The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Summerdays
path difference = n xlambda (for constructive interference) Path difference = (0.5+n)lambda (for destructive interference.)

The second equation is definitely something they will ask us to derive but it comes from E= p^2/2m, lambda = h/p and lambda = 2d/n - like you said :smile:

thought id let you know im pretty certain youl be getting an A* if theres any justice in the world! also thanks for all your help :-)

oh and meridian, does it go directly through the centre of the earth or like via the circumference?
Reply 341
Anyone got some random physics questions (from g495) to ask me? :tongue:

Why are we expected to know "estimates" for the radius of a Carbon-12 nucleus? :tongue:
In the practise advanced notice article questions, one question is: For practical purposes, the BIPM suggests use of a Helium-Neon laser for establishing the length of a meter. The wavelength of the lasers, ?HeNe,, is accepted as being 632.99139822 nm. If an atomic clock based wave counter is used that is capable of counting individual waves, how many waves would pass in one second? (The device will only provide a whole number count.)

Caqn anyone answer this for me??
If anyone's done the January 2011 past paper could someone explain question 10.c) please.

Link is: http://www.johnbright.conwy.sch.uk/depts/science/Y13/P-Y13_Past_Papers.html

Have no idea why the MS has made the ratio rise to the power 3.
Original post by 41jms
thought id let you know im pretty certain youl be getting an A* if theres any justice in the world! also thanks for all your help :-)

oh and meridian, does it go directly through the centre of the earth or like via the circumference?

I think so, it's not something that's really explained. What I do know is that the distance from the equator to the north/south pole is a quarter of the circumference :tongue:

Also, thank you soooooo muh for the compliment. I need an A in physics to get into Imperial to study chemistry. I am a gappy :smile:
I always found OCR B physics to be ridiculous :angry:
Original post by rggregrgr
Why are we expected to know "estimates" for the radius of a Carbon-12 nucleus? :tongue:

The radius of the nucleus of Carbon-12 is approximately the same as the radius of other nuclie. This is always around 10^-14 m, while the radius of the WHOLE atom is about 10^-10m :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChicharitoH
In the practise advanced notice article questions, one question is: For practical purposes, the BIPM suggests use of a Helium-Neon laser for establishing the length of a meter. The wavelength of the lasers, ?HeNe,, is accepted as being 632.99139822 nm. If an atomic clock based wave counter is used that is capable of counting individual waves, how many waves would pass in one second? (The device will only provide a whole number count.)

Caqn anyone answer this for me??

I too was a bit stuck on this question; it doesn't make any sense really :s-smilie: Like REALLY doesn't make any sense.
Reply 347

Oblateness is basically an irregular sphere, in this case a sphere that bulges equatorially, and as consequence the north and south pole squash together. The reason, based on my understanding, for this is because when the earth is rotating the gravitational force from the centre of mass is greater - in order to provide a cetripetal force that causes the elements in the earth to rotate, the gravitational force must be greater than the force due to the pressure difference from the Earth's fluid mantle.

If the force due to gravity is larger at the equitorial plane than the force due to the pressure difference, why does it bulge at the equator?
I'm a little confused :P
Reply 348
can someone please help me with 9)d)i) from last years paper:

http://www.johnbright.conwy.sch.uk/depts/science/Content/Past_Papers/Y13/Physics/G495Jun10.pdf

i dont get how the half lives is 4.
Reply 349
Th radius of the nucleus of Carbon-12 is approcimateloy the same as the radius of other nuclie. This is always around 10^-14 m, while the radius of the WHOLE atom i about 10^-10m :smile:

Thank you! I'll remember that now but I imagine it won't come up again tomorrow! Seems like one of those random facts OCR decide to pull out of their arse once and once only. :frown:
I too was a bit stuck on this question; it doesn't make any sense really :s-smilie: Like REALLY doesn't make any sense.

Haha glad I'm not the only one lol :smile: I thought that that the waves that pass in one second is just the frequency so you would use v = f(lambda) and then v/(lamda) = f so you would do (3 x 10^8)/(632.99.... x 10^-9) but they just did one over the wavelength??
Reply 351
is anyone else finding time to be a bit of struggle for these papers?
Original post by Rogercbinboy
If anyone's done the January 2011 past paper could someone explain question 10.c) please.

Link is: http://www.johnbright.conwy.sch.uk/depts/science/Y13/P-Y13_Past_Papers.html

Have no idea why the MS has made the ratio rise to the power 3.

A better way to think of it, after realising that pretty much all of the mass lies in the nucleus is that the atomic radius equals 4.6x10^-14/6x10-5 = 7.67x10^-10m

The MASS of the gold atom thus equals to 7.67x10^-10 x 1.9 x10^4 =3.6x10^-23 (m=Vxrho)

This is the same mas that is contained in the NUCLEUS because of my previous assumption.

So p = M/v = 3.6x10^-23 x (4/3pi(4.6x10-14)^3) = 8.8x10^16

V = 4/3pi(4.6x10-14)^3
Original post by Jke
If the force due to gravity is larger at the equitorial plane than the force due to the pressure difference, why does it bulge at the equator?
I'm a little confused :P

I am really confused as well. Sorry but this is something that is not explained properly... AT ALL :s-smilie:
Original post by ChicharitoH
Haha glad I'm not the only one lol :smile: I thought that that the waves that pass in one second is just the frequency so you would use v = f(lambda) and then v/(lamda) = f so you would do (3 x 10^8)/(632.99.... x 10^-9) but they just did one over the wavelength??

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Hopefully they don't ask such a question tomorrow :redface:
Original post by 41jms
is anyone else finding time to be a bit of struggle for these papers?

Sometimes I get stuck on ONE quetion that makes me to end up wasting quite a lot of time :mad:
Reply 356
Original post by a93
can someone please help me with 9)d)i) from last years paper:

http://www.johnbright.conwy.sch.uk/depts/science/Content/Past_Papers/Y13/Physics/G495Jun10.pdf

i dont get how the half lives is 4.

100/(2^n)=6.5
Where n = number of half lifes
2^n=(100/6.5)
n*ln2=ln(100/6.5)
n=(ln(100/6.5))/ln2
n= 3.94
Reply 357
Original post by Unkempt_One
Although in practice more like 80-85 for an A*, 70-75 for an A etc.

yup :smile:
Reply 358
E = kt

or

E= 1.5kt?
Reply 359

Original post by Jke
100/(2^n)=6.5
Where n = number of half lifes
2^n=(100/6.5)
n*ln2=ln(100/6.5)
n=(ln(100/6.5))/ln2