The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arianex
Touche. My course at Impy is almost 2x the price I'd pay to go to Leeds (my insurance) or any of the other unis I've had offers from. :/ 22+ thou (+1k increase every year), goodness.

Ouch, how are you paying that?

I think that's why universities like LSE and Imperial with loads of Internationals tend to be very hard-working and career-focused- internationals need to get as much value as possible from their degree!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 421
Original post by arianex
It's hard to pinpoint exactly when in May you'll get accommodation info emailed/mailed (I believe it's both) to all of us pre-frosh; but anytime after our UCAS reply deadline (5 May, when we should've firmed/insuranced) is a good bet.
I've mentioned it before; but as you have to get your accommodation apps in by late July, I wouldn't worry about not having received the email/letter until June-ish (I've been told they don't start allocating rooms until September, as they need to suss out who's actually made their firm/insurance offers.) Beyond that, email them.

Hall selection procedures might change this year so I can't vouch for the following 100%; but in previous years, seniors have mentioned that you go through a series of Q's asking you which price band and room type you're after, as well as your hobbies/interests (so you get a good mix of peeps) and whether you prefer to sleep by 11pm (Beit's out of the question if such xD), etc etc. They also ask you which is more important to you, room type or price band.
You're also given the chance to list 5 halls+rooms of your choice; though be warned that you might not get any of your 5 - sometimes you might get the hall you want but not the room type you put down; or vice-versa (right room type, wrong hall.)

Hey, I'm a first-year at Imperial and I went through this whole process last year. For me, we didn't get our accommodation choice forms until the day we received our exam results, which was late August. After filling in the application form we received our allocated accommodation about 1-2 weeks later.

The application procedure is pretty much exactly as you described, although it's important to note that you cannot prioritize your five choices in any way. Also, the hobbies/interests bit... after discussing with my friends we noticed that they put you next to people with different interests, to integrate different people together I suppose. :P Not that it matters that much, you'll most likely get along incredibly with your neighbours whatever kind of people they are. XD

EDIT: Also, I agree, we should DEFINITELY get an accommodation guide up as a sticky.
Reply 422
Original post by xalcro
Hey, I'm a first-year at Imperial and I went through this whole process last year. For me, we didn't get our accommodation choice forms until the day we received our exam results, which was late August. After filling in the application form we received our allocated accommodation about 1-2 weeks later.

The application procedure is pretty much exactly as you described, although it's important to note that you cannot prioritize your five choices in any way. Also, the hobbies/interests bit... after discussing with my friends we noticed that they put you next to people with different interests, to integrate different people together I suppose. :P Not that it matters that much, you'll most likely get along incredibly with your neighbours whatever kind of people they are. XD

EDIT: Also, I agree, we should DEFINITELY get an accommodation guide up as a sticky.

Hey there! :smile: Cheers for the heads up. Did you put Impy as your firm or insurance offer? Some of the seniors who've been here have said that they got their forms in May like the site mentioned...

I'll hang back and wait for a bit, see if any more Q's of the like (ones that can be answered by looking up the site or flicking back through pages) come up - then I'll maybe start an Accommodation 411 topic or something if that happens. :smile:
Reply 423
Those in a thread for my insurance choice ignore me every time I post because they're evil, so I decided to ask you guys :P

If I'm firming Imperial and making another university my insurance, should I still fill out their accommodation form and send it back? (The grades are more or less the same AAAC vs AAA, so it's unlikely I go there, but I guess there's a chance, right?)
Reply 424
Original post by notepad
Those in a thread for my insurance choice ignore me every time I post because they're evil, so I decided to ask you guys :P

If I'm firming Imperial and making another university my insurance, should I still fill out their accommodation form and send it back? (The grades are more or less the same AAAC vs AAA, so it's unlikely I go there, but I guess there's a chance, right?)

Yes. You do.
Reply 425
Original post by sydneysmith
haha yes, I'm young. I have a late birthday (november). I'm Canadian and it is normal for us to start university at 17 or 18, depending on when one's birthday is.

How old is everyone else? I'm not very familiar with the UK school system, maybe there is an extra year? or perhaps people take gap years?

I turn 18 in november too! High five! I guess it means we'll be stuck in single rooms.
Reply 426
Original post by mitali_x
I turn 18 in november too! High five! I guess it means we'll be stuck in single rooms.

Hahaha me too... I think we'll be the youngest ....
just about to turn 17 this weekend=D...I'm definitely getting a single =D
Reply 428
Original post by dwarfwarri
just about to turn 17 this weekend=D...I'm definitely getting a single =D

Lol....turning 18 on Nov 18...
Reply 429
Jesus. I feel old.

I turn 19 during fresher's week :wink:
How does the cost of private accommodation compare with the university halls anyone know?
Reply 431
Original post by HaouLelouch
How does the cost of private accommodation compare with the university halls anyone know?

Considering the location of Imperial's halls.. they're actually far cheaper than private accommodation. There are apartments in Evelyn Gardens up for rent at £8000 a week and I pay £157 pw for a single room here.

Your kitchen and toilets get cleaned for you every weekday, and your bedroom every fortnight. For comparison, you'd be likely to pay £130 to £150 per week in Fulham or Hammersmith and that's without any bills (and they're both further away than the majority of the halls).
So If I don't go clubbing/eat out and spend money using a minimalist policy, what sort of living cost (everything minus tuition fee) am I looking at for a single unshared room?

What about a shared room with 1 person?

Also do all halls have Internet?
Reply 433
Original post by Dark-Myth
Jesus. I feel old.

I turn 19 during fresher's week :wink:

I turn 20 in November.
Reply 434
Original post by Zottula
I turn 20 in November.

me too :colondollar:
Reply 435
Original post by Zottula
I turn 20 in November.

Original post by notepad
me too :colondollar:

Hehe. Hi5 old people :smile:
Reply 436
So If I don't go clubbing/eat out and spend money using a minimalist policy, what sort of living cost (everything minus tuition fee) am I looking at for a single unshared room?

What about a shared room with 1 person?

Very hard to say, as your idea of minimalist will differ from everyone else.

If it'll give you a slightly better idea, though, the single unshared rooms range from just under 99 pounds pw (Fisher) to sell-your-kidney-kind-of-penthouse-ish 200+ pw (Deluxe in Eastside) - most seem to fall under 140-odd pw, give or take. As for shared with one person, you're looking at 76+ pw (again Fisher) onwards.

Which leaves us with the other areas where your money goes on:
- Food/drink (maybe 50pw give or take),
- Travel (practically nil if you're a hermit/you shun the subway and buses - but I bet that won't happen),
- Toiletries (depending on your level of hygiene-related OCD-ness, this may be pretty high or low),
- Any miscellaneous bells and whistles (like stationery and other emergencies.) Since you're talking "minimalist", I've lumped "entertainment" costs like cinema trips and stuff under miscellaneous; I myself would budget them separately though.

Also do all halls have Internet?

*facepalm*

Common sense would dictate that Imperial *would* be damned if they didn't provide every hall with internet (though wi-fi's only available at some halls - other than that, every room in hall has wired Ethernet access points.) Think about it: it's a top 3 science and technology university.

PS// You do realize that you can get this information from Imperial's site, yeah? There's a full-blown Accommodation section with info on EVERY hall (which includes nitty-gritties like what facilities are available, prices pw, etc.)
(edited 13 years ago)
I have read the costs on a few halls as well as Imperial's calculations on the minimal recommended cost, but since that calculated cost probably include a considerable amount of leisure spending (like I said I will be adopting a minimalist policy if I end up in Imperial, and I also wasn't sure how much certain things cost, like transport), I was looking for some more 'realistic' figures for my situation and hoping the real values would be considerably less. Especially when the minimum estimated cost Imperial provided on it's website is about twice of the average cost at Cambridge.
Reply 438
I have read the costs on a few halls as well as Imperial's calculations on the minimal recommended cost, but since that calculated cost probably include a considerable amount of leisure spending (like I said I will be adopting a minimalist policy if I end up in Imperial, and I also wasn't sure how much certain things cost, like transport), I was looking for some more 'realistic' figures for my situation and hoping the real values would be considerably less. Especially when the minimum estimated cost Imperial provided on it's website is about twice of the average cost at Cambridge.

Even if you adopt a minimalist policy, you're still looking at £6-8k every year at the very least.
2 more days, then we can expect to see an email about accommodation! Still no idea what to choose though =\ .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending