The Student Room Group

Regretting not doing Chemistry A-level

I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and RS, with the plan to study Engineering after A-Levels. I took RS as I thought it would be good to have an A level which is slightly more relaxed so I can focus on getting a better grade in the other subjects. I am now wondering whether it would have been more useful to do Chemistry instead. Do you think I will be at a disadvantage as I want to apply to universities like Cambridge and Imperial college?
Original post by shiny467
I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and RS, with the plan to study Engineering after A-Levels. I took RS as I thought it would be good to have an A level which is slightly more relaxed so I can focus on getting a better grade in the other subjects. I am now wondering whether it would have been more useful to do Chemistry instead. Do you think I will be at a disadvantage as I want to apply to universities like Cambridge and Imperial college?

Not necessarily unless you want to do chemical engineering. You meet all of the subject requirements as of now, and if it is still an option to switch to chem from RS, and if you really want to, then by all means you should, but its definitely not necessary. There is little overlap anyway, so you wont be at a disadvantage if you get selected for the course either
Chemistry A level has a lot of content and I wouldn't advise anyone to do it unless you really like the subject. I know a lot of students who do maths, FM and physics who have dropped chemistry in Y13 as it was just taking over a lot of revision time.
Reply 3
Have you looked at the entry requirements for the sort off degree subjects that you want to do?
Do any of them want Chemistry - or say that they 'prefer' Chemistry?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Have you looked at the entry requirements for the sort off degree subjects that you want to do?
Do any of them want Chemistry - or say that they 'prefer' Chemistry?

No, but the most common A level combination for the degree is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I just worry about not having 4 fully academic A levels and what that might look like to a university.

Quick Reply

Latest