The Student Room Group

Unemployed

So I graduated in July 2023...I have worked at a petrol station from October-December. I am now unemployed again so what do I say when I eventually get a job interview and they ask me why I was unemployed? Can I just say that I wasn't getting anything and then I went to work for my cousin's petrol station for 3 months? This was the actual case? Also can I apply for 2024 graduate schemes?
Reply 1
According to your research on vacancies published by companies recruiting for those graduating in 2024, what is the eligibility that they publish? You must have looked at some of the schemes that are open now for the career you are interested in or related to the subject of your degree.

I graduated some years ago so things may have changed. Then they started recruiting at the end of the penultimate year with the aim of making offers by the spring/summer of the final year with start dates in the summer/autumn. They were not interested in anyone who had graduated the previous year.

Perhaps things have changed since then. There were only crumbs left after finals had taken place and they shunned anyone who graduated the previous year. Hopefully someone will let you know.

What type of graduate scheme/job are you interested in?
Reply 2
I see you have a degree in Theology.

If you are a Universal Credit claimant, you can ask your Work Coach to refer you to an employability organisation like People Plus or others.

Or you can look into conventional jobs like teaching, civil service, Armed Forces, local council etc etc where you have the opportunity to work your way up.
Reply 3
Original post by stmkcltrs
So I graduated in July 2023...I have worked at a petrol station from October-December. I am now unemployed again so what do I say when I eventually get a job interview and they ask me why I was unemployed? Can I just say that I wasn't getting anything and then I went to work for my cousin's petrol station for 3 months? This was the actual case? Also can I apply for 2024 graduate schemes?
Yes you are definitely eligible for 2024 graduate schemes. I've also heard that grad schemes will generally accept applications from anyone who's graduated up to the previous 2-3 years, so if unsuccessful you can even try again next year and the year after that. Best time to look at grad schemes is September-December time though, as a lot of them will have already filled all their spaces by this point.

My personal experience of job interviews is that I was never really asked in detail what I'd been doing since graduating. I think most employers understand that the job market is really difficult for new graduates at the moment. If you are asked, and it'll probably just be small talk rather than an actual interview question, try and dress up your answer a bit so that it'll give the interviewer a good impression (maybe something like 'I've been job searching, in the meantime i've been doing online courses including in [skill the employer wants], and working on [productive sounding hobby], and also worked in a petrol station').
Reply 4
Original post by Compyjo
According to your research on vacancies published by companies recruiting for those graduating in 2024, what is the eligibility that they publish? You must have looked at some of the schemes that are open now for the career you are interested in or related to the subject of your degree.
I graduated some years ago so things may have changed. Then they started recruiting at the end of the penultimate year with the aim of making offers by the spring/summer of the final year with start dates in the summer/autumn. They were not interested in anyone who had graduated the previous year.
Perhaps things have changed since then. There were only crumbs left after finals had taken place and they shunned anyone who graduated the previous year. Hopefully someone will let you know.
What type of graduate scheme/job are you interested in?
I just wanted a graduate scheme in administration
Reply 5
Original post by Pedr0
Yes you are definitely eligible for 2024 graduate schemes. I've also heard that grad schemes will generally accept applications from anyone who's graduated up to the previous 2-3 years, so if unsuccessful you can even try again next year and the year after that. Best time to look at grad schemes is September-December time though, as a lot of them will have already filled all their spaces by this point.
My personal experience of job interviews is that I was never really asked in detail what I'd been doing since graduating. I think most employers understand that the job market is really difficult for new graduates at the moment. If you are asked, and it'll probably just be small talk rather than an actual interview question, try and dress up your answer a bit so that it'll give the interviewer a good impression (maybe something like 'I've been job searching, in the meantime i've been doing online courses including in [skill the employer wants], and working on [productive sounding hobby], and also worked in a petrol station').
thank you so much x :smile:
Reply 6
I’d agree that you still are eligible. A friend who has been unemployed and has not worked at all since graduation last June has just got into a graduate scheme with Nat West. They didn’t ask her about it at all at her assessment centre, it just wasn’t an issue. She did do lots of preparation for her her online testing and assessment centre though.
Original post by stmkcltrs

You can apply to grad jobs, worse case you can work at the gas station and make a career out of it. Not everyone is destined to get there "dream job" we need people in society to pump gas, wait tables and flip burgers just as muhc as lawers, doctors, consultancets etc :smile:
I'm on the same boat but working part-time at a restaurant rn. 2024 grad schemes are definitely accepting and even most of the 2025 ones since they accept people who graduated in the previous 2 years. I've applied for most of the 2024 ones and hoping to get some good news or I'll have to apply for the 2025 ones :frown:.
Reply 9
Original post by AngelinaAii
I'm on the same boat but working part-time at a restaurant rn. 2024 grad schemes are definitely accepting and even most of the 2025 ones since they accept people who graduated in the previous 2 years. I've applied for most of the 2024 ones and hoping to get some good news or I'll have to apply for the 2025 ones :frown:.

I wish you all the best, it is truly so difficult out there☹️❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending