The Student Room Group

When should I take GAMSAT?

Hi guys, I’m a potential GEM applicant. I’ve just finished first year, when should I take my GAMSAT? In March or September? Or both? And I know they take the higher one so could you theoretically just do both, even if you don’t know what your September mark is, and if your March was higher, they’d look at your March score right? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
It really depends where you want to go. Some unis accept only accept GAMSAT and others only UKCAT, this also depends on your UG and if it is related to medicine.

Personally I’d focus on one or the other, especially if you’re not dedicating a year to revising and doing it all whilst finishing final year.

GAMSAT is notably more difficult than the UKCAT in that it is subject specific to the sciences, so again, it’s down to your strengths.

In an ideal world I’d say take both and give yourself the best chance, but it’s not an ideal world, and sitting both may mean a mediocre score in both rather than an amazing score in one.

As for them accepting the best result, I think that’s the case but I’m not 100% sure sorry
Hey there, another person considering GEM and thinking of doing GAMSAT!

I think the best time to try it is the September sitting because it gives you a summer to practice beforehand, while the March sitting will mean balancing university and GAMSAT practice, which is risky.

And yes, you can do both sittings and they'll consider the highest mark you achieve, however you'll need to report every attempt you made at the GAMSAT. And since it's an awful test that is so long and also very expensive to take, you ideally want to avoid taking it twice. Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Leolevi47
It really depends where you want to go. Some unis accept only accept GAMSAT and others only UKCAT, this also depends on your UG and if it is related to medicine.

Personally I’d focus on one or the other, especially if you’re not dedicating a year to revising and doing it all whilst finishing final year.

GAMSAT is notably more difficult than the UKCAT in that it is subject specific to the sciences, so again, it’s down to your strengths.

In an ideal world I’d say take both and give yourself the best chance, but it’s not an ideal world, and sitting both may mean a mediocre score in both rather than an amazing score in one.

As for them accepting the best result, I think that’s the case but I’m not 100% sure sorry

Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hey there, another person considering GEM and thinking of doing GAMSAT!

I think the best time to try it is the September sitting because it gives you a summer to practice beforehand, while the March sitting will mean balancing university and GAMSAT practice, which is risky.

And yes, you can do both sittings and they'll consider the highest mark you achieve, however you'll need to report every attempt you made at the GAMSAT. And since it's an awful test that is so long and also very expensive to take, you ideally want to avoid taking it twice. Good luck.

Thank you so much I really appreciate this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending