The Student Room Group

The Official Summer 2011 IB Exams Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loxemori
did anyone think they did part c of question 10 in the maths SL TZ2 paper 2 correctly? the one with the trapezium window and having to find values of theta.

You had to draw the graph on the GDC, and then it was all the values of theta between the maximum and pi/2! I think...
Reply 121
for the final question on maths SL P2 , where u had to find the possible values for x, did anyone leave their answer in range for like 2<x<3 for example? or an exact value?
Original post by dman1992
for the final question on maths SL P2 , where u had to find the possible values for x, did anyone leave their answer in range for like 2<x<3 for example? or an exact value?

That's what I did, although im sure I got the ranges wrong... darn it :/
Reply 123
What did people think of the SL/HL Geog. exam? And I mean yesterday's paper 1 exam, before anyone gets their knickers in a knot and thinks I'm talking about today's paper 2 and in doing so violating the sacred 24 hr rule.
Original post by tilly23
What did people think of the SL/HL Geog. exam? And I mean yesterday's paper 1 exam, before anyone gets their knickers in a knot and thinks I'm talking about today's paper 2 and in doing so violating the sacred 24 hr rule.

i thought the answer boxes were ridiculous. i had to continue half of my answers seperately.

but meh. two of the questions were from the specimen paper. it was easy.
Okay could anyone give me ideas on how I should study for paper 2 Higher english? I am concentrating on Light and dark themes,love,power, beginning and ending of the books and narrative techniques so far..... further info On what I should be linking and preparing for the exam?
Reply 126
Original post by Helena'sIMMORTAL
Okay could anyone give me ideas on how I should study for paper 2 Higher english? I am concentrating on Light and dark themes,love,power, beginning and ending of the books and narrative techniques so far..... further info On what I should be linking and preparing for the exam?

the things that seem to come up quite often:

- universal ideas (love, friendship, ideology, beliefs, etc. etc.)
- individuals vs. society
- ambiguity
- irony
- the influence of the past on the present (that can be answered with your narrative techniques like flashbacks, dreams, diaries)
- private life vs. public life

good luck (:
Reply 127
Original post by meganeira

Original post by meganeira
ME! :afraid:

Do you have any idea what can come up on HL history?? arrghh i'm so worried about it, and I only started to properly revise now. I do peacekeeping (P1), Route 2 + aspects of history of europe and the middle east.
i've looked through some past papers and some questions are quite repetitive, like the origins/effects of ww1/ww2/scw...
Reply 128
Original post by Tommer
There goes the Maths P1 (TZ2) discussion embargo! What did people think? I'd done quite a lot of past papers, and I personally thought that section B was the hardest I've seen. I did not see that last question about the ferris wheel coming - one of those sneaky things they hide in the corner of the syllabus!

THE FERRIS WHEEL QUESTION LOL. literally wrote nothing. well, i got the height after 10 minutes and 15 minutes, and i got h(21) because it was the same as h(1), but literally nothing else. I had no idea what to do for h(8), a friend after explained it was symmetry and you had to subtract h(2) from h(10) or something.

I'm just terrible at the last question...the trapezium window nonsense on P2 stumped me as well.

Ughhhh.
the things that seem to come up quite often:

- universal ideas (love, friendship, ideology, beliefs, etc. etc.)
- individuals vs. society
- ambiguity
- irony
- the influence of the past on the present (that can be answered with your narrative techniques like flashbacks, dreams, diaries)
- private life vs. public life

good luck (:

Thanks, are you doing the exam too? I wondered what books your were doing?
Reply 130
Original post by Helena'sIMMORTAL
Thanks, are you doing the exam too? I wondered what books your were doing?

Yep! The God of Small Things, 1984, The Quiet American and A Hero of Our Time (but I hated this one and I'm not studying it). What about you? (:

Oh and by the way, I didn't mention that the things I listed were from past papers, not from the books. Just clearing that up (:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yep! The God of Small Things, 1984, The Quiet American and A Hero of Our Time (but I hated this one and I'm not studying it). What about you? (:

Oh and by the way, I didn't mention that the things I listed were from past papers, not from the books. Just clearing that up (:

I'm doing 1984 aswell!! hahaha love that book- Hard times by dickens (urrg) Master and margarita by bulgakov, and remains of the day by Ishiguro. I am mainly studying 1984 and remains of the day, cause I HATE HARD TIMES lol and yea master and marg. is just way to big of a book in tiny text to analyse thoroughly:
Yea I understood you took it from past papers but like the peast papers differ so much from each other I Have no idea which quotes to revise. Im so nervous. Just post it notes everywhere!! :smile:
Anyone doing: The Merchant of Venice, The Importance of Being Earnest, The History Boys or the Seagull?
Reply 133
Im doing the God of Small Things, Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea. I know that some really good comparisons can be made between them. Anyone else doing these novels?
Reply 134
Original post by goodnightvienna
i thought the answer boxes were ridiculous. i had to continue half of my answers seperately.

but meh. two of the questions were from the specimen paper. it was easy.

yeah i know it was so annoying! and which two were those? i can't remember. but yeah it was pretty good, i didn't expect it to be!
Reply 135
hi guys, i just wanted to ask a quick question. i made a silly mistake on my hl math paper (amongst many others), but this one involved not answering each new question on a separate page like they requested. :frown: i'm hoping that this isn't an atrocious mistake that'll destroy my entire section B. does anyone know if they'll take this into account when marking? or if it's because they mark section B questions separately? because then i'm really screwed. :s-smilie:
Anyone know what the average mark on the English HL exam usually is (in the previous years and whatnot). I have seen lvl 6/7 past papers, but my teacher mentions that most students recieve in the lvl 3-4 range (on Paper 1 and 2, respectively).
Looking forwards to the last HL Maths paper this week and all the HL Chemistry and HL Physics papers. -_-

Great schedule.
Original post by daot
hi guys, i just wanted to ask a quick question. i made a silly mistake on my hl math paper (amongst many others), but this one involved not answering each new question on a separate page like they requested. :frown: i'm hoping that this isn't an atrocious mistake that'll destroy my entire section B. does anyone know if they'll take this into account when marking? or if it's because they mark section B questions separately? because then i'm really screwed. :s-smilie:

Nahh mate, this paper gets send together to one examiner. There is nothing to worry about, they do that, however, so that the examiner can see more easily where a new question starts.
Reply 139
salutations, any chemists willing to explain to me the answer of this question por favor?

23. Consider the following equilibria in 0.10 moldm?3 carbonic acid.
H2CO3 (aq) <---> H+ (aq)+HCO3 - (aq)
HCO3 - (aq) H+ (aq) + CO3 2- (aq)

Which species is present in the highest concentration?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending