The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KayteeKaytee
You could put this on the Durham Firmers thread too.

haha yeahh I realised that after I posted here :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4821
Original post by angelmxxx
Mildert is one of them, according to their website.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/van-mildert.college/undergraduate/fees/

How recent was your letter?
The best thing to do is to ring up the college asap and ask what exactly the options are, how much it will cost and what financial help they have to help you. :smile:

Do you happen to know about St Chads? I checked their site but they only seem to have last years rates up.....
Reply 4822
Original post by sam1am
Do you happen to know about St Chads? I checked their site but they only seem to have last years rates up.....

Chad's as far as I know are the only college not to announce yet :moon:.
Original post by Folie
Fantastic :/ I have a letter dated 6th April that says "the basic charge for standard-term time accommodation, including all meals will be approx £4980 p.a. There will also be a number of rooms available for an extended letting period". So that's more than £500 difference. Not very impressed to be honest seeing as I could have had a room at Warwick (self-catered admittedly for £70 a week). Seems a bit late to be springing it on students.

Rant over. I guess I just need to contact the college to find out more. £5500 seems extortionate though, when there's no choice of accommodation within colleges price-wise.

It's ridiculous I know, there's a campaign at the moment by current students to reinstate 33 week lets.

But definitely email the college, and tell them how distressing it is. If potential students voice their disgust too they might listen!
Original post by Mithra
Chad's as far as I know are the only college not to announce yet :moon:.

I think they're an independent college so they might be ok? :s-smilie:
Original post by Folie
Fantastic :/ I have a letter dated 6th April that says "the basic charge for standard-term time accommodation, including all meals will be approx £4980 p.a. There will also be a number of rooms available for an extended letting period". So that's more than £500 difference. Not very impressed to be honest seeing as I could have had a room at Warwick (self-catered admittedly for £70 a week). Seems a bit late to be springing it on students.

Rant over. I guess I just need to contact the college to find out more. £5500 seems extortionate though, when there's no choice of accommodation within colleges price-wise.

Do e-mail the college principal/vice chancellor - it's an absolute joke of a situation. Current students are trying to do something about it, but reaction from Freshers to be would be great.
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Sappho
Are you German?

No (: I live in Germany, but I'm british/american
Reply 4827
I applied for MA Management in late february. Still waiting for a reply :frown:
Reply 4828
ahh my IB exams start tomorrow!! :frown: wish me luck guys i want nothing more than going to Durham i've always loved it so much!! Hope i get the grades :smile:
Reply 4829
John Snow College for Accounting and Finance :biggrin:
Hi im applying to do Geology at Durham and staying at University College.
Durham is my first choice and i understand that im likley to share a room at my college.
However i am gay and although i dont have a problem sharing a room, i understand it could be an issue for someone else. I would just like to know if anyone could tell me what to do or who to talk to in advance if an issue were to arise. Id be grateful for any advice.
Thankyou for your time.:colondollar:
Just let your senior tutor know - she may put you in a single room or ensure that you're sharing with someone who is comfortable with sharing with you.
Original post by LondonGirl22
Just firmed Chad's for Philosophy! Heck yeahhh xD

:awesome:

I'm in my second year studying Philosophy, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 4833
Just started IB exams...
Done the first half of English, Maths is OUT OF THE WAY! annnnd impending History, Chemistry etcetc is really driving me insane.

I have another little problem as well that's really pissing me off. My Dad's not going to let me go to Durham if I get over 40 in my IB. He wants me to reapply to Oxford. I've done it once and I don't want to go it again. Sooo in other news I hope I flunk? I can't wait until September!!!
Firmed for NatSci at Castle! Finally!!!!!
firmed law at trevelyan college!
Original post by mafia dude
Firmed for NatSci at Castle! Finally!!!!!

Best of luck in your exams, hopefully we'll be seeing you in October :biggrin:
Original post by lcarter33
Hi im applying to do Geology at Durham and staying at University College.
Durham is my first choice and i understand that im likley to share a room at my college.
However i am gay and although i dont have a problem sharing a room, i understand it could be an issue for someone else. I would just like to know if anyone could tell me what to do or who to talk to in advance if an issue were to arise. Id be grateful for any advice.
Thankyou for your time.:colondollar:

If you are applying to University College, you are actually more likely to get a single room. Also- on your form you can request specifically to get a single room (if you have a good reason- I'd say you do, I know people with much more superficial reasons to have single rooms :biggrin: ). I would hope that any Castleman would be more than o.k. with your sexuality though, and we have a great welfare team here.

Good luck with your application and exams, and hopefully see you in Durham.
Original post by benmarch
Best of luck in your exams, hopefully we'll be seeing you in October :biggrin:

I no longer have any exams -> unconditional :biggrin:
So, see you in October!

Original post by benmarch
If you are applying to University College, you are actually more likely to get a single room. Also- on your form you can request specifically to get a single room (if you have a good reason- I'd say you do, I know people with much more superficial reasons to have single rooms :biggrin: ). I would hope that any Castleman would be more than o.k. with your sexuality though, and we have a great welfare team here.

From what I believe to have heard the rooms inside the Castle tend to be doubles and the ones nearby (Owengate, Saddler St, N Bailey) have the singles. Is this true?
Also, I didn't get to see any of the accomodation areas when I was there. I couldn't come for the open days and when I did come I hadn't told them. So after the 4pm guided tour where I was shown all the historical stuff the appropriate perople weren't there anymore and I had to beg to be shown the undercroft bar. My fault of course, planning :biggrin: but can you tell me about it?
Ought to go into the "ask a student thread" of course but I just thought of it now seeing as I have a castle physicist to talk to :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Sociology at University College~an oversea student.

Latest