The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi guys! thanks for posting tose questions and the revision notes are pretty swell too :biggrin: I need a high B to get an A overall 110+ :| and I need an A for both my offers. Just gonna revise like mental the next week or so and hope for some luck on the day! Got Maths and Spanish to revise for too :| which sucks ass.
Original post by Ollie901
I didn't realise there was a feburary 11 exam, if anyone manages to get hold of it then that'd be great :P

Recent past papers and mark schemes are here; http://www.johnbright.conwy.sch.uk/depts/science/Y13/Y13-Physics.html
(other exams are on the ocr website, also check out examiners reports if you haven't already - they're quite useful.)

Hopefully see you at warwick sometime, if all goes to plan :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Can I just ask, I need 50 UMS in this final exam to get the grade I want, how many marks is this roughly? My teacher seemed to think this final exam was worth 150 UMS so I would only need around 30%, but I'm not so sure? Thanks
Original post by mr_spurfect
Can I just ask, I need 50 UMS in this final exam to get the grade I want, how many marks is this roughly? My teacher seemed to think this final exam was worth 150 UMS so I would only need around 30%, but I'm not so sure? Thanks

Yeah this exam is out of 150 UMS, so to get 50 UMS you'd need 33% :smile:
deleteee
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pandit Bandit
Can anyone summarise rutherford's alpha particle scattering experiment

I think the gist of it is this:

Rutherford got a very thin sheet of gold foil and surrounded it with detectors, it was thought that nuclei were amorphous blobs with electrons lying inside (like blueberries inside a blueberry pie)

He fired alpha particles (helium nuclei) at the gold foil, seeing how many would be scattered over 90 degrees and get sent backwards; he thought that most bounce off the blob shaped atom

Most nuclei traveled through the gold foil though and reached the detectors without scattering, showing that an atom is actually mostly empty space

Some particles did scatter though, because a few of them were fired in the direction of one of the tiny nuclei - and because F=kQq/r^2 and both the alpha particles and the gold nucleus is positive as it approaches the gold nucleus the repulsive force would increase (as r (or distance) decreases and F is inversely proportional to r^2) causing them to bounce back or change their direction

This showed him that nuclei were positively charged, tiny (as most of an atom is empty space), very dense and that electrons must travel around the nucleus a large distance away to give the atom its circumference

Not sure if that's a good explanation or not - still learning it myself but I think that's the general idea. There's also a way to work out how close an alpha particle would get to a gold nucleus before being rebounded (Initial K.E = electric potential energy = kQq/r) which the CGP book explains well.

EDIT: just seen you delete it so this might have been for naught - good revision for me though
Original post by Rogercbinboy
I think the gist of it is this:

Rutherford got a very thin sheet of gold foil and surrounded it with detectors, it was thought that nuclei were amorphous blobs with electrons lying inside (like blueberries inside a blueberry pie)

He fired alpha particles (helium nuclei) at the gold foil, seeing how many would be scattered over 90 degrees and get sent backwards; he thought that most bounce off the blob shaped atom

Most nuclei traveled through the gold foil though and reached the detectors without scattering, showing that an atom is actually mostly empty space

Some particles did scatter though, because a few of them were fired in the direction of one of the tiny nuclei - and because F=kQq/r^2 and both the alpha particles and the gold nucleus is positive as it approaches the gold nucleus the repulsive force would increase (as r (or distance) decreases and F is inversely proportional to r^2) causing them to bounce back or change their direction

This showed him that nuclei were positively charged, tiny (as most of an atom is empty space), very dense and that electrons must travel around the nucleus a large distance away to give the atom its circumference

Not sure if that's a good explanation or not - still learning it myself but I think that's the general idea. There's also a way to work out how close an alpha particle would get to a gold nucleus before being rebounded (Initial K.E = electric potential energy = kQq/r) which the CGP book explains well.

EDIT: just seen you delete it so this might have been for naught - good revision for me though

Well done. It's better to talk about it in terms of energy changes.
Reply 47
Anyone know of where to find the January 2010 past paper?

Thanks for the Ysgol link, that's helpful, couldn't find the Jan 2011 anywhere before there! REALLY want to find as many past papers as possible for this, as i learn best just through doing the past papers and learning from my mistakes!

Are the Legacy papers quite a similar structure/questions (for sections A+B) to the new spec? Would they be worthwhile running through as practice papers for this new spec?
Original post by ostego
Anyone know of where to find the January 2010 past paper?

Thanks for the Ysgol link, that's helpful, couldn't find the Jan 2011 anywhere before there! REALLY want to find as many past papers as possible for this, as i learn best just through doing the past papers and learning from my mistakes!

Are the Legacy papers quite a similar structure/questions (for sections A+B) to the new spec? Would they be worthwhile running through as practice papers for this new spec?

Legacy papers are very worthwhile. But try not to learn JUST by doing past papers. Try to gain a deep understanding and then test your knowledge by doing the past papers.
Reply 49
Christ, I've only just realised this is on the 21st. I thought G494 and this were the other way round, seeing as that would be logical. My fault for forgetting this is OCR, and Advancing Physics at that.
Original post by Swindan
Christ, I've only just realised this is on the 21st. I thought G494 and this were the other way round, seeing as that would be logical. My fault for forgetting this is OCR, and Advancing Physics at that.

A very ridiculous course! Do you need any help with any topics? :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Summerdays
A very ridiculous course! Do you need any help with any topics? :smile:

The whole thing would be nice :tongue: I'm way behind where I should be on revision, I've been concentrating on my next two exams with are maths (16th and 20th), and was planning on cramming over the coming weekend for G494. Would of then had a week to concentrate solely on G495. This was before I realised G494 and G495 were the wrong way round.

Haven't even taken a peek at the pre-release yet. Although this is my third year of taking the course, completing two years as normal, and then retaking all the exams throughout this year, so I've become pretty used to the exam layout.

Will be back once I've done a bit of a recap on the whole exam, I'm sure I could use your help on some topics :smile:
Original post by Swindan
The whole thing would be nice :tongue: I'm way behind where I should be on revision, I've been concentrating on my next two exams with are maths (16th and 20th), and was planning on cramming over the coming weekend for G494. Would of then had a week to concentrate solely on G495. This was before I realised G494 and G495 were the wrong way round.

Haven't even taken a peek at the pre-release yet. Although this is my third year of taking the course, completing two years as normal, and then retaking all the exams throughout this year, so I've become pretty used to the exam layout.

Will be back once I've done a bit of a recap on the whole exam, I'm sure I could use your help on some topics :smile:

This is my third year doing this course as well. But man, even with in-depth knowledge, I still get burned by some of the question they ask. They just pull the most random things out of their you-know-where. If this was AQA A, I would have found physics A LOT easier.

Just mention the topics and I will try my best to explain them :smile:
Reply 53
This is my third year doing this course as well. But man, even with in-depth knowledge, I still get burned by some of the question they ask. They just pull the most random things out of their you-know-where. If this was AQA A, I would have found physics A LOT easier.

Just mention the topics and I will try my best to explain them :smile:

I'm guessing you sat the London Underground exam then? OCR excelled themselves with that paper.
Original post by Swindan
I'm guessing you sat the London Underground exam then? OCR excelled themselves with that paper.

That's not even their worst paper. I have sat about three/ four OCR B papers that were worse! OCR B really shouldn't be an exam board.

That's not even their worst paper. I have sat about three/ four OCR B papers that were worse! OCR B really shouldn't be an exam board.

Haha that's so true, it really shouldn't! This year's G492 was the worst i think
Original post by readyforresults
Haha that's so true, it really shouldn't! This year's G492 was the worst i think

The one we did on the 6th? I agree. I found it hard, even with all that preperation and understanding :s
Reply 57
if anyone is feeling confident about the advance notice, I found this perfect set of questions and although I have answered most, i'm wondering if anyone is brave enough to try and complete it and post it up with answers on here for discussion aha.. :biggrin:

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=642525&ResourceID=3903515
Original post by JoeCarr
if anyone is feeling confident about the advance notice, I found this perfect set of questions and although I have answered most, i'm wondering if anyone is brave enough to try and complete it and post it up with answers on here for discussion aha.. :biggrin:

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=642525&ResourceID=3903515

Legend :eek:
Reply 59
I know right, big love to whoever produced it at whatever school it was, it's perfect but we now just need to work through it with answers, I have an English Lit exam tomorrow but can start putting my answers up in the afternoon. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending