The Student Room Group

There is no excuse to be unemployed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by f00ddude
60 jobs a week for 6months and you couldnt get a job? FYL your doing something wrong
in the last year alone ive started 3 jobs 1 was full time, then quit that when i got into uni and got 2 part time jobs 1 for at home 1 at uni and had offers from all 5 places ive applied
they are retail jobs but thats better than none

3 of my mates have got decent paying full time jobs since xmas, if you dont get a deent job within a few months, take up one of the many retail vacancies that seem to be available rather than moaning

It could be down to location. Your profile says you're in London and that's probably the easiest place in the country to get a job. Not all of us are lucky enough to have parents who live in London.

Does the number of job vacancies exceed the number of job seekers? NO! So it's inevitable that a certain amount of people will be jobless, and will remain so.
Reply 161
I live in Leeds and that didnt stop me getting a job in London. But I do agree that has become increasingly hard to get a GOOD job.
"Start your own business!" is the most pointless and vague advice ever. Start a business doing what, exactly?
I have no unique knowledge, skills, service or product to offer that doesn't already exist. If there is some amazing gap in the market just waiting to be exploited, I don't have the business acumen to spot it. So...yeah.
Reply 163
I know someone who lost their job at McDonald's. This may answer some questions
Reply 164
Original post by mjeezy
Obviously there are going to be people who need what the state provides, and for those that TRULY need it, then I have no qualms. But to say it's ok for someone to stay on the dole for self-preservation? Maybe if they required the benefits just to survive. But other than that, I think the laws should be changed so that if you are an able-bodied adult with no excuse then you should only be provided for by the society somewhere near the bare minimum to survive. There is no excuse for such a person to leech off of the rest of us, even if they are "better off".

I wasn't sure what your view on this was based on your post, so I thought I'd elaborate on it with my views.

Like you said, there are almost always vacancies at fast-food places, so a lot of the problem is that people think they are too good for certain jobs, IMO :/.

I agree with you completely. However, your post highlights the issue that I was trying to get at.

The problem is not with the individuals who use the system. The problem originates solely with the system itself, and it is the system that should be changed; it is futile to try and change the mindsight of thousands who 'misuse' the system.
Reply 165
Original post by el scampio
It could be down to location. Your profile says you're in London and that's probably the easiest place in the country to get a job. Not all of us are lucky enough to have parents who live in London.

Does the number of job vacancies exceed the number of job seekers? NO! So it's inevitable that a certain amount of people will be jobless, and will remain so.

possibly, but even at uni theres tonnes of retail vacancies
other mates have got part time jobgs at theirs as well

jobs do not exeed demand, but a lot of the unemployed just aren't looking at the low paid ones
theres something like half a million registered vacanies, enough to get 1/4 unemployed a job

theres something like half a million registered vacanies, enough to get 1/4 unemployed a job

Maths fail?
Reply 167
Original post by WelshBluebird
Maths fail?

on your behalf it seems
theres something like 2 million unemployed
half a million jobs,
half a million is a 1/4 of 2 million

theres something like 2 million employed

2 and half million. Thus it a fifth.
And that figure of half a million vacancies includes part time and temporary work, that aren't really going to pay the bills, along with posts that will probably be filled by internal candidates.
And you are forgetting to include location and skill factors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by Lassilsa
On the news there was a man saying, 'the foreigners work for peanuts'. But they can only for minimum wage ffs, which the last time I checked was hardly peanuts.

These British people need a good kick up the backside to get a job.

Please name one capitalist nation where there is 0% unemployment.
Reply 170
Original post by Keckers
I agree with you completely. However, your post highlights the issue that I was trying to get at.

The problem is not with the individuals who use the system. The problem originates solely with the system itself, and it is the system that should be changed; it is futile to try and change the mindsight of thousands who 'misuse' the system.

I agree! I said the law should be changed, not the people. I simply meant that the reason the system needs to be changed is because of those peoples' mindsets.
Reply 171
Oh Tory propaganda. Look what
Reply 172
Original post by WelshBluebird
2 and half million. Thus it a fifth.
And that figure of half a million vacancies includes part time and temporary work, that aren't really going to pay the bills, along with posts that will probably be filled by internal candidates.
And you are forgetting to include location and skill factors.

We shouldn't forget underemployment either and which amounts to a form of partial unemployment. Plenty of people are only able to find part-time jobs when they'd really like a full-time one and it's a worsening problem as more and more companies and sectors prefer to offer mostly, or even only, part-time opportunities.
Reply 173
This is what the Daily Mail does to people's opinions. Sad really ...
Reply 174
Original post by Jarowi
This is what the Daily Mail does to people's opinions. Sad really ...

How about you form an opinion based on things other than the semi-meme 'DailyFail' and reading a few select articles in the Guardian every now and then.
It's amazing there are people in this thread that seem to think that just because they managed to find a job and are doing okay that this entails that the unemployed are simply lazy.
Obviously location plays a huge role. Obviously certain cities will have more jobs due to bigger financial service sectors (Bristol, Leeds, London etc) or on the other side of the coin larger manufacturing sectors (Southampton, Liverpool, Newcastle etc) compared to say the average market town. Some cities and towns are going to always have more job vacancies regardless of a recession. Remember that that figure of 2.5 million unemployed to 500,000 jobs = 1 job for every 5 people is NOT evenly distributed over the UK. Not by a long shot. Some areas are going to be 1 job for 2 persons whilst others will be 1 job for every 10.

This should really be obvious as it's common sense, but some people seem to believe just because they are one of the lucky ones to be living in a place which hasn't been much affected, that everywhere else must be the same and unemployment patterns are evenly spread...Sorry but that's just pig-ignorant.
Original post by Irrelevance
Anybody can get a job in McDonalds or as a toilet cleaner for anywhere. The trouble lies in getting a job in the same field as your degree if you aren't somebody who has graduated from a "decent" university in accordance with league tables.

What makes you so sure? When 200 people apply to these jobs, the person with the restaurant or cleaning experience will be chosen over the people without experience or the over qualified graduate.

People like the OP are the reason I don't use TSR much any more. The youth of today are so clueless about real life. Schools need to do more to teach people life skills.
Reply 177
Highlighting sephiroth's point, tried applying for a cleaning job last week, was essentially a bog cleaning job, the advertisement was withdrawn in less than 24hrs of the job being advertised due to there being too many applicants
the fact of the matter is, yes there are less available jobs. however, some (not all) british people do not want to work for only minimum wage, and if they do they dont work to the best ability which is why british employers are now more inclined to employ foreign workers as they do work exeptionally hard and do not care what they are getting paid. im not saying this applys to everyone. but i no it certainly does in my region as we have a high rate of unemployment. that much so that the bbc made a documentry on it 'the day the immigrants left'

http://www.youtube.com/user/Result0#p/u/3/bbq_2dai4Hk
Reply 179
a good excuse for being unemployed is that you get "free money" from the government. With that incentive it's surprising anyone works at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending