The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 2 - Education and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
In General, just had an awfuld yesterday. Went into the Resarch part of the exam completely blind and knew very little. Had to use commen sense to answer the two 20 mark Research questions for Questionnaire and Persona/Historical documents.

For the Education, I thought I did alright. Mentioned the Functionalist and Marxist viewpoint about education. Couldn't talk about anything else really. Couldn't go and expand into internal or external class factors or genders or ethenicity.

Will have to wait for the result in March, but already planning to retake it.
(edited 13 years ago)
I thought the paper yesterday was amazing. For me personally, the questions couldn't have been any better :smile: However the last question about personal and historical documents I had to bluff my way through, as I wasn't sure what they were :frown: I from what i can gather though, what I wrote was actually right so I'm hoping for an A :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by sammy110

For the last essay one on historical and personal documents i discussed Practical,ethical and theoretical pro's and con's again and wacked in some relevant examples of the use of letters in the classroom (can't remember the study lol ) and the use of content analysis and why it appeals to positivists and also that using multiple research methods and how some compliment eachover.

Overall I think i didn't do to bad :smile:

Hope everyone has a good one! XD

ahhh, what the hell? I swear you only had to talk about the advantages?

The 6 marker and the last question were terrible, but the rest of the paper was alright
Reply 83
Original post by buson32
The 6 marker and the last question were terrible, but the rest of the paper was alright

Yep, that was the question....

Examine the advantages of using personal and historical documents in sociological research (20 marks)
Original post by buson32

I did talk about disadvantages and the positivist/interpretivist approach shiz too.

I didn't have many advantages to write about so just... well did that.
Reply 85
Woo exam went pretty good.
I told yous Marxism and Questionnaires were likely to come up!!
However, the last essay question i did bluff my way through
How did you guys do?

I got an A! 118/120 :smile:
Reply 87
i didnt do too well, got a C! But i ended up getting A (68/whatever) in my A2 beliefs in soc! So dont really care cos i only need a C in crime and deviance to get a B overall :biggrin:
Reply 88
114/120 :biggrin:

Really happy as I thought I had messed up majorly on the research methods question.
Reply 89
what is most likely to come up on the unit 2 AS sociology exam on 20th may??? education and research methods.. i read about unit 1 in january, demography and childhood came up, so does anyone have a clue what will come up on unit 2 please because i dont know where to start
Original post by UE7UEL
what is most likely to come up on the unit 2 AS sociology exam on 20th may??? education and research methods.. i read about unit 1 in january, demography and childhood came up, so does anyone have a clue what will come up on unit 2 please because i dont know where to start

anything can come up!

don't get into the habit of 'oh that came up in Jan so it won't come up in June/May'. Its most likely that certain questions that candidates do badly on are more likely to come up in the next set of exams than not come up!

Just revise everything. Don't gamble. Honestly. Whenever I gamble revision, and say 'I'm going to skip this bit of unit 2....' that bit usually always comes up. It may be me just being unlucky, but this usually happens. Also if you revise everything, then you'll feel a lot calmer and more prepared.
Reply 91
thankyou.. do u have any revision tips, i dont know where to start. is there a specific way you revise and what kinds of ares should i focus on most? and also how many essay questions will there be, there were 2 in unit 1. what kinds of questions will come up in research methods? will they be the 2,4,6 mark questions and the education be the 24 mark essays. it would be really helpfull because il know whether to focusmore on education or research methods. :confused:
Original post by teaandcoffee
How did you guys do?

I got an A! 118/120 :smile:

Well done! I got 120/120, and 80/80 in the first paper - I was amazed!!
Fingers crossed I can pull it off again in June for the next lot!!
as you guys took the exam in jan .. any predictions to what might come up in the may exam
Lol I got 118 out of 120 in education and research methods resit :wink: Was well happy :biggrin:

Whats coming up next? It probably will be different ethnicities or subcultures in education.
wooww thats really good.. how did you manage that? any revision or exam techniques?
Sorry to bother u, but what came up in the jan exam roughly? did u take unit 1 as well ....
Original post by daemongreen

Lol I got 118 out of 120 in education and research methods resit :wink: Was well happy :biggrin:

Whats coming up next? It probably will be different ethnicities or subcultures in education.

I will be so happy if ethnicities comes up. What do you think will come up on research methods?
Original post by lovely_tea1
I will be so happy if ethnicities comes up. What do you think will come up on research methods?

Well historical documents came up last year :/

It's obviously very hard to predict...

You should be looking for full marks for the question if you can list the theoretical, ethical and practical advantages and disadvantes of Participant obversation, structured and unstructured interviews and questionnaires tbh.

You can also talk about reliability, representiveness and validity to support your answer :smile:
oh cool yh I am aiming for full marks in research methods.

Ive been revising that. Do you know what might come up for Families? i Think childhood came up in Jan.

Well historical documents came up last year :/

It's obviously very hard to predict...

You should be looking for full marks for the question if you can list the theoretical, ethical and practical advantages and disadvantes of Participant obversation, structured and unstructured interviews and questionnaires tbh.

You can also talk about reliability, representiveness and validity to support your answer :smile:

oh cool yh I am aiming for full marks in research methods.

Ive been revising that. Do you know what might come up for Families? i Think childhood came up in Jan.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending