The Student Room Group

Higher English Exam 2011 Coming Up!!

Scroll to see replies

I seriously hope that the paper is easy and the close reading is at least easy to understand :P, i completely agree for me 2008 was the WORST, thank god i never sat it that year lol. My folio is also preety good (i think) although the discursive is around 900 words so i wanted to make it a little longer but i guess its quality not quantity and i think mines is good so who knows. Awwwwwww, i did that last year memorised around 3 essays for the drama and 2 for the poetry and it didnt work out lol, none of the questions fitted my text and i tried to twist it but didnt work haha, guttted. So know im just going to know my texts by heart and do practise essays. A different route lol, good luck for your exam :smile:
Reply 21
I thought the P&N prelim this year was brilliant! Not least because I just happened to write an essay the night before as revision and it came up in the paper! Very, very nervous for the exam though :'(
Reply 22
Is anybody studying either 'The Crucible' or 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie'? I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me what they are mainly focusing on theme wise etc whilst revising? :smile:
Reply 23
I'm going in with one play and one novel. I know them both really well so I hope to God questions fit them, even slightly. The exam is too soon!
Hey!! How's everyone feeling about the Higher English exam that's now approaching in a matter of 10 days :eek:? I just hope that the Close Reading paper is easy to understand, interesting and has great questions. What texts are you all doing?

Hope to hear from you soon!!

David
Reply 25
Ahhh don't remind me!

I hope the close reading is easy too, it's the only way for me to pick up marks. My essays in class never turn out great, so with the added pressure of it being exam day, FRIDAY 13TH, and the fact it's 45 minuites an essay I'm pretty screwed to say the least =O

Poems; Valentine, Assisi, Box Room
Novel; The Cone Gatherers
Play; All my Sons
Reply 26
I feel gd about it although it's scary how it's not long away I really hope close readin is easy aswell I'm so much better at critical essay part hope everyone passes gd luck
Reply 27
Anyone planing on doing Lord of the Flies in the essay section?
Original post by _Stephieee
Is anybody studying either 'The Crucible' or 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie'? I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me what they are mainly focusing on theme wise etc whilst revising? :smile:

Ooh I'm doing the Crucible. I really hope that a question fits it - all of the past papers I have fit it so hope that 2011 will :smile:

I'm mainly focusing on Proctor and Abigail - their conflict. Just in general I feel good about the Crucible and if questions like turning points, revealing important truths etc etc come up then I think I'm quite prepared.

I'm hoping for an A. Seeing that the cut off for an A is always about 65% then I should fingers crossed get an A.

Good luck!
Reply 29
I'm actually getting more and more nervous about it... I'm actualyl off todo a close reading paper...

I did A Street Named Desire by Tennessee Williams, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark, and Stealing, Education for Leisure and We Remember Your Childhood Well by Carol Ann Duffy, and Keeping Orchids by Jackie Kay.
Ahhh I'm so scared! Friday the 13th aswell, talk about bad luck! Can't believe how close it's getting now. Just finished doing a double essay paper exam conditions at school and i'm not going to lie it was hell :smile: lol
I'm doing - Poetry: Standing Female Nude and The Devil's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy. Novel: The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Play Othello by Shakespeare.
I feel pretty confident about it. A lot of it depends on the passage in the exam, and the questions for the essays. I've got my poems memorised, just need to make sure I really know my quotes for my novel, and learn some quotes from the play, which is more of a back up.
Reply 32
I'm getting really nervous now. Panic has set in and my positive attitude from the past few weeks has gone. I'm not feeling too confident on 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' at the moment and I wouldn't exactly list Close Reading as a strong point of mine so I'm really hoping my essay on 'The Crucible' can save me from a complete disaster.

Nice paper please SQA :smile:
Reply 33
FREAKING OUT!

I swear, once English is over the world will be a much brighter place.
Original post by Albertine
FREAKING OUT!

I swear, once English is over the world will be a much brighter place.

This!

Novel: One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich

Drama: A view from the Bridge

Poems: The Horses, The Almond tree

:smile:

I'm dreading the close reading
Reply 35
hopefully the close reading isn't too bad, i'd love to get maybe 30-35 / 50, but to be honest anything above 25 is good for me!

Prose: Enduring Love, Hills like White Elephants

Drama: Othello

Poems: Afternoons, An Arundel Tomb, Ambulances, To his Coy Mistress

Hoping for a poem question on the structure of the poem, and a prose question on themes or symbolism.
Reply 36
Original post by chr1stopher11
Ooh I'm doing the Crucible. I really hope that a question fits it - all of the past papers I have fit it so hope that 2011 will :smile:

I'm mainly focusing on Proctor and Abigail - their conflict. Just in general I feel good about the Crucible and if questions like turning points, revealing important truths etc etc come up then I think I'm quite prepared.

I'm hoping for an A. Seeing that the cut off for an A is always about 65% then I should fingers crossed get an A.

Good luck!

I thought it was 70??
Original post by Albertine
I thought it was 70??

Nope. Its usually around the 65 mark for an A and then 70 mark of an A1.

Google SQA Statistics 2010 then click the sqa link then scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 38
The boundaries are likely to have changed with the folio, no?
Reply 39
Dear god it's getting far too close for my liking :frown: not looking forward to it at all I just hope the essay questions are decent tbh.

My play is A Streetcar Named Desire, Novel is Remains of the Day, poems are The Whistun Weddings, Afternoons, Church going (Philip Larkin) and Havisham and Before you were mine (Carol Ann Duffy)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending