The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BA1
Here are some quotes from the chief examiner's report from January 2011 and June 2010:

The point of an exam paper is to test the knowledge and understanding of a student. The way OCR phrase and word their questions is like they want us to crack a complicated encryption before actually getting to the core purpose of the question.

Thats not testing our knowledge, thats testing our patience.
this exam is the worst thing ive ever sat!
Reply 2662
Original post by BackDoorEntry
The point of an exam paper is to test the knowledge and understanding of a student. The way OCR phrase and word their questions is like they want us to crack a complicated encryption before actually getting to the core purpose of the question.

Thats not testing our knowledge, thats testing our patience.

I hope you'll have a bit more patience when you're a dentist then...
Reply 2663
Original post by Dim0nIX
Okey so questions I remember:

?) Conjugate base - acid pairs (2)

I don't remember it asking for conjugate pairs, what was this in, like what where the other questions before and after it?
PLEASE READ , TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO ON RESULT DAY

http://www.studential.com/applying/guide_to_A_level_results_day_2011
(edited 12 years ago)
Dear all,

I am sorry to hear so many of you think the F325 examination today was unfair and that it tested beyond the realms of the syllabus. A number of my own students believed the paper to be very testing.

However, it should be noted that this final paper of the course is designed to be more than a rote learning/recall style paper. It tests the overall principles of the subject in entirely new situations and this is the style the paper has had in previous sittings and will continue to have. Questions such as the 'magic tang' one are designed to put the Chemistry in a real world context.

The bipy ligand question was a cross of polymerisation (synoptic from F324) and transition metal work from F325. This type of crossover work is what separates A*/A/B level students and is necessary.

I am aware that there were slight timing issues in finishing the paper, but this is going to be the case in a lot of the A2 science based papers now.

I am sure that the UMS grade boundaries will reflect the *difficulty* of this paper and I would expect something very similar to the January 2011 marks.

Regards and best of luck for the remaining exams you all have!
Original post by spark343
I don't remember it asking for conjugate pairs, what was this in, like what where the other questions before and after it?

When you had to list the strengths from the pKa, below it there was a reaction between two of the acids on the list, I think the idea was to realise that the stronger acid was the acid and the weaker acid acted as a proton acceptor...
Reply 2667
Original post by somekindofusername
hurr durr im so dumb.
i cant do chemistry paper hurr
i have to learn the textbook by heart durr
if a question comes up that needs me to think im gonna sit on my fat ass and complain on tsr about it durr hurr
im fat hurrr durr
i am also dumb and will cry about failing an exam hurr durr

you guys must be actually retarded to think that paper was hard. it was straight forward. not even trolling. yeah ok the time sort of ran out towards the end, but you've gotta be writing too much crap not related to the answer if you actually ran out of time doing a chemistry paper.

hurr durr complain complain hurr durr

you sir, are a ****
Reply 2668
Original post by ChemistryTeacher
Dear all,

I am sorry to hear so many of you think the F325 examination today was unfair and that it tested beyond the realms of the syllabus. A number of my own students believed the paper to be very testing.

However, it should be noted that this final paper of the course is designed to be more than a rote learning/recall style paper. It tests the overall principles of the subject in entirely new situations and this is the style the paper has had in previous sittings and will continue to have. Questions such as the 'magic tang' one are designed to put the Chemistry in a real world context.

The bipy ligand question was a cross of polymerisation (synoptic from F324) and transition metal work from F325. This type of crossover work is what separates A*/A/B level students and is necessary.

I am aware that there were slight timing issues in finishing the paper, but this is going to be the case in a lot of the A2 science based papers now.

I am sure that the UMS grade boundaries will reflect the *difficulty* of this paper and I would expect something very similar to the January 2011 marks.

I smell a Troll. Welcome to TSR Sir.

For anyone with a brain it is clear that the Jan 2011 and Jun 2010 papers were a lot clearer and less wordy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2669
Original post by Dim0nIX
I smell a Troll. Welcome to TSR Sir.

Troll or not, all of what they say is accurate.
Original post by asem93
For the percentage of cu I got 6.43 %

No it was 64.3% you have not multiplied number of moles of cu by 10 before multiplying by molar mass, as it was 250cm3 and 25cm3 titrated
Original post by kjm230293
No it was 64.3% you have not multiplied number of moles of cu by 10 before multiplying by molar mass, as it was 250cm3 and 25cm3 titrated

yep it was dfficult to spot for some...but it would be obvious from the synoptic links with F321 calculations...has often featured with the 250cm and 25cm x 10 or /10 etc Also you had to look at the context of the question...brass in copper you'd expect to be high? 60% something is what I got...a few people got 72 something hmm
Reply 2672
Original post by Vitupero
Troll or not, all of what they say is accurate.

Can you please specify how on Earth the level of difficulty and the extent of relevance was the same in all 3 papers? Please give me an example of where Chemitry was applied to real-life situations in a "magic tang" manner in Jan 2011/ Jun 2010 papers. And give me an example of a question as challenging as the polymer 3D structure in any of those? Maybe you will be so kind as to point out the 3 long worded essay questions for 7, 9 and 11 marks respectively in previous 2 papers? Or tell me the page number in the book where it talks about the validity of food surveys? I am waiting.
Reply 2673
Original post by amyyy24
When you had to list the strengths from the pKa, below it there was a reaction between two of the acids on the list, I think the idea was to realise that the stronger acid was the acid and the weaker acid acted as a proton acceptor...

Yea I remember that and did that, but what I mean is, it didn't ask what was the conjugate pair?
For the [Br2] question i tried getting a constant half life for the graph but it wasn't very constant... haha so instead i found the gradient at [0.006] and [0.003] to find the rates and said how the concentration affected rate i.e when [Br2] doubles rate doubles so it is 1st order

Can it even be done that way from a conc-time graph?
It was the only way i could think of tbh... :P
Reply 2675
sorry for the delay i had to go out...im uploading it now!
f325 was an insight into what we can expect in f324 on the 24th june, which is the final exam for most of us and most likely they're saving the best til last and probably a memorable exam!?
Reply 2677
Original post by ChemistryTeacher
Dear all,

'

As with all exam papers you expect a degree of stretch and challenge in order to differentiate the higher grades. I agree that "how science works" is important aspect to the modern exam for the application of understanding; However, it seems to a common theme for OCR questions to be far too verbose and obscure as well as including a vast quantity of irrelevant background reading, which ultimately eats into completion time and has zero relevance in the completion of the question. This is apparent at both AS and A2 level and is unacceptable. There is also an increased frequency of questioning outside of the specification. What is the point of a specification? If they wanted to make their exam papers engaging, then why not put include great bits of chemistry such as d-d transitions which gives students the big picture not just snippets. For example, when studying F325, we focus on rates and equilibrium but the crux of the topic that is vital to linking the unit is omitted from the spec (Arrhenius equation). Why? I know for certain that my college has had enough of OCR and is changing exam boards next year to AQA. As AQA assessment is "purer" chemistry along with relevant HSW and student achievement WILL be higher. Rant Over.
Reply 2678
Original post by SarahJayneJonas
For the [Br2] question i tried getting a constant half life for the graph but it wasn't very constant... haha so instead i found the gradient at [0.006] and [0.003] to find the rates and said how the concentration affected rate i.e when [Br2] doubles rate doubles so it is 1st order

Can it even be done that way from a conc-time graph?
It was the only way i could think of tbh... :P

I wanted to do that too. Then I realised that you cannot use a concentration time graph for that. Otherwise it would have been in the book and that is why the initial rates method exists. Then I attempted finding gradients of tangents at regular interwals and drew a new graph of a rate-concentration graph. To my surprise it was a curve so I decided that the reaction is second order with respect to Br2.

I think this question was very very unfair since in all previous paper when half life was to be measured it was constant with very small fluctuations here it fluctuated by about 20 seconds give or take. thats 10% of the mean value!
Original post by Ipcress
As with all exam papers you expect a degree of stretch and challenge in order to differentiate the higher grades. I agree that "how science works" is important aspect to the modern exam for the application of understanding; However, it seems to a common theme for OCR questions to be far too verbose and obscure as well as including a vast quantity of irrelevant background reading, which ultimately eats into completion time and has zero relevance in the completion of the question. This is apparent at both AS and A2 level and is unacceptable. There is also an increased frequency of questioning outside of the specification. What is the point of a specification? If they wanted to make their exam papers engaging, then why not put include great bits of chemistry such as d-d transitions which gives students the big picture not just snippets. For example, when studying F325, we focus on rates and equilibrium but the crux of the topic that is vital to linking the unit is omitted from the spec (Arrhenius equation). Why? I know for certain that my college has had enough of OCR and is changing exam boards next year to AQA. As AQA assessment is "purer" chemistry along with relevant HSW and student achievement WILL be higher. Rant Over.

My school is changing to WJEC from OCR next year for Chemistry after the Jan F324 paper. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending