The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monkeyonthelake
Someone posted this in the other thread:

This makes me assume that the missing Jan 09 was Donovan. If so that makes me think Ayer is likely to be next. That along with several teachers saying that Ayer was given most attention at the examiners conference. Fingers Crossed.

Including mine. :tongue:
I'm PRAYING it's Ayer. It's the only one I know I can actually say a bit about.
Original post by sarahlovesleon
i don't understand this paper at all. if we get Ayer, do we go through his whole article in our essay like what he argues in each paragraph? or just the passage given? surely we cant be expected to go on for an hour however many minutes just on one passage? for Westphal we did a timed mock in class and i did intro, bit on the passage given, then went through each scholar he lists, you know hegel and marx and all that and i got an A but im just so confused because surely i wasn't really doing it right because i didnt do what the question asked me?

You are meant to break the paragraph down and talk about it. There are two sections (Part a and b) and you do both on the one paragraph. However I think you are meant to talk about it in the context of the whole essay as well as just stand alone.
I am PISSED. Someone on a revision thread had the nerve to tell me RS was an easy subject when I was worrying about revising. Hmph.
Reply 43
lets just hope Ayer comes up not donovan. cud they realli make donovan come up in two summers in a row?? :/
Original post by diamonddust
I am PISSED. Someone on a revision thread had the nerve to tell me RS was an easy subject when I was worrying about revising. Hmph.

I saw that. Really pissed me off too.

RE at GCSE was easy...
RS at A level? Definitely not. (Especially because we two are fast-tracking)!

You hang in there! :smile:

Original post by tnaruto
lets just hope Ayer comes up not donovan. cud they realli make donovan come up in two summers in a row?? :/

Technically they could do Donovan two in a row but then again it's not very likely.

I think we are all hoping for Ayer to come up. Fingers crossed already and we haven't even done the Developments paper yet!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tnaruto

That would be EVIL! I just don't trust them!
I saw that. Really pissed me off too.

RE at GCSE was easy...
RS at A level? Definitely not. (Especially because we two are fast-tracking)!

You hang in there! :smile:

Technically they could do Donovan two in a row but then again it's not very likely.

I think we are all hoping for Ayer to come up. Fingers crossed already and we haven't even done the Developments paper yet!

Oh gosh, Developments! What are you revising for that? I'm getting worried about what will come up now! I orginally planned to revise the Ontological Argument (pretty ok with that), Religion and Morality (my favourite topic) and Metaethics (:sigh:) but after scanning through past papers and seeing one time Religion and Morality didn't come up, I'm quickly rerevising Deontology, Virtue Ethics and NML. What grade do you need for your offer if you don't mind me asking? Once again, I've forgotten everything I've revised so I'm going to have to do nothing but work tomorrow and Sunday and get up at like 4am to revise some more! Can't wait for these exams to be over!
Good luck! :biggrin: And thank you!

I'd better go to bed. Have an English Lit revision sesh and then LOADS of RS revision to do. I'm just going to read and rewrite model essays other people have done! :tongue:
That would be EVIL! I just don't trust them!

Oh gosh, Developments! What are you revising for that? I'm getting worried about what will come up now! I orginally planned to revise the Ontological Argument (pretty ok with that), Religion and Morality (my favourite topic) and Metaethics (:sigh:) but after scanning through past papers and seeing one time Religion and Morality didn't come up, I'm quickly rerevising Deontology, Virtue Ethics and NML. What grade do you need for your offer if you don't mind me asking? Once again, I've forgotten everything I've revised so I'm going to have to do nothing but work tomorrow and Sunday and get up at like 4am to revise some more! Can't wait for these exams to be over!
Good luck! :biggrin: And thank you!

I'd better go to bed. Have an English Lit revision sesh and then LOADS of RS revision to do. I'm just going to read and rewrite model essays other people have done! :tongue:

I'm revising Ontological Argument, Religious Language and Ethical Language. Hoping they are nice questions! :s-smilie:

I have to get 300 points in total but I already have some AS points they'll accept. To be honest I think I have it easier than most people but it's still daunting and I want to do the best I can. (I just don't like doing all this blind as I have no AS grade to go on).
I'm hoping for a B. If I get that I should be fine. I think I may really need Ayer on the Implications paper so that my grade doesn't get pulled down! Here's hoping!

I've got tonight, all day Saturday and Sunday evening to do my revision. I'm just hoping I can become a sponge and my memory will be refreshed easily! I think it's still all in there somewhere...

Just printed off the relevant pages from the Edexcel June 2010 Examiner report. Hopefully they will give me a better idea of what the examiners are looking for in the Developments paper.

I think I'd better hit the hay as well or I wont be able to do any constructive revision tomorrow at all. Then I'll really be in trouble :tongue:

All the best to you!
(And no problem) :smile:
[QUOTE="monkeyonthelake;32085699"]I'm revising Ontological Argument, Religious Language and Ethical Language. Hoping they are nice questions! :s-smilie:

I have to get 300 points in total but I already have some AS points they'll accept. To be honest I think I have it easier than most people but it's still daunting and I want to do the best I can. (I just don't like doing all this blind as I have no AS grade to go on).
I'm hoping for a B. If I get that I should be fine. I think I may really need Ayer on the Implications paper so that my grade doesn't get pulled down! Here's hoping!

I've got tonight, all day Saturday and Sunday evening to do my revision. I'm just hoping I can become a sponge and my memory will be refreshed easily! I think it's still all in there somewhere...

Just printed off the relevant pages from the Edexcel June 2010 Examiner report. Hopefully they will give me a better idea of what the examiners are looking for in the Developments paper.

I think I'd better hit the hay as well or I wont be able to do any constructive revision tomorrow at all. Then I'll really be in trouble :tongue:

All the best to you!
(And no problem) :smile:[/QUOTE

Hi, would it at all be possible for you to email me the examiner report please?

Also to all who are doing developments do people know if we have to answer at least one question from below the line like we had to do last year? I have been taught well/revising religious language but it is the only below line question I have learned, and I am worried that if I don't like the question because it is such a vast topic, or if it is a rider with life after death or religious experience I will struggle. Basically what I am asking is do we have to answer one below line question?

Thank you so much!
Original post by emilyrose018

Hi, would it at all be possible for you to email me the examiner report please?

Also to all who are doing developments do people know if we have to answer at least one question from below the line like we had to do last year? I have been taught well/revising religious language but it is the only below line question I have learned, and I am worried that if I don't like the question because it is such a vast topic, or if it is a rider with life after death or religious experience I will struggle. Basically what I am asking is do we have to answer one below line question?

Thank you so much!

I don't know how I'm afraid. :s-smilie:

When you say below the line do you mean (b) questions?

As I understand it you choose any three questions as long as they are not both on the same question number. Doesn't matter if they are (a) or (b). :smile:
Am now frantically LEARNING Atheism just in case... there is something wrong with me.

*gets off computer*
I don't know how I'm afraid. :s-smilie:

When you say below the line do you mean (b) questions?

As I understand it you choose any three questions as long as they are not both on the same question number. Doesn't matter if they are (a) or (b). :smile:

oh yeah i got that thank you, I am just slightly worried as I have only revised three topics for implications and if those and if one of those topics doesn't come up I am ***** as a fourth topic I do know virtue Ethics but as far as I am aware that has not come up on a paper in a long time... or is virtue ethics under another larger sub section of ethics?

Is that report on edexcel website... I can try and find it

Thanks
Original post by LibbyU
anyone else doing jamieson, la follette and schneewind? and how are people revising for this exam?

Me :banghead: I have NO idea what to do for it. I think I'll just blag it. Hopefully it's a question about La Follette!
Reply 52
Am now frantically LEARNING Atheism just in case... there is something wrong with me.

*gets off computer*

In my opinion you're crazy to learn atheism! don't do it! only learn the ones that are most likely to come up. They come up in boxes as pairs e.g. the first box is ontological and religious experience. second box is religious language and life after death etc. atheism can replace ANY of the philosophy ones OR might not come up AT ALL, so its therefore very dodgy!!

religion and morality is also very dodgy! may not come up at all.
Reply 53
For the developments exam I have learnt religious experience, religious language, ethical theory (natural moral law, deontology and virtue ethics) and ethical language (emotivism and intuitionism)
We only need to answer three but I've revised four because atheism or religion and morality critiques could replace any of them. So if you've revised four then you'll be ok if atheism replaces the one you want to answer. I threw away all notes on religion and morality and atheism because I know they're least likely to come up.
I also threw away life after death because there are too many things to learn for it, threw away justice law and punishment because I had nothing to say about it and personally hated it. That's how I narrowed it down to my 4 :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by angelbones
Me :banghead: I have NO idea what to do for it. I think I'll just blag it. Hopefully it's a question about La Follette!

I really hope its La Follette too! and I don't mind Jamieson. I HATE schneewind its so long and boring and I don't understand a word of it! and there's nothing to really argue or say about it 'cause it's just history. Everyone seems to want schneewind to come up, but I definitely dont!! but apparently La Follette came up last year and the year before so is unlikely :frown:
Original post by LibbyU
I really hope its La Follette too! and I don't mind Jamieson. I HATE schneewind its so long and boring and I don't understand a word of it! and there's nothing to really argue or say about it 'cause it's just history. Everyone seems to want schneewind to come up, but I definitely dont!! but apparently La Follette came up last year and the year before so is unlikely :frown:

Hmmm, I'd be okay with Jamieson... I think.

I've read all the articles a couple of times and dunno what to do now to prepare.

(Of course, I could be revising for Unit 3... but nooo, I'm on TSR :colondollar: )
Original post by LibbyU
In my opinion you're crazy to learn atheism! don't do it! only learn the ones that are most likely to come up. They come up in boxes as pairs e.g. the first box is ontological and religious experience. second box is religious language and life after death etc. atheism can replace ANY of the philosophy ones OR might not come up AT ALL, so its therefore very dodgy!!

religion and morality is also very dodgy! may not come up at all.

I pray it doesn't come up! I need Ontological!

Original post by LibbyU
For the developments exam I have learnt religious experience, religious language, ethical theory (natural moral law, deontology and virtue ethics) and ethical language (emotivism and intuitionism)
We only need to answer three but I've revised four because atheism or religion and morality critiques could replace any of them. So if you've revised four then you'll be ok if atheism replaces the one you want to answer. I threw away all notes on religion and morality and atheism because I know they're least likely to come up.
I also threw away life after death because there are too many things to learn for it, threw away justice law and punishment because I had nothing to say about it and personally hated it. That's how I narrowed it down to my 4 :smile:

The ones you threw away are the ones we've never been taught for exactly the same reason. My Ethics teacher said Justice, Law and Punishment was boring and my Philo teacher couldn't be bothered with Life after Death haha!
I've revised Ethical Language, Ethical theory, Ontological Argument and Religion and Morality. Guess I'd better follow your lead and revise Religious Language and Experience too. *le sigh*
*prays to exam God Ontological comes up and not Atheism*

The ones you threw away are the ones we've never been taught for exactly the same reason. My Ethics teacher said Justice, Law and Punishment was boring and my Philo teacher couldn't be bothered with Life after Death haha!
I've revised Ethical Language, Ethical theory, Ontological Argument and Religion and Morality. Guess I'd better follow your lead and revise Religious Language and Experience too. *le sigh*

haha i never even new their was an athiesm topic do you mean critiques of religion? I'm praying for ontological too, I just hope they don't do a rider q for religious language with life after death or critiques of religion as they have done in the past... but I would just have to focus on religious language and blag my way through the other bit.
Reply 58

Im reaalllly hoping that atheism doesn't come up too, I don't want it to replace any! I really want to do religious experience, religious language and ethical theory. Hope religious experience or religious language arent replaced :frown: those are the ones I know most about
Reply 59
Original post by emilyrose018
haha i never even new their was an athiesm topic do you mean critiques of religion? I'm praying for ontological too, I just hope they don't do a rider q for religious language with life after death or critiques of religion as they have done in the past... but I would just have to focus on religious language and blag my way through the other bit.

atheism and critiques of religion are two separate topics. I reallly want religious experience to be there though and religious language! there's so much more to say about the philosophy topics so ideally I want to do 2 philosophy and one ethics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending