The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kttt101
did anyone put that the difference in speed of the two wavelengths due to the refraction would cause the superposition effect to break down?

i totally guessed that

That's kind of what I put. I said that the phase difference would start to become more constant as the refractive index decreases and thu the phasors become more and more out of phase - but I totally guessed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kttt101
did anyone put that the difference in speed of the two wavelengths due to the refraction would cause the superposition effect to break down?

i totally guessed that

See my post above, that was what I put . . .
Original post by kttt101
it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be actually

yeah exactly that.. but i ended up dividing the emf by two... took a risk! if it turns out wrong it will only be a mark

Oh, why did you divide by two, is it because it said average? Hmm... that's a good point.

Yeah, it went better than a lot of the past papers I have done, I think.
Reply 743
Original post by Summerdays
Oh, why did you divide by two, is it because it said average? Hmmmm... that's a good point.

yeah i guessed that at the start of rotation it would be cutting virtually no flux and at the end it would cut the max amount of flux which we'd already worked out so i just did half of what i got

it was a bit random. i was expecting the last couple of questions on part b to be a magnetism one which is good because thats my weakest area
Reply 744
Original post by Unkempt_One
See my post above, that was what I put . . .

ok.. take it from your predicted youre pretty smart so ill take your word for it!:P
Reply 745
Original post by arianex
Mass of U-235 per year:

Multiply Watts/power given by number of seconds in a year, get total energy used per year.

Divide total energy by energy released per fission to get no of nuclei that decay.

Get actual mass of one U-235 nucleus by multiplying 235 by u to get mass in kg

Multiply no of nuclei by the mass...result?

Cheers mate shame that i didn't get that :frown:
Reply 746
do we got a post about the upcoming unit4 ?? or do we just stick with here ?
Reply 747
Oh, why did you divide by two, is it because it said average? Hmm... that's a good point.

On the one with the ring, i thought it was an average because of the way the ring was moving. It wasn't spinning it was just sort of falling, so i thought the bottom part of the ring which didn't move much only cut a few lines, whilst the top part covered a larger distance cutting more lines. So i thought the normal calculation could be the average. :confused:
Original post by 5liam5
On the one with the ring, i thought it was an average because of the way the ring was moving. It wasn't spinning it was just sort of falling, so i thought the bottom part of the ring which didn't move much only cut a few lines, whilst the top part covered a larger distance cutting more lines. So i thought the normal calculation could be the average. :confused:

I think it did spin, but it only did 1/4 of a rotation. If it just feel without spinning then the flux lines through the area of the coil would be constant, I think.
Reply 749
I got 5kg for for the mass or uranium :/ must have put it into my calculator wrong or something
Reply 750
I think it did spin, but it only did 1/4 of a rotation. If it just feel without spinning then the flux lines through the area of the coil would be constant, I think.

Aah man i didn't quarter it or anything.. Think i get 0.1V or something.
Original post by kttt101
it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be actually

yeah exactly that.. but i ended up dividing the emf by two... took a risk! if it turns out wrong it will only be a mark

I used the normal equation, i thought it would be average because the normal flux linkage/time graph is a curve, but we calculated the straight line gradient between the points and 0... so i guessed that our equation didn't take into account this curve?
Original post by Geekchic17
I used the normal equation, i thought it would be average because the normal flux linkage/time graph is a curve, but we calculated the straight line gradient between the points and 0... so i guessed that our equation didn't take into account this curve?

Yeah that's what I did.

Geekchick, what did you put for the 800 minima question?
Reply 753
Original post by Keckers
I got 4.35 people and rounded it up to 5. I hate those questions haha

I was generally pretty happy with the paper, hopefully it will be the 2nd A for my durham offer :biggrin:

I did this too :biggrin:
Yeah that's what I did.

Geekchick, what did you put for the 800 minima question?

Erm .. The one asking for wavelength?
2d = phase difference i think of n/2(lambda) but n is odd, so i think thats the same as your 2n+1 lambda version?
I can't really remember
I seem to remember i got somehting like 525 nm for a wavelength somewhere down the line ..? it was like 525 accurate so i presumed it was right?
Reply 755
Just spotted this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13857911

Was this our physics paper or a different one? Sorry if it's already been mentioned on here.
Reply 756
did anyone else get like 4.96 kg for the mass of uranium used??
Original post by LALP10
Just spotted this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13857911

Was this our physics paper or a different one? Sorry if it's already been mentioned on here.

I think it was OCR A (From what people were saying before)
Original post by Geekchic17
Erm .. The one asking for wavelength?
2d = phase difference i think of n/2(lambda) but n is odd, so i think thats the same as your 2n+1 lambda version?
I can't really remember
I seem to remember i got somehting like 525 nm for a wavelength somewhere down the line ..? it was like 525 accurate so i presumed it was right?

Yeah, I got 525 nm. The difference between the two answers is minimal.
Reply 759
Original post by vit1008
did anyone else get like 4.96 kg for the mass of uranium used??

Think i got 2000kg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending