The Student Room Group

Anyone not getting lots of A's for their A-Levels?

I'm looking at studying Geography at Portsmouth Uni, hopefully starting in September/October this year and am really worried about making the grade.

The requirements are 280 points, but I can put General Studies towards it so that helps loads. At the moment I'm on a B for Design Technology, D on my AS Geography, although I got a B on the G3 exam(doing WJEC btw) and a middle E for my AS Physics, although I'm retaking AS Mechanics and understanding it fairly well. I think I'm on a C for AS General Studies as well.

I've just been reading some of the threads and lots of people mention how they get loads A's and B's for their A-Levels, but I was wondering if anyone here struggles with them?
Reply 1
Original post by The Cullen
I'm looking at studying Geography at Portsmouth Uni, hopefully starting in September/October this year and am really worried about making the grade.

The requirements are 280 points, but I can put General Studies towards it so that helps loads. At the moment I'm on a B for Design Technology, D on my AS Geography, although I got a B on the G3 exam(doing WJEC btw) and a middle E for my AS Physics, although I'm retaking AS Mechanics and understanding it fairly well. I think I'm on a C for AS General Studies as well.

I've just been reading some of the threads and lots of people mention how they get loads A's and B's for their A-Levels, but I was wondering if anyone here struggles with them?

Don't worry dude. I'm the same, I got ACE in my AS last year, so not bad, not exactly brilliant either. I'm also worried about getting enough points to get in this year. Worst comes to the worst, I'll do another year at college, and go next year instead.
Reply 2
I never get A's in the real exam but I can get A's in progress tests and mock exams. Strange.

Portsmouth Uni? Please tell me you're kidding. I am from Portsmouth and I want to leave this dreadful city. It's full of chavs!

Good luck tho!
Reply 3
Original post by SQ918
I never get A's in the real exam but I can get A's in progress tests and mock exams. Strange.

Portsmouth Uni? Please tell me you're kidding. I am from Portsmouth and I want to leave this dreadful city. It's full of chavs!

Good luck tho!
Well I've got an offer at the Solent just in case, anyone else know much about these 2 Uni's?
Reply 4
Original post by The Cullen
Well I've got an offer at the Solent just in case, anyone else know much about these 2 Uni's?

I'd go away from Hampshire if I were you. Hampshire may sound appealing to you because you're not from here but not for me as I've lived here most of my life and I can't wait to get out of this Chavshire. I'd rather be rollin' up in West Sussex or Surrey(Brighton and Guildford).

Well it's up to you really. I don't hate Portsmouth Uni. It's good! The night life, bars, pubs etc. I live near the main campus of Portsmouth Uni and everyday and night I see students in clubs and pubs. Liquid/Envy Portsmouth is a good club! Been there quite a lot with some friends. Shopping here in Portsmouth is also great!

If you choose here, avoid areas like North End, Fratton, Kingston. Southsea by far is the best but avoid Southsea Common during the night!

BUT it's up to you, it's your decision. Portsmouth Uni is good, but not the place as a whole.

Southampton Solent, I'm not sure about this university! It's not the best of the best to be honest but I've been to their campus once and I like it. Southampton Uni of course is better than these two(Southampton Solent and Portsmouth Uni).

If you want a degree in stand- up comedy then go to Southampton Solent. But you said you wanted to do Geography!

Take a look at this league table. Portsmouth Uni is ranked 58th for 2012 and 51 this year. It dropped 7 places down.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Geography+%26+Environmental+Science
(edited 12 years ago)
You mean A*s?
Reply 6
No, not everyone gets A's, a lot more get B's and C's and D's. A fair few people on TSR are insecure or full of it.

Also it's worth remembering that grades are not what the world revolves around and that people who care about their studies and suceeding will naturally find this website and bias the perspective that everyone gets an A.
Reply 7
Im looking at the same kinda grades to study geography with gis at portsmouth. I did 3 subjects for as and took up 2 extra subjects at a2 to ensure i got in. Otherwise it is salford for my ass at 200 points
Reply 8
im predicted A C D and i need AAB

ill get it tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending