The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Zottula
Interestingly, I have received more letters than emails from Imperial. I guess my department works a little differently.

Geology eh?

One of my friends who applied there got the offer at the interview :tongue:
Or rather, he was told that he will get the offer by the interviewer hehe
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 401
Original post by Dark-Myth
Geology eh?

One of my friends who applied there got the offer at the interview :tongue:
Or rather, he was told that he will get the offer by the interviewer hehe

Oooh lucky him. I was waiting a week to find out. One of my mates got rejected so I was pretty nervous.
Reply 402
Hi does anyone know if we have to place the offer as firm/insurance before Imperial will send out the accomodation details?

Is it the general admission team or the respective department that is tasked with sending accommodation information?
Original post by nikita_atikin
Erm, just wondering if Computing 1st years have their own freshers events? :smile:

No.
Reply 404
Original post by minefield
Hi does anyone know if we have to place the offer as firm/insurance before Imperial will send out the accomodation details?

Is it the general admission team or the respective department that is tasked with sending accommodation information?

Yes to the first one - no (affirmative) decision, no application. It says so clearly on the website:

As an undergraduate student you are guaranteed a place in Imperial College London accommodation for your first year of study, provided that:

-You have accepted (!!!!!) a conditional or unconditional offer from us (i.e. you are CF or UF at Imperial College London)

(Be thankful I'm not taking the mick and making that "accepted" any more of an eye-catching-sore that it needs to be. :tongue:)

Also, I'm pretty sure that accommodation info is handled by the Student Accommodation Center under the Student Hub. I believe that at most, all that the respective *academic* depts have to do with accommodation and such is just redirecting pre-frosh like us to the right people.
sorry to be somewhat ignorant about how the accomodation works but when/how do you actually get to choose your hall? (assuming no private accomodation)

also do I get some sort of penalty in choosing if I am putting down Imperial as my second option? (first is Cambridge but I got STEP so there is chance of failure)
Hi guys does the internet in the halls allow you to play online games (like WoW)?
Reply 407
Original post by dwarfwarri
Hi guys does the internet in the halls allow you to play online games (like WoW)?

Yes but you'll have no friends
Reply 408
Original post by Heroesorghosts
Hey guys, sorry if it's been asked already in this thread (I'm quite sure it has), but does anyone know when in May we are to expect to be able to choose accomodation? Also do we receive a letter/form or email regarding it? As I'm currently not at my UCAS address, nor will I be for a few months! Also have people received much correspondence from Imperial via email/letters? All I've got was a confirmation of receiving my application and an update on Track and am beginning to wonder if I've missed out on anything by not being at my UCAS address. Thanks.

It will most likely come on the form of an e-mail, i haven't received one letter from imperial at all, and i don't think you will have missed any post not being at UCAS address. The email should come towards the end of may.
Original post by taheki
Yes but you'll have no friends

He'll be friends with other people who play WoW, I heard there's quite a lot of them.
I used to play quite a lot of WoW, but since I quit I don't play it anymore....just asking so maybe I could occasionally play some online games
Reply 411
Hey I used to play WoW :wink: Albeit on a private server
I'd still play if I had the time...

Yes they would. I'd die inside if they wouldn't :P How am I to keep myself occupied when nobody is going out?
Although, they have banned WoW in the library.
Reply 412
Original post by freefrag
I heard there's quite a lot of them.

Almost certainly, but you never see them.. for exactly that reason

Seriously though, I can't understand why you'd pay thousands of pounds to come to one of the best universities in the world and fester in your bedroom all evening shouting at moody American teenagers online
Original post by taheki
Almost certainly, but you never see them.. for exactly that reason

Seriously though, I can't understand why you'd pay thousands of pounds to come to one of the best universities in the world and fester in your bedroom all evening shouting at moody American teenagers online

Yeah but you could say the same for drinking/partying.

People are paying for the Imperial brand name.
Reply 414
I'm beginning to think that perhaps a sticky of Accommodation FAQs should be in order, with answers to new Q's added as they come in. :tongue: That way, peeps a) won't ask repeat Qs as there's a list to read already, and b) can't complain about "having to read through SOOO many pages even though the question's already been asked".

Oh, and people should also TRY at the very least to look up Imperial's website; as that's where most info can be found. Other nitty-gritties (like the social side between halls, etc), that's another story.

Aaaaaaanyway.

Original post by Heroesorghosts

Spoiler

Original post by HaouLelouch

Spoiler

Right, I'll answer these two in one go.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when in May you'll get accommodation info emailed/mailed (I believe it's both) to all of us pre-frosh; but anytime after our UCAS reply deadline (5 May, when we should've firmed/insuranced) is a good bet.
I've mentioned it before; but as you have to get your accommodation apps in by late July, I wouldn't worry about not having received the email/letter until June-ish (I've been told they don't start allocating rooms until September, as they need to suss out who's actually made their firm/insurance offers.) Beyond that, email them.

Hall selection procedures might change this year so I can't vouch for the following 100%; but in previous years, seniors have mentioned that you go through a series of Q's asking you which price band and room type you're after, as well as your hobbies/interests (so you get a good mix of peeps) and whether you prefer to sleep by 11pm (Beit's out of the question if such xD), etc etc. They also ask you which is more important to you, room type or price band.
You're also given the chance to list 5 halls+rooms of your choice; though be warned that you might not get any of your 5 - sometimes you might get the hall you want but not the room type you put down; or vice-versa (right room type, wrong hall.)

@HaouLelouch - If you've put down Imperial as your insurance offer, then you don't get the accommodation app until August 1 (so if that's what you mean by "penalty" - interesting choice of words! - then that's it.) Imperial say that they're usually able to offer accommodation to those who put them down as an insurance. Although, I will say that it's possible that you -might- get it emailed to you at the same time as those who've firmed Imperial; so if that happens to you, I recommend you fill it out ASAP (there are some cases - albeit few - of insurance offer holders who end up having to find private accommodation.)

@Heroes - Sometimes you might get hard copies of offer letters sent to your UCAS address. In my case, my interview invite from Imperial wasn't via email; it was only sent via post; but most unis seem to favor email correspondence for things like this, so you *should* be fine.
If you don't get an accommodation app email by June, I can guess that they've probably mailed it to you; go ahead and email them then if that's the case.

You could even use it to be a white-collar criminal if you wanted (I jest)...there's a 5GB limit over a rolling 24-hr period though. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 415
Original post by innerhollow
Yeah but you could say the same for drinking/partying.

People are paying for the Imperial brand name.

Touche. My course at Impy is almost 2x the price I'd pay to go to Leeds (my insurance) or any of the other unis I've had offers from. :/ 22+ thou (+1k increase every year), goodness.
Reply 416
Original post by arianex
Touche. My course at Impy is almost 2x the price I'd pay to go to Leeds (my insurance) or any of the other unis I've had offers from. :/ 22+ thou (+1k increase every year), goodness.

You paying international fees?

Jesus. I'm so glad my mum has decided to work here...
Reply 417
You paying international fees?

Jesus. I'm so glad my mum has decided to work here...

Mais oui. :frown:

Ooh! What does your mum do?
Reply 418
Original post by arianex
Mais oui. :frown:

Ooh! What does your mum do?

Her job title is Snr Power Systems Engineer. Which is basically electrical engineering. :tongue:
She persuaded me to do EEE at imperial.
Reply 419
Her job title is Snr Power Systems Engineer. Which is basically electrical engineering. :tongue:
She persuaded me to do EEE at imperial.

Ah, so it runs in the family, then. :tongue: Chemistry does, in my family; it's our best subject. Funny thing is, dad and mum didn't major in it or anything remotely close to it (I think I'm going to be the closest, I'm the only one doing it up to A2 so far. xD)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending