The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lu-x
Currently waiting for shin splints to go :frown: So so frustrating.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

I used to get shin splints epically after every run even fairly small ones(like 10/15 mins)and i would be unable to run for over a week...

Main thing i did was get proper running shoes fitted and tried to find grass to run on when i could.

Now i can run for 30 mins on solid ground and be fine(well i'm not fine, i fall over and almost die but my shins are fine:colondollar:)
I run up the stairs sometimes..
Original post by Aemiliana
Well done! Way faster than I can run :sad:

I'm still absolutely dreading today's run

Don't worry; I remember dreading the longer runs. But you will be fine. :smile:

Original post by MHorman
Nice if i was you i'd try and find a route somewhere that is not involving roads and stuff liek that as when you're running you wanna pick a pace and just stick to it...

Is there no parks or other places you can run without all the other things?

When are you trying your first 5k run? Isn't that at the end of week 9 iirc?

Yea, i always get stupidly overly hot/dehydrated near the end of the run even if i drink a TONNE beforehand...

I want 5 min a km pace but am doing about 5:20 mins a km average for my runs...

There aren't any parks/anything nice and green for me to run around :tongue: Can't wait to go to uni... hopefully there will be nicer places to run in Reading.

I have got my Race for Life on the 11th June (reminds me, if anyone would like to sponsor then this is my page http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/callierawson ). I would like to do a ParkRun 5k too, but the nearest to me is Willen Lake at Milton Keynes, which would prove difficult for me to get to as I cannot drive/buses are awful.

Thats a good pace, much better than mine.

I don't really know how to describe it... I just get so hot and feel really fainty :s-smilie: but I do think thats probably due to it being pretty warm outside today, and I don't really get the same trouble when I go in the mornings.
Ok so 5k in 29.43 as I expected very slow. stupid calf and heat
Ran 11km today, that's my longest run since I got injured (8 weeks ago). Had a huge smile on my face when I first saw my Garmin tick past 10km and later past 1 hour, this recovery has been very, very slow. Hoping to race a 5k at the end of May, I'm actually a little scared to see how much fitness I've lost.
Original post by teaandcoffee
Don't worry; I remember dreading the longer runs. But you will be fine. :smile:

There aren't any parks/anything nice and green for me to run around :tongue: Can't wait to go to uni... hopefully there will be nicer places to run in Reading.

I have got my Race for Life on the 11th June (reminds me, if anyone would like to sponsor then this is my page http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/callierawson ). I would like to do a ParkRun 5k too, but the nearest to me is Willen Lake at Milton Keynes, which would prove difficult for me to get to as I cannot drive/buses are awful.

Thats a good pace, much better than mine.

I don't really know how to describe it... I just get so hot and feel really fainty :s-smilie: but I do think thats probably due to it being pretty warm outside today, and I don't really get the same trouble when I go in the mornings.

It was really hot today... I felt hot and flushed even running slowly and the wind was very gusty!

I'd love a park run near me too! I may invent my own :tongue:
Original post by Apocalypte
Ran 11km today, that's my longest run since I got injured (8 weeks ago). Had a huge smile on my face when I first saw my Garmin tick past 10km and later past 1 hour, this recovery has been very, very slow. Hoping to race a 5k at the end of May, I'm actually a little scared to see how much fitness I've lost.

Congratulations thats fantastic... your still not clocking a bad pace if your trining runs are sub hour pace for 10k, whats your PB for 10k? How long have you been out from injury?
Original post by dipless
Congratulations thats fantastic... your still not clocking a bad pace if your trining runs are sub hour pace for 10k, whats your PB for 10k? How long have you been out from injury?

PB for 10k is somewhere around 52 minutes - I am slow! I'm aiming for sub-50 the next time I race it (which will be in late June). I tend to shoot for a 5.40-6 min/km (9-9.40 min/mile) pace on easy runs.

I was off the road completely for three and a half weeks after injuring my left ITB at the Barcelona marathon in early March, and I'm slowly rebuilding mileage now. 25 miles this week is still only about 60-70% of where I want to be.
Nice 15 miler this morning, hour and 45 mins, not great but not too bad I guess. Really need to get back into running more on a sunday.
Original post by Serentonin
Nice 15 miler this morning, hour and 45 mins, not great but not too bad I guess. Really need to get back into running more on a sunday.

What are your race PBs like if you do your long runs at 7 min miles?
Original post by warwickorbristol
What are your race PBs like if you do your long runs at 7 min miles?

err 5k 17:something. Don't usually do that short that often.
10k 37:34
Half Marathon 1:26:30
Marathon 3:10. Trying to get this under 3 hours tbh.
Anyone got any advice on what i should eat before and after runs so i have the most energy possible?

Nice you can shift! Can I borrow some of your speed please?
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Anyone got any advice on what i should eat before and after runs so i have the most energy possible?

For me, I tend to have a Bannana about 15-30 mins before I go then my normal Wheatabix when I get in seems to do me well! What time do you normally run?
Original post by Apocalypte
PB for 10k is somewhere around 52 minutes - I am slow! I'm aiming for sub-50 the next time I race it (which will be in late June). I tend to shoot for a 5.40-6 min/km (9-9.40 min/mile) pace on easy runs.

I was off the road completely for three and a half weeks after injuring my left ITB at the Barcelona marathon in early March, and I'm slowly rebuilding mileage now. 25 miles this week is still only about 60-70% of where I want to be.

52 mins 10k isn't that slow! I hate injuries, ITBS is a bit of a ***** for running as well! So you looking at about 35 miles a week, how do you spread it? I try and do 30 min 5-6k trains 4 times during the week and a long 10-15k over weekend.

Was it your first marathon attempt? Any plans for another?
Original post by dipless
52 mins 10k isn't that slow! I hate injuries, ITBS is a bit of a ***** for running as well! So you looking at about 35 miles a week, how do you spread it? I try and do 30 min 5-6k trains 4 times during the week and a long 10-15k over weekend.

Was it your first marathon attempt? Any plans for another?

It was actually my third marathon - did Dublin '09 in 4:24 and had a stinker at Dublin '10 (4:27). Next time I do one will probably be next spring (considering Paris or Rotterdam), I've decided to take some time and deal with the fact that I am quite injury-prone, and also to try and get faster. My next marathon goal time is 3:50 (GFA for London), so this will involve improving my basic speed.

~35 mpw is normal base mileage for me, it goes up to about 50 mpw at the peak of marathon training. A base week would generally look something like

M - 5-6 miles easy
T - 5-7 miles, usually involving some kind of speedwork (10-12x400 or 6x800 intervals, or hill work)
W - Pilates/strengthening work
Th - 5-6 miles easy
F - Rest day (usually involves beer at some point)
S - 6-8 miles, usually with some sort of paced work (fartlek/tempo run/MP miles)
S - LSR, usually about 10-12 miles at this sort of weekly mileage

(to give an idea of pacing - easy mileage is 5.40-6 min/km, LSR is slightly slower again, MP is 5.30/km for now, tempo pace is ~5 min/km, 5k race pace is 4.30-4.45/km)

I tend to do a relatively high proportion of my mileage at the weekend because I have a lot more time free then (I work for a software company, this can involve long hours during the week, and I also have a long commute).
(edited 13 years ago)

You must be pretty high up the womens rankings with those times.
Starting running again tomorrow :smile: Dusting off the old Nike + gear and getting out on the road haha. Hoping to do a nice easy 2-3 miles at around 10:00/Mile. Will let every know how it goes tomorrow.
Just did 5.1 miles in 41.14 mins... fairly please with that as it's hot and my calf is still a little tight... trying to start to build my weekly miles aiming for 25-28 this week so not a bad start
Hoping I can do my run today - my legs and feet keep cramping. I think the fear has gotten to them too :teehee:

Latest