCL as my 'back up' choice (whose English department, incidently, is more sought after than Cambridge's). It's a valuable experience no matter what happens.

I was there Thurs 7th and it was just myself and another (music undergraduate applicant). There was, apparently, meant to be another Theology applicant but they cancelled. I was told that we were the last of the non-law students (think they have their interviews next week). So I'd say your odds are still 1 in 4!

I totally agree, fantastic experience and, regardless of the putcome, I am very glad to have applied. I really enjoyed myself; which I have subscequently interpreted to mean I failed miserably. The interviews were good fun, not so keen on the general test though, and everyone was super nice. Just really hoping the decision letters aren't delayed by the upcoming succession of bank holidays; it's the final piece of my UCAS puzzle and I so want to have it all put to rest by the end of the month.

Did you meet any Architecture applicants? Also, did either of you go to the mature application open day in September?........

Edit: Did you two apply after the general Jan 15th deadline?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by katee85
I was there Thurs 7th and it was just myself and another (music undergraduate applicant). There was, apparently, meant to be another Theology applicant but they cancelled. I was told that we were the last of the non-law students (think they have their interviews next week). So I'd say your odds are still 1 in 4!

I totally agree, fantastic experience and, regardless of the putcome, I am very glad to have applied. I really enjoyed myself; which I have subscequently interpreted to mean I failed miserably. The interviews were good fun, not so keen on the general test though, and everyone was super nice. Just really hoping the decision letters aren't delayed by the upcoming succession of bank holidays; it's the final piece of my UCAS puzzle and I so want to have it all put to rest by the end of the month.

So basically it's just you who applied for Theology meaning you've got no competitors :biggrin:

I had two interviewers, one of whom had a very aggressive style of interviewing (and who did most of the questioning). I didn't have a moment to breathe- it was simply one question after the other. But I really enjoyed the experience and relished being pushed to the absolute limit. That's what attracted me to Cambridge. I think I would secretly love to study there, but it won't be the end of the word if I'm unsuccessful- my first priority, being a mature student, is to get myself into a university.

Decisions should be posted next week (Weds), so we'll probably know by next Friday. I feel exhilarated but extremely nervous at the same time... by the way, did you notice on the Lucy prospectus it states you need the equivalent of AAB at A level (even though the typical Cambridge offer is A*AA)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by King-Panther
Did you meet any Architecture applicants? Also, did either of you go to the mature application open day in September?........

Edit: Did you two apply after the general Jan 15th deadline?

No architect students or applicants encountered on my part. Yes, I attended the mature applicants day in September. (I highly recommend it to mature applicants, not only was it very informative but I also had the chance to chat to the Director of Admissions for Lucy Cavendish, so having already met made the interview process less daunting). I remember a prospective architect student from the event: black hair, dressed smartly, clad with black portfolio, sitting at the front, slightly to the left. I have a suspicion that was you?

I submitted my UCAS application early December.

So basically it's just you who applied for Theology meaning you've got no competitors :biggrin:

I had two interviewers, one of whom had a very aggressive style of interviewing (and who did most of the questioning). I didn't have a moment to breathe- it was simply one question after the other. But I really enjoyed the experience and relished being pushed to the absolute limit. That's what attracted me to Cambridge. I think I would secretly love to study there, but it won't be the end of the word if I'm unsuccessful- my first priority, being a mature student, is to get myself into a university.

Decisions should be posted next week (Weds), so we'll probably know by next Friday. I feel exhilarated but extremely nervous at the same time... by the way, did you notice on the Lucy prospectus it states you need the equivalent of AAB at A level (even though the typical Cambridge offer is A*AA)?

No competitors would be nice, it would certainly compensate for my fears that Lucy Cavendish haven't had a Theology undergrad on their books, so to speak, in years and don't like us!

There are so many misconceptions that I took on board prior to interview that I can now dispel. It was a really satisfying experience being pushed in that way and just made me want to study there even more! I'm the same as you though and am very grateful to have a place at university, so it won't be the end of my world if I am rejected.

Yes, I did spot that in the prospectus! I then proceeded to scour every inch of the thing looking for a copyright date or similar. I concluded, given the dated fashion of some of the ladies photographed (sorry), that it was probably out of date. It wouldn't make sense for them to admit candidates with lower results then other colleges. :confused:
Original post by katee85
No architect students or applicants encountered on my part. Yes, I attended the mature applicants day in September. (I highly recommend it to mature applicants, not only was it very informative but I also had the chance to chat to the Director of Admissions for Lucy Cavendish, so having already met made the interview process less daunting). I remember a prospective architect student from the event: black hair, dressed smartly, clad with black portfolio, sitting at the front, slightly to the left. I have a suspicion that was you?

I submitted my UCAS application early December.

O.k, I don't think architecture applicants can submit a late application, we must apply by October 15th. Yes, I was sat at the front, to the left, I was dressed quite smart, I'm Asian by the way. Did you and I speak to one another?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
katee85

No competitors would be nice, it would certainly compensate for my fears that Lucy Cavendish haven't had a Theology undergrad on their books, so to speak, in years and don't like us!

The impression I receive from this is that they don't have to admit students if they don't want to. So even if there was one person applying that doesn't necessarily mean that individual will be accepted or indeed that the admissions process and outcome will be any easier. Even though there were four of us applying it's entirely possible they may choose to reject all of us.

katee85
There are so many misconceptions that I took on board prior to interview that I can now dispel. It was a really satisfying experience being pushed in that way and just made me want to study there even more! I'm the same as you though and am very grateful to have a place at university, so it won't be the end of my world if I am rejected.

I completely agree with us. The great thing about the college was how laid back everyone was. I was expecting to see a few toffs, but I saw none! Even the Admissions Tutor was lovely and made me feel at ease. I couldn't say this about the other Cambridge colleges though; perhaps it's just our college, given that it's fairly modern and accepts a mature student intake.

katee85
Yes, I did spot that in the prospectus! I then proceeded to scour every inch of the thing looking for a copyright date or similar. I concluded, given the dated fashion of some of the ladies photographed (sorry), that it was probably out of date. It wouldn't make sense for them to admit candidates with lower results then other colleges. :confused:

It's possible it might be out of date but it seems unlikely that they would show a dated prospectus to prospective students.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
The impression I receive from this is that they don't have to admit students if they don't want to. So even if there was one person applying that doesn't necessarily mean that individual will be accepted or indeed that the admissions process and outcome will be any easier. Similarly, even though there were four of us applying it's entirely possible they may choose to reject all of us.

Yes, that is my understanding too; my comment was some vague attempt at optimism! Furthermore, continuing with the optimism, there is nothing to say that all four of you English applicants couldn't all be accepted. I was told that places for the arts subject are not as strictly capped as some courses are, say medicine (the example given at the applicants day was, how ever many cadaver legs can be obtained often dictates the exact amount of places).

It's possible it might be out of date but it seems unlikely that they would show a dated prospectus to prospectus students.

I would hope not, but...

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/pages/admissions/undergraduates/how-to-apply/academic-preparation.php

Anyhoo, nearly over now. Only 5 days of waiting to go then UCAS 2011 can be concluded. Hope it all works out how you want it to.:crossedf:

Original post by King-Panther
O.k, I don't think architecture applicants can submit a late application, we must apply by October 15th. Yes, I was sat at the front, to the left, I was dressed quite smart, I'm Asian by the way. Did you and I speak to one another?

No, you're right, architecture students are specifically mentioned in the October deadline. Also, not only are you excluded by subject choice but also by college choice as the second round only applies to Lucy Cavendish, Hughes Hall and St. Edmunds.

We didn't speak but I remember a prospective architecture student, that was seated a few rows in front of me asking some interesting questions. It seems it was you!
Hi,

Have any mature students applied for an undergraduate degree at Cambridge for 2011 entry? I'm sure there's many of you lurking, so let's introduce ourselves.

I've applied for English.

What about the rest of you?

Hallo, think I've said hi on some other thread, but MML at King's (I applied in October, sorry if you meant to target only the March applicants!)
katee85

Decisions are going to be posted on Wednesday, which means we probably won't receive it until Friday. However, UCAS Track will be updated automatically, most likely on Wednesday so we find out online first. If this is the case then the process of letter sending seems a bit redundant.
Decisions are going to be posted on Wednesday, which means we probably won't receive it until Friday. However, UCAS Track will be updated automatically, most likely on Wednesday so we find out online first. If this is the case then the process of letter sending seems a bit redundant.

Could be, given that the mature round is a lot less busy than the October round, but I was told don't wait for UCAS, we aren't going to get any time to sort that out for ages, just wait on our letter to you! Hopefully it'll be faster for you guys. Fingers crossed!
Original post by chai wallah
Could be, given that the mature round is a lot less busy than the October round, but I was told don't wait for UCAS, we aren't going to get any time to sort that out for ages, just wait on our letter to you! Hopefully it'll be faster for you guys. Fingers crossed!

Hey, didn't see your post above. :smile: I hope the letter arrives first, I'm getting incredibly nervous just thinking about it...
Reply 15

Thanks, I hope it will be faster too but I'm convinced the letter/UCAS will get caught up in the Friday and Monday bank holiday; I have become so uncharacteristically impatient this week. Congratulations on your place by the way! I have a tad of degree envy for MML; what languages will you be opting for?
Original post by katee85
Yes, that is my understanding too; my comment was some vague attempt at optimism! Furthermore, continuing with the optimism, there is nothing to say that all four of you English applicants couldn't all be accepted. I was told that places for the arts subject are not as strictly capped as some courses are, say medicine (the example given at the applicants day was, how ever many cadaver legs can be obtained often dictates the exact amount of places).

I would hope not, but...

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/pages/admissions/undergraduates/how-to-apply/academic-preparation.php

Anyhoo, nearly over now. Only 5 days of waiting to go then UCAS 2011 can be concluded. Hope it all works out how you want it to.:crossedf:

No, you're right, architecture students are specifically mentioned in the October deadline. Also, not only are you excluded by subject choice but also by college choice as the second round only applies to Lucy Cavendish, Hughes Hall and St. Edmunds.

We didn't speak but I remember a prospective architecture student, that was seated a few rows in front of me asking some interesting questions. It seems it was you!

Good luck, I hope you get in.
Original post by katee85
Thanks, I hope it will be faster too but I'm convinced the letter/UCAS will get caught up in the Friday and Monday bank holiday; I have become so uncharacteristically impatient this week. Congratulations on your place by the way! I have a tad of degree envy for MML; what languages will you be opting for?

thanks! French and German - I was tempted to go for a wildcard like Arabic/Persian/Swahili/Turkish (that's what you get for getting drawn in by the Cambridge and UCL/SOAS prospectuses) but settled down in the end :smile: I'm wondering if you're in my city because of your uni choices!
Reply 18
thanks! French and German - I was tempted to go for a wildcard like Arabic/Persian/Swahili/Turkish (that's what you get for getting drawn in by the Cambridge and UCL/SOAS prospectuses) but settled down in the end :smile: I'm wondering if you're in my city because of your uni choices!

That sounds like a really good combination. Yep, I'm a fairly local lass, I originally hail from The Black Country (Dudley) but live in Leicestershire, although can be found, one evening a week, in Brum learning Arabic at The Brasshouse Centre (just off Broad Street). I have baggage, albeit good baggage (husband and children), so my UCAS choices were mostly limited to those that I can commute to, Cambridge being the exception. To justify relocating it would have to be for a very special pull so, considering I had the space on my choices list, I decided to apply to Cambridge. Part of me would love to go but if I'm rejected then at least I don't have to spend this summer packing and moving, every cloud and all that!
Original post by katee85
That sounds like a really good combination. Yep, I'm a fairly local lass, I originally hail from The Black Country (Dudley) but live in Leicestershire, although can be found, one evening a week, in Brum learning Arabic at The Brasshouse Centre (just off Broad Street). I have baggage, albeit good baggage (husband and children), so my UCAS choices were mostly limited to those that I can commute to, Cambridge being the exception. To justify relocating it would have to be for a very special pull so, considering I had the space on my choices list, I decided to apply to Cambridge. Part of me would love to go but if I'm rejected then at least I don't have to spend this summer packing and moving, every cloud and all that!

Wow, you're studying Arabic, are you from that part of the world or just have an interest in the language?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending