The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Can anyone help me with relitivity and relitvistic calculations I can calculate the relitvistic factor but what do you do when you have to apply it to half lifes or other times?

It is simply, time x relitivistic factor = relitive time
Reply 301
are the article practice qs worth doing? i dont really understand any of it! should i just revise from the cgp guide instead?
Reply 302
How good are pre-2008 past papers? I think that's the year the specification changed, but do those before then still bare a lot of resemblance?
Original post by Swindan
How good are pre-2008 past papers? I think that's the year the specification changed, but do those before then still bare a lot of resemblance?

They bare A LOT of resemblance. In fact the questions in those papers are as hard/ even harder than the 'stretch and challenge' questions :smile:
Anyone doing those case study questions? ( http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=642525&ResourceID=3903515 )

I'm stuck on question 1 .. It's probably really easy but yeah ..

probably doomed to fail this module..
Original post by Geekchic17
Anyone doing those case study questions? ( http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=642525&ResourceID=3903515 )

I'm stuck on question 1 .. It's probably really easy but yeah ..

probably doomed to fail this module..

Which part?
Original post by bear54
Which way does current flow, positive to negative? I heard this is what scientists thought ages ago and they didn't bother to change it when it's actually negative to positive?

Current flows from positive to negative. Electrons flow from negative to positive.
Original post by Summerdays
Which part?

part a) lol .. I just don't know where to take it at all :L
part a) lol .. I just don't know where to take it at all :L

We know that the weight of the ball is proportional to time, and we are trying to porve if the distance is proportional to time^2, i.e.: you are proving if distance is proportional to weight^2

so you are using this equation Distance = k(mg)^2, and proving if k is constant by a certain amount of sig figs.
Original post by 41jms
are the article practice qs worth doing? i dont really understand any of it! should i just revise from the cgp guide instead?

I'd recommend trying to read around the article and learn some formulae (like pendulums in simple harmonic motion, circular motion for the earth spinning, materials i.e. young's modulus = stress/strain) even if you can't do practise questions - since it's 40% of the course so without at least some knowledge even with the best grade in section A and B it wouldn't go above a D.

Also finding those questions hard though, basically all the uncertainties ones I can't do so hopefully there wont be too much of a focus on that.
Original post by Summerdays
We know that the weight of the ball is proportional to time, and we are trying to porve if the distance is proportional to time^2, i.e.: you are proving if distance is proportional to weight^2

so you are using this equation Distance = k(mg)^2, and proving if k is constant by a certain amount of sig figs.

ah that'll be where i went wrong
i tried that, but instead of weight i just did mass,
ahh
im so stressed.

im so not going to uni cause of stupid physics :L
maybe cause of stupid me, either way ..

sucks to be me!

x
ah that'll be where i went wrong
i tried that, but instead of weight i just did mass,
ahh
im so stressed.

im so not going to uni cause of stupid physics :L
maybe cause of stupid me, either way ..

sucks to be me!

x

Mass also works. In fact I original used mass instead of weight, and so does the MS :tongue:

OCR B is a terrible course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 312
Original post by thatgu
Can anyone help me with relitivity and relitvistic calculations I can calculate the relitvistic factor but what do you do when you have to apply it to half lifes or other times?

It is simply, time x relitivistic factor = relitive time

Sorry to be a pain but can someone help me with this and has there only been one other g495 paper,2010.
Reply 313
So how is everyone revising? Doing past papers? or CGP book mainly? Anyone have a collection of G495 questions? :smile:
Original post by Jke
So how is everyone revising? Doing past papers? or CGP book mainly? Anyone have a collection of G495 questions? :smile:

I barely use the CPG book... I don't think it explains the concepts deeply enough. But that's like, my opinion man :tongue:
Reply 315
Original post by Rogercbinboy
I'd recommend trying to read around the article and learn some formulae (like pendulums in simple harmonic motion, circular motion for the earth spinning, materials i.e. young's modulus = stress/strain) even if you can't do practise questions - since it's 40% of the course so without at least some knowledge even with the best grade in section A and B it wouldn't go above a D.

Also finding those questions hard though, basically all the uncertainties ones I can't do so hopefully there wont be too much of a focus on that.

i know your right arh thats making me really :frown: now, i need to get an A in physics which i definitely wont at this rate :'( could you possibly list atleast some of these formulae that you are talking about, please? you can have all my pos rep!!
Original post by 41jms
i know your right arh thats making me really :frown: now, i need to get an A in physics which i definitely wont at this rate :'( could you possibly list atleast some of these formulae that you are talking about, please? you can have all my pos rep!!

Basic stuff like F= mv^r/r = w^2r, w = v/r, T = 2iroot(l/g), resolving forces etc. Nothing too hard, I hope.
Reply 317
what does this mean "Local standards would not be
allowed to travel and copies would
have to be made."
Original post by 41jms
what does this mean "Local standards would not be
allowed to travel and copies would
have to be made."

i.e.: The king's arm isn't allowed to be amputated and carried around to other countries. The King's yard is a private territory. :colone:
Reply 319
anyone know the ums for getting an A in this paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending