The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: Edexcel Biology unit 5 Pre Release Discussion (:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Flutterby
*subscribe*

hey u got question on the article !!
I'll be posting the questions in a while.
Reply 22
Original post by jonathan3909
I'll be posting the questions in a while.

if u cn do it thnx dude !
Questions with a *star* require careful consideration and thinking.

1)Suggest two ways by which endurance can be enhanced.

2)Based on your knowledge and Mantyranta's condition , describe the working of an anabolic steroid.

3)Suggest how kidney failure or AIDS could lead to anemia.

4)In 1989 , the biotech company Amgen began marketing Epogen,an injectable form of epo produced by recombinant bacteria.Describe the risk of using genetically modified organisms.

5)"Doping is a part of the business cycle"
Outline the ethics of using performance-enhancing drugs.

6)*Blood and urine of athletes are routinely tested at every competition.Suggest why two samples are taken of each blood and urine?

7)Charles Yesalis , an epidemiologist at Pennsylvania State university has interviewed more than a thousand athletes who have admitted to taking banned drugs.Give reasons to show whether this statement is reliable or unreliable.

8)What is the risk involved in injecting epo in healthy individuals?

9)*Explain the difference b/w correlation and causation.Use the data on page 3 to assess the relationship b/w using adenovirus and increase in muscle mass , to AAV's to determine the epo delivered to mice and monkeys.

10)*With reference to page 4 , 'all forms of epo are produced by a single gene'.Explain how post transcriptional changes can give rise to more than one protein from a gene.

11)Suggest the risks involved in IGF-1 gene therapy.

12)Explain the problems encountered by scientists for administering IGF-1 therapy.

13)*Describe the role of primary and secondary immune response's following IGF-1 gene injection in to the body.

14)*"The stakes in modern sports are high both in prestige and in money".
Which lines from the article support this idea.
Page _____________________________________________________
Lines_____________________________________________________

15)Describe an absolutist's and relativist's ethical position on the proposal to set a maximum total of RBC's count for athletes rather than measure EPO level.

16)Outline the role of transcription factors in the control of gene expression.

17)*How would a change in temperature effect the working of a proteosome.

18)Explain the mechanism of actional potential with reference to para 1 on page 8.

19)Describe the structure of a muscle fibre.

20)Why is increase in muscle mass alone , not of great help to athletes?

21)State two conditions in which using gene therapy for increasing muscle mass is advantageous other than sports.

22)*Why is it easier for athletes to tamper the results of EPO testing?

23)*Outline all the methods given in the article by which muscle performance can be enhanced referring to any ethicla and safety issues.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
i'm not to hot on the questions above tbh
Reply 25
Original post by jonathan3909
Questions with a *star* require careful consideration and thinking.

1)Suggest two ways by which endurance can be enhanced.

2)Based on your knowledge and Mantyranta's condition , describe the working of an anabolic steroid.

3)Suggest how kidney failure or AIDS could lead to anemia.

4)In 1989 , the biotech company Amgen began marketing Epogen,an injectable form of epo produced by recombinant bacteria.Describe the risk of using genetically modified organisms.

5)"Doping is a part of the business cycle"
Outline the ethics of using performance-enhancing drugs.

6)*Blood and urine of athletes are routinely tested at every competition.Suggest why two samples are taken of each blood and urine?

7)Charles Yesalis , an epidemiologist at Pennsylvania State university has interviewed more than a thousand athletes who have admitted to taking banned drugs.Give reasons to show whether this statement is reliable or unreliable.

8)What is the risk involved in injecting epo in healthy individuals?

9)*Explain the difference b/w correlation and causation.Use the data on page 3 to assess the relationship b/w using adenovirus and increase in muscle mass , to AAV's to determine the epo delivered to mice and monkeys.

10)*With reference to page 4 , 'all forms of epo are produced by a single gene'.Explain how post transcriptional changes can give rise to more than one protein from a gene.

11)Suggest the risks involved in IGF-1 gene therapy.

12)Explain the problems encountered by scientists for administering IGF-1 therapy.

13)*Describe the role of primary and secondary immune response's following IGF-1 gene injection in to the body.

14)*"The stakes in modern sports are high both in prestige and in money".
Which lines from the article support this idea.
Page _____________________________________________________
Lines_____________________________________________________

15)Describe an absolutist's and relativist's ethical position on the proposal to set a maximum total of RBC's count for athletes rather than measure EPO level.

16)Outline the role of transcription factors in the control of gene expression.

17)*How would a change in temperature effect the working of a proteosome.

18)Explain the mechanism of actional potential with reference to para 1 on page 8.

19)Describe the structure of a muscle fibre.

20)Why is increase in muscle mass alone , not of great help to athletes?

21)State two conditions in which using gene therapy for increasing muscle mass is advantageous other than sports.

22)*Why is it easier for athletes to tamper the results of EPO testing?

23)*Outline all the methods given in the article by which muscle performance can be enhanced referring to any ethicla and safety issues.

plz can u gv the answers also !!
Reply 26
Share your Qs and answers :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by medtobe
Share your Qs and answers :smile:

so y dnt u share ur ones too
Reply 28
thanks for the questions.. :smile: appreciate it a lot..
Reply 29
can i just check, the synoptic essays are ONLY on unit 6B right? cos I don't think we're sitting that exam at my school but the teachers have been telling us to prepare for synoptic essays, but from what I can vaguely tell from the syllabus that's unit 6B? I'm so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Hey those questions were really useful, Thank you.
Do you have a mark scheme you can post?
Reply 31
jonathan3909
x

Original post by Pwiii
Hey those questions were really useful, Thank you.
Do you have a mark scheme you can post?

I second this! Please could we have the answers?! :colondollar:

xxx
Reply 32
yea Mark Scheme? :tongue:
Reply 33
Hey v cn work out almost all of the answers by ourselves...can't v? or v can even discuss the answers....
Original post by M Kh
Hey v cn work out almost all of the answers by ourselves...can't v? or v can even discuss the answers....

*we
Reply 35
Original post by chemdweeb1234
*we

exactly....by 'v' i mean 'we'....u r saying this as if i do not know.
Reply 36
In 1989 , the biotech company Amgen began marketing Epogen,an injectable form of epo produced by recombinant bacteria.Describe the risk of using genetically modified organisms??????????
Reply 37
Original post by Maria1234
In 1989 , the biotech company Amgen began marketing Epogen,an injectable form of epo produced by recombinant bacteria.Describe the risk of using genetically modified organisms??????????

They're listed in the guide book lol :tongue:

As far as i Remember . one was Health Risk , Rise to Eugenics etc. :/

I'm doing unit 4 now! Aftr that i'll Concentrate on unit 5! :biggrin::p:p
Original post by Samia99
They're listed in the guide book lol :tongue:

As far as i Remember . one was Health Risk , Rise to Eugenics etc. :/

I'm doing unit 4 now! Aftr that i'll Concentrate on unit 5! :biggrin::p:p

Rise of eugenics with GMOs? say what?
Reply 39
Original post by chemdweeb1234
Rise of eugenics with GMOs? say what?

OOPSS! My BAD! Sorryy! i guess i misread da Q lol!

For the GMO's the Concerns are 1) Genetic Pollution
2) Antibiotic Resistance genes r used 2 identify GM bacteria which cld lead 2 Antibiotic resistance developing in Other Microbes
3)GM-crops cld bcm Super-weeds dat outcompete other plants nd mayb resistant to herbicide, They cld damage natural food chain resulting in damage to the Environment bcoz they wld encourage farmers to use more Selective Herbicides to kill Everything bt the Crop :tongue:
4)GM Crops may nt produce fertile Seeds, this prevents farmers from Collecting seed nd replanting so they need to return to da biotech companies to buy new seeds for each planting. This could make them too Xpensive 4 sm Farmers!

There yu go! ''Possible Concerns over the Develpoment & use of GMO'' from my guide lol :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending