The Student Room Group

Skype Language Learning Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emzaz
Sorry for late response - I'll add you now :smile:
What's C1 equivalent to roughly please? (It'll help me for sorting)

C1 is advanced or fluency I guess. The scale goes from A1 (beginner) to C2 (mastery). Roughly I'd say it's like this:

A1
A2 (=GCSE)
B1 (=AS levels)
B2 ( around A2 levels)
C1 (level you should be after a year abroad)
C2 (mastery of language)

This is only a rough chart. I'd imagine a lot of people with an A-level in a language would struggle with the B2 exam.

The C1 equivalent exam in Germany (Test DaF) is a very trying exam and takes a lot of training (and for the candidate to be very well-rounded).
Hi! I'd be interested in making exchange with a native English speaker
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
All people now added to the list.

Original post by Instincts_2012
Hey, you could improve the thread by putting the profile link of everyone in your list so it's easier to find them - if you get what I mean.

I wanted to find this AS French speaker on your list, but I had to flick through several pages to actually find the name of the person. erm, I'll help you out, hold on =)

The List

French:
1. Instincts_2012 - wants help for his GCSE french speaking. -----------------------------------------------http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=110242
^Imo I find this easier, I don't know why =/

Original post by Xurvi

I'm wondering whether you shouldn't create an actual society for this.
I think you would then also be able to clean the thread of the post asking to join which are useless in themselves, so that the thread consists only of suggestions, skype convo feedback and whatnot. What do you think?

Hi to both - sorry for taking so long to reply - I've been busy revising for my french speaking exam >_<

Xurvi - I think that would be good but I do think a list is useful although I guess without it I wouldn't have to update it! I'll see if I can delete the posts asking people to join - they were useful at the time for keep the thread near the top before it got stickied but I agree they're now useless. That said, if it was to become a society, it would no longer be stickied so then it might fall out of use and dissapear - particularly during the summer holidays when there aren't too many speaking exams and so less of a reason for people to join up. Also, I'm worried there'd be a lot of bother for me to accept members and stuff...
Also, how did you link the username like that? I think it would be useful to combine that and Instincts' listing.

Instincts_2012
Wow! Thank you for that post!! It's brilliant - it must have taken you ages! I should have copied in to the post but I stupidly updated it before I thought about it! I'll copy it in as soon as I get a chance :smile:

P.s. I did try to improve the first post list thingy by adding a link to the member search section but your ideas between you are wayyy more effective hahah!
Original post by emzaz
All people now added to the list.

Hi to both - sorry for taking so long to reply - I've been busy revising for my french speaking exam >_<

Instincts_2012
Wow! Thank you for that post!! It's brilliant - it must have taken you ages! I should have copied in to the post but I stupidly updated it before I thought about it! I'll copy it in as soon as I get a chance :smile:

P.s. I did try to improve the first post list thingy by adding a link to the member search section but your ideas between you are wayyy more effective hahah!

I'm glad that my post was a useful idea :smile: when I tried to use the search function link on your post it kept on coming up with error messages (not sure if this is my fault or not - maybe is) so I just found it easier to link people directly to the person's profile. It's also good so you can see when the user's 'last activity' was, so you can tell whether they're online to help you or not :biggrin:

I think that you should do the 'spoiler' thing =)

French:

Spoiler

German:

Spoiler

Spanish:

Spoiler

British Sign-Language:

Spoiler

Czech:

Spoiler

Chinese:

Spoiler

Italian:

Spoiler

Korean:

Spoiler

Japanese:

Spoiler

Portugeuse:

Spoiler

Miscellaneous:

Spoiler

But at the end of the day, it's entirely your choice, since it's your thread :smile: I do hope this thread will become very successful, since it's incredibly useful. Not only for speaking, but I sent many people my French work to check/correct :smile: It's even better than going to the 'French' section - since people take hours on there to respond!
(edited 13 years ago)
Does this also count for people learning off their own back and would just like someone to talk to and give them help?
I'm trying to learn Mandarin Chinese that way but of course no-one I know is learning it as well, and I'd be up for using skype, give me a chance to use my new headset.
Obviously this means that I don't have a level and I'm pretty much a novice, also it will help in my confidence with using this language.

Many thanks in advance, feel free to quote or PM me for any responses to my question/ statements.
Reply 125
Original post by emzaz
Xurvi - I think that would be good but I do think a list is useful although I guess without it I wouldn't have to update it! I'll see if I can delete the posts asking people to join - they were useful at the time for keep the thread near the top before it got stickied but I agree they're now useless. That said, if it was to become a society, it would no longer be stickied so then it might fall out of use and dissapear - particularly during the summer holidays when there aren't too many speaking exams and so less of a reason for people to join up. Also, I'm worried there'd be a lot of bother for me to accept members and stuff...
Also, how did you link the username like that? I think it would be useful to combine that and Instincts' listing.

Well, you could keep the list. It's actually needed to know who speaks what and at which level.
I'm not sure they would unpin the thread if you create an associated Society. Making a Soc might even actually help in that people member of the Soc would "advertise" it in their profile.
Either way, I thought about a Society mostly because I believed that'd allow you to have some moderation power in the associated thread (so this one) but now I realise I'm most likely wrong so not much point creating a Soc indeed.

About the links, as I said above, when you write your post, select the bit of text you want to be a link, then click on the button at the top of the text area featuring a globe and a chain link and type or paste in your link address.

I also think spoilers are a good idea. The list is slowly getting quite long so spoilers would help with the readability of the post.
After a while, you might even want to make sub-spoilers depending on skill. ie a spoiler for French with sub-spoilers for GCSE level, AS level, A2 level, uni level, etc.
Or using the European Framework of Reference. I think that'd be better as the education level doesn't really reflect correctly one's skill in speaking a language.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 126
I'm glad that my post was a useful idea :smile: when I tried to use the search function link on your post it kept on coming up with error messages (not sure if this is my fault or not - maybe is) so I just found it easier to link people directly to the person's profile. It's also good so you can see when the user's 'last activity' was, so you can tell whether they're online to help you or not :biggrin:

I think that you should do the 'spoiler' thing =)

Instincts I think I actually love you hahah! :love: You've taken all the hard work out of doing that! May I copy and paste it into the first post? ^_^ I shall put a large sentence in bold stating your amazingness! :biggrin: (if I'm allowed to copy it that is >_< )

Original post by damienbearhands
Does this also count for people learning off their own back and would just like someone to talk to and give them help?
I'm trying to learn Mandarin Chinese that way but of course no-one I know is learning it as well, and I'd be up for using skype, give me a chance to use my new headset.
Obviously this means that I don't have a level and I'm pretty much a novice, also it will help in my confidence with using this language.

Many thanks in advance, feel free to quote or PM me for any responses to my question/ statements.

Yeah of course, there's a couple of people who've been learning by themselves but don't have a grade. I'll add you as soon as I find out if I can use instincts' spoiler listy thingy as if I add you now then when I copy that you'll get deleted. I'll add you asap after that though! ^_^ :biggrin:

Original post by Xurvi

About the links, as I said above, when you write your post, select the bit of text you want to be a link, then click on the button at the top of the text area featuring a globe and a chain link and type or paste in your link address.

I also think spoilers are a good idea. The list is slowly getting quite long so spoilers would help with the readability of the post.
After a while, you might even want to make sub-spoilers depending on skill. ie a spoiler for French with sub-spoilers for GCSE level, AS level, A2 level, uni level, etc.
Or using the European Framework of Reference. I think that'd be better as the education level doesn't really reflect correctly one's skill in speaking a language.

Ohhhhh I always wondered how they did that! ^_^ Thank you :smile:
Yeah that would be a good idea once there's enough people. Maybe a society still would be a good idea - there can be this thread for signing up and then use the society to say "hi, i'm online now" or "hi, does anyone know dutch and want to learn english - we can swap" etc. I'll maybe ask the mods for advice.

Although I can see that the european reference thing is a good way of classifying people, I initially intended the thread to help with revision and although it's obviously branched out I'm still assuming that the majority of people who use it will be A or as level and then university and gcse students. Because of that I think it will be most useful to people in general to list people by that. Also, the definitions that are in the european framework are hard to transfer to the a level courses and it also needs people to self assess which could prove inaccurate. Outside of the a level, gcse, university system for now it seems to sufficient to say how long they've lived in the country, if it's their mother tongue, if they're fluent etc so I'll stick with that for now. ^_^
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by emzaz
Instincts I think I actually love you hahah! :love: You've taken all the hard work out of doing that! May I copy and paste it into the first post? ^_^ I shall put a large sentence in bold stating your amazingness! :biggrin: (if I'm allowed to copy it that is >_< )

Yeah of course, there's a couple of people who've been learning by themselves but don't have a grade. I'll add you as soon as I find out if I can use instincts' spoiler listy thingy as if I add you now then when I copy that you'll get deleted. I'll add you asap after that though! ^_^ :biggrin:

Ohhhhh I always wondered how they did that! ^_^ Thank you :smile:
Yeah that would be a good idea once there's enough people. Maybe a society still would be a good idea - there can be this thread for signing up and then use the society to say "hi, i'm online now" or "hi, does anyone know dutch and want to learn english - we can swap" etc. I'll maybe ask the mods for advice.

Although I can see that the european reference thing is a good way of classifying people, I initially intended the thread to help with revision and although it's obviously branched out I'm still assuming that the majority of people who use it will be A or as level and then university and gcse students. Because of that I think it will be most useful to people in general to list people by that. Also, the definitions that are in the european framework are hard to transfer to the a level courses and it also needs people to self assess which could prove inaccurate. Outside of the a level, gcse, university system for now it seems to sufficient to say how long they've lived in the country, if it's their mother tongue, if they're fluent etc so I'll stick with that for now. ^_^

Of course you can! :biggrin:

Let me just finish off all the groups and stuff then you can copy+paste it all in :smile:
Reply 128
Of course you can! :biggrin:

Let me just finish off all the groups and stuff then you can copy+paste it all in :smile:

Thank you!! ^_^ You're so kind!

P.s. How did your speaking exam go? :biggrin:

Original post by Modestmouse
C1 is advanced or fluency I guess. The scale goes from A1 (beginner) to C2 (mastery). Roughly I'd say it's like this:

A1
A2 (=GCSE)
B1 (=AS levels)
B2 ( around A2 levels)
C1 (level you should be after a year abroad)
C2 (mastery of language)

This is only a rough chart. I'd imagine a lot of people with an A-level in a language would struggle with the B2 exam.

The C1 equivalent exam in Germany (Test DaF) is a very trying exam and takes a lot of training (and for the candidate to be very well-rounded).

I repped you and then totally forget to quote and say thank you! That's really helpful - I'll put it in a spoiler thing for people to translate between levels. :biggrin: Thank you very much ModestMouse!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by emzaz
Thank you!! ^_^ You're so kind!

P.s. How did your speaking exam go? :biggrin:

French:

Spoiler

German:

Spoiler

Spanish:

Spoiler

British Sign-Language:

Spoiler

Czech:

Spoiler

Chinese:

Spoiler

Italian:

Spoiler

Korean:

Spoiler

Japanese:

Spoiler

Portugeuse:

Spoiler

Miscellaneous:

Spoiler

^Here you go! :smile:

Edit: Please tell people that the numbering doesn't mean anything in particular, and also to pm the people by clicking on their profile link in the spoilers :smile:

My first speaking exam went extremely well, my second one went terrible :/ I hope to get a high mark on my listening/reading exam (which is coming up in about 1-2months time) =D
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 130
French:
1. Instincts_2012 - wants help for his GCSE french speaking. -----------------------------------------------http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=110242

^Here you go! :smile:

Edit: Please tell people that the numbering doesn't mean anything in particular, and also to pm the people by clicking on their profile link in the spoilers :smile:

My first speaking exam went extremely well, my second one went terrible :/ I hope to get a high mark on my listening/reading exam (which is coming up in about 1-2months time) =D

I'm sorry to hear that your second one didn't go so well but that's good news that your first one did ^_^

Also, do you mind terribly if I remove the numbers? I know they're not to do with position but it makes it easier without them for inserting people into the list :smile: (otherwise i'd have to change every single number if I insert someone at the top :colondollar: )
Original post by emzaz
I'm sorry to hear that your second one didn't go so well but that's good news that your first one did ^_^

Also, do you mind terribly if I remove the numbers? I know they're not to do with position but it makes it easier without them for inserting people into the list :smile: (otherwise i'd have to change every single number if I insert someone at the top :colondollar: )

Yeah sure you can edit whatever you want, it's entirely your thread :smile:
Reply 132
Yeah sure you can edit whatever you want, it's entirely your thread :smile:

Thank you so much! You saved me so much work! It looks almost professional now :biggrin:

I'm off to sleep now - more list updating tomorrow to all those waiting! :smile:
Reply 133
Great idea!
Reply 134

Spoiler

TSR search function is down so couldn't update the few link-less names.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by Xurvi
TSR search function is down so couldn't update the few link-less names.

Thank you! That's really kind! ^_^ I'll copy that in now (I'm on a sneaky revision break lol) and search for the linkless later. :biggrin:

EDIT: could you possibly post it again but without quoting because when I quote you so that I can copy the html/text it only shows me the text you typed about the linkless :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by emzaz
Thank you! That's really kind! ^_^ I'll copy that in now (I'm on a sneaky revision break lol) and search for the linkless later. :biggrin:

EDIT: could you possibly post it again but without quoting because when I quote you so that I can copy the html/text it only shows me the text you typed about the linkless :frown:

Done
Reply 137
Original post by Xurvi
Done

Thank you very much! ^_^ :colondollar:
Reply 138
I do AS french and spanish and I would love to find someone to practise with!
My french AS oral is May 7th and my spanish AS is May 13th
French and spanish AS levels - reaaallly need some practice - my exam board is edexcel and i've chosen education and employment for my french one and health for my spanish one. It doesn't matter if anyone hasn't chosen the same topics as me or the same exam board, im willing to talk regardless :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending