The Student Room Group

PA

Hey guys.. what must I do to become a physician associate? I’ve been checking unis and they don’t need the UCAT or any other admission tests.. I think. I’m bout to start my degree in biomed in sept and was wondering what must I do from now on to have a high chance to get on this course.
Reply 1
Original post by curiousgeorge12
Hey guys.. what must I do to become a physician associate? I’ve been checking unis and they don’t need the UCAT or any other admission tests.. I think. I’m bout to start my degree in biomed in sept and was wondering what must I do from now on to have a high chance to get on this course.
Your biomedical degree is a good three years, which is a good thing as it means that you've plenty of time to prepare for a PA course. Generally speaking I'd use the time to develop your learning techniques as this is essential for success on a PA course (have a read of Cal Newport - How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students).

Furthermore, three years is a long time and when I'd trained no universities were using UKCAT for admissions, so there is a chance that this fact may change between starting and finishing your studies. To be honest the admission test scores needed to get into universities isn't particularly high, thus I wouldn't say this is a massive hurdle to overcome if you do eventually require it.

I'd say the most important two things that you can do over the next couple years would be getting direct experiencing in a patient facing role such for example working as a healthcare assistant. This will allow you the necessary experience that most if not all universities will wont, also volunteer if you can. Another important fact that many 'want to be PA's' will miss out would be having your personal finances in order, as the course will usually cost between £2500-£5000 per year, not including accommodation and basic necessities. This is due to the Master's/PHE loan only covering partial cost of the tuition, so you'll either need to get into a university where they allow discounted rates - e.g. for 1st class degrees or save a good chunk of change over the next couple years.
Hi, I've moved this to the healthcare forum :smile:
Original post by LW&CO
Your biomedical degree is a good three years, which is a good thing as it means that you've plenty of time to prepare for a PA course. Generally speaking I'd use the time to develop your learning techniques as this is essential for success on a PA course (have a read of Cal Newport - How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students).
Furthermore, three years is a long time and when I'd trained no universities were using UKCAT for admissions, so there is a chance that this fact may change between starting and finishing your studies. To be honest the admission test scores needed to get into universities isn't particularly high, thus I wouldn't say this is a massive hurdle to overcome if you do eventually require it.
I'd say the most important two things that you can do over the next couple years would be getting direct experiencing in a patient facing role such for example working as a healthcare assistant. This will allow you the necessary experience that most if not all universities will wont, also volunteer if you can. Another important fact that many 'want to be PA's' will miss out would be having your personal finances in order, as the course will usually cost between £2500-£5000 per year, not including accommodation and basic necessities. This is due to the Master's/PHE loan only covering partial cost of the tuition, so you'll either need to get into a university where they allow discounted rates - e.g. for 1st class degrees or save a good chunk of change over the next couple years.

Thank you sm for you reply, are there any articles rather than this book ( I can’t pay ) that is similar which can help students. Most of the entry requirements are 2:1 but I’ve got my heart set on a 1st
Reply 4
Original post by curiousgeorge12
Thank you sm for you reply, are there any articles rather than this book ( I can’t pay ) that is similar which can help students. Most of the entry requirements are 2:1 but I’ve got my heart set on a 1st

Have a listen to any of his stuff - Cal Newport. Also you can get the book for free - sign up to https://www.audible.co.uk/ (free month trial).

Quick Reply

Latest