The Student Room Group

UKCAT practice test not working?

I'm running windows vista, I've downloaded and installed the program a few different times, but it refuses to run?
I don't know if it's a problem with the program for other people or if it's a problem with my laptop but any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Try running in it Windows XP compatibility mode. This tends to be a common problem.
Reply 2
Original post by Normandy114
Try running in it Windows XP compatibility mode. This tends to be a common problem.

I tried that already and it still doesn't work :/
Reply 3
same problem here guys---its doin' ma nut in lol
If you're doing your AS now it's definitely a better idea to revise for those as a priority over the UKCAT, as you'll have from June onwards
Original post by charllysaur
I'm running windows vista, I've downloaded and installed the program a few different times, but it refuses to run?
I don't know if it's a problem with the program for other people or if it's a problem with my laptop but any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I'll post how I got the UKCAT download to work. I have windows vista, but I think it will be similar for windows 7. I'm going to tell you a bunch of steps where you type

First you have to have downloaded it from the ukcat website; it shows up on your desktop but clicking it doesn't work...

hit start, type cmd, then right click on the cmd program and click run as administrator

A black box should pop up

type cd\ then hit enter

type cd users then hit enter

type cd public then hit enter

then type cd desktop then hit enter

Your screen should say C:\Users\Public\Desktop

type dir then hit enter

You should come up with a list of programs, the UKCAT should be on there.

Type the first few letters of the program name and hit the tab key

This should start the practice test page. It this doesn't work you may need to substitute your computer user name instead of public in the directions above. If this doesn't work then don't ask me, I won't know how to do it, my computer genius friend told me how to do it.

Good luck to all on the UKCAT and applications!
Reply 6
Original post by The International
I'll post how I got the UKCAT download to work. I have windows vista, but I think it will be similar for windows 7. I'm going to tell you a bunch of steps where you type

First you have to have downloaded it from the ukcat website; it shows up on your desktop but clicking it doesn't work...

hit start, type cmd, then right click on the cmd program and click run as administrator

A black box should pop up

type cd\ then hit enter

type cd users then hit enter

type cd public then hit enter

then type cd desktop then hit enter

Your screen should say C:\Users\Public\Desktop

type dir then hit enter

You should come up with a list of programs, the UKCAT should be on there.

Type the first few letters of the program name and hit the tab key

This should start the practice test page. It this doesn't work you may need to substitute your computer user name instead of public in the directions above. If this doesn't work then don't ask me, I won't know how to do it, my computer genius friend told me how to do it.

Good luck to all on the UKCAT and applications!

yep just tried it now lol unfortunatly doesnt work, but thanks anyway mate:biggrin:
Original post by taunt
yep just tried it now lol unfortunatly doesnt work, but thanks anyway mate:biggrin:

When you download and install the program you have to save it to the desktop, you will see the icon for the program there, if it isn't there then you have saved it somewhere else. And if the public pathway doesn't work it might be under one of the users that is on the computer; that part is pretty specific to your computer setup. So it might help to try substituting your name for public in that pathway.
Reply 8
How do I get it open I'm running mac os x.
Reply 9
Original post by charllysaur

Same here, has any body got advice? I've tried running it in compatability mode but it doesn't even run there eithier.
Reply 10
Original post by rohitbd
How do I get it open I'm running mac os x.

You can't, they don't provide an alternative programme, or they didn't last time I checked.
Hopefully someone will correct me and it is possible.
Only runs properly on xp
Had same problem last year
Phoned em up
They obviously still haven't fixed it
Original post by Caolan
You can't, they don't provide an alternative programme, or they didn't last time I checked.
Hopefully someone will correct me and it is possible.

That is such nonsense! :mad: It's such an important test and it isn't expensive to allow it to run on Windows and Apple.... FFS! Join the 21st century UKCAT!
You have to run the program as administrator, hold ctrl and shift then right click the program, then run as administrator and it should work =]
Reply 14
Original post by Harbour Seal
That is such nonsense! :mad: It's such an important test and it isn't expensive to allow it to run on Windows and Apple.... FFS! Join the 21st century UKCAT!

I know, it's ridiculous, and there doesnt seem to be a way around it. I sat the test a year early to get experience of it because of their complete incompetence.
Reply 15
Original post by TheAcknowledgedOne
You have to run the program as administrator, hold ctrl and shift then right click the program, then run as administrator and it should work =]

Wow I did this and it works! It's weird because I'm already an admin on this PC and account and it never works when I doubled clicked on it. So I pressed ctrl + shift and right clicked on the UKCAT icon and clicked “Run as...” (strangely there was no “Run as Administrator “option, probably because I'm an admin already).. and got a request for Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 to run. I gave permission and the UKCAT practice program actually works now. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending