The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature [Pre Exam Discussion]

Hey there...

Post any queries, questions on the English Lit exam on the 24th!

I'm doing Of Mice and Men and Carol Ann Duffy;Simon Armitage;Pre 1914

Share any notes, key quotations, interpretations of the book and poems etc.

Feel free to post anything about the book and poems you'll be studying...

Good Luck

p.s These threads really help and deem to be a real success :rolleyes: (Share the knowledge) :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

im doing Of mice and men and..inspector calls :smile:
OP, i'm doing EXACTLY the same as you.
do you happen to have a comparison grid (i find those really helpful, so i know what poems to compare, and break them down)
would be great if you could link me to some resources, thanks. :smile:
I did Of Mice and Men and An Inspector calls last year in year 10, got an A but I am retaking for an A*

For Of Mice and Men I would suggesting that you make character cards; explaining their strengths, weaknesses etc.

As for the poems; I'd just say highlight them and annotate efficiently.

I personally didn't revise much for it and I rushed the Of Mice and Men part of the exam, this time I wont to secure that A*
Reply 4
Original post by Buongiorno
Hi there, I'm doing "To Kill a Mockingbird", and Duffy, Armitage and pre-1914 :smile:

I'm doing Mockingbird and Heaney/Clarke.
What question are you hoping for for Mockingbird? Any preference?
Oh and talk about light; for example talk about Curley's wife and how she always has shadows with her as Steinbeck describes; gives clues about her dooming the American dream etc.
Reply 6
Is there anyone doing Heaney/Clarke?
I seem to be the only one :frown:
Can anyone link/Pm/send me a page with all the useful Quotations for Of Mice and Men?

I've got some but i just need some more; maybe to regurgitate my own understanding of the book!
Remember the Eng Lit paper is out of 66 marks...

27 for the novel you are studying (for me it's OMAM)

36 for the Poem section

and 0-3 marks for your QWC (quality written communication)
Reply 9
Original post by Ears

I am :smile:. I havent revised any of the Heaney/Clarke poems yet, or looked through them :frown:, what about you?
Reply 10
Original post by king101
I am :smile:. I havent revised any of the Heaney/Clarke poems yet, or looked through them :frown:, what about you?

Yes, I have! I'm worried about the poems, 36 marks :shock:
I've made posters for about 8 of the poems, got about 7 to go. I've done some past papers too!
Start revising now, you have time!!

Which poems are you hoping to come up? :smile:
King101 - How are you?

I remember you from the Science threads in January :smile: Hope your working well....
Original post by Ears
I'm doing Mockingbird and Heaney/Clarke.
What question are you hoping for for Mockingbird? Any preference?

I prefer writing about characters rather than themes/events, so I hope something on one of the main characters comes up. What about you? I finished re-reading the book in the Easter holidays but I still don't feel quite ready :colondollar:
Reply 13
I prefer writing about characters rather than themes/events, so I hope something on one of the main characters comes up. What about you? I finished re-reading the book in the Easter holidays but I still don't feel quite ready :colondollar:

Hmm I don't want a question about an event, like you. I don't want it about the trial! I wouldn't mind the themes like Courage, bravery, race, empathy but I also wouldn't mind characters.
I don't want one of those questions where they give you a section of the text and ask you to talk about it all!

How are you revising TKAMB?
Original post by Ears
Hmm I don't want a question about an event, like you. I don't want it about the trial! I wouldn't mind the themes like Courage, bravery, race, empathy but I also wouldn't mind characters.
I don't want one of those questions where they give you a section of the text and ask you to talk about it all!

How are you revising TKAMB?

Trial came up last year, so it's highly unlikely to come up again. I wouldn't mind racism, I don't think it has ever come up, although prejudice has.

You have to know the book very well, so the best advice I can give is to make a list of all the key events and learn the page numbers where they are. Also you can make a list of all the key quotes and learn these - this will save time for the actual writing in the exam! Have you bought the CGP revision guide? I find it really useful.
Reply 15
Trial came up last year, so it's highly unlikely to come up again. I wouldn't mind racism, I don't think it has ever come up, although prejudice has.

You have to know the book very well, so the best advice I can give is to make a list of all the key events and learn the page numbers where they are. Also you can make a list of all the key quotes and learn these - this will save time for the actual writing in the exam! Have you bought the CGP revision guide? I find it really useful.

Yes, I have the revision guide, it is very helpful. I haven't done much on the key events, so I better do that!
Yeah, I'm definitely going to learn as many quotes as I can to save time.
Reply 16
Original post by TheFootyKing19
King101 - How are you?

I remember you from the Science threads in January :smile: Hope your working well....

I remember you too :smile: Yeh trying too just English, really terrible at :frown:.

Original post by Ears
Yes, I have! I'm worried about the poems, 36 marks :shock:
I've made posters for about 8 of the poems, got about 7 to go. I've done some past papers too!
Start revising now, you have time!!

Which poems are you hoping to come up? :smile:

You have done alot daaam hope you get A*. Im just sticking to the CGP revision guide they have the preannotated poems for you, but I find it hard like in a question if they say compare a poem to... somthing else, I just cannot find one..maybe its that i get nervous or somthing just have to keep trying past papers I geuss. Good Luck btw :smile:
Original post by TheFootyKing19
King101 - How are you?

Hi,

Maybe you remember me aswell? Respiration homeostasis argument lol. Anyways, how did you do in your january science modules?

Hope you are well and good luck,

:smile:
Reply 18
I did the exact same poem collections and novel for my exam 3 years ago, they really need to change it up!
Original post by Ears

Heaney, Clarke here. And Of Mice and Men ofc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending